March or Die thoughts 2021....

6 hours ago, craiga said:

This may be a minority opinion here on DCP, but I strenuously disagree with the premise of the OP.    To be clear, I am 61 and have spent 41 of those years in and around the Boston Crusaders.  I LOVED Cadets 2021!  I loved Rocky Point, Land Race from Far and Away, and pretty much everything else from their show.  The classic uniforms were authentic Cadets and just as importantly, worn by those kids with authenticity.  As a drill guy, I LOVED the Z pull, and while I didn't see Phantom in person, the video I saw of them with the kick out at the end of their show literally gave me goose bumps.

But, the problem is...I am 61.  How many years left do I have as a fan buying tickets and travelling to shows.....5?  10?  More I hope?

Someone connected with Boston for whom I have the utmost respect and who is only 10 years younger than me said the following to me this summer, "Craig, we have to connect with and appeal to 20 year old college kids instead of 70 year old men if we are to last another 80 years."  It pains me to admit it, but he was right.  In the case of BAC, I think they have been quite adept at threading that needle for the last several years, but it is clearly a balancing act, for all corps, not just Boston.  Corps that cannot adapt and move ahead to appeal to the continually changing fans risk ending up on the dead corps list, which grows every year.  As a "Legacy Fan", I would have loved to see Boston perform "California Dreamin,", "Hava Nagilia", and full out "Conquest" this summer (which was technically their 80th anniversary season btw).

I am so glad they didn't.

A lot of truth there.  But, I would suggest a word of caution that assuming kids today don't like standing ovation shows seems quite a stretch.  To think kids today didn't get a kick out of the shows this year would be quite a disconnect.  Perhaps, we should be actually ASKING them what they would like to do rather than telling them what is good or forcing down their throats for 40/50 year old designers say is "good".  Simply stating as a "fact" that we have to do XYZ to attract people...I dunno.  A LOT of assuming there.  The problem IMHO is wanting to win on some score sheet is driving this rather than entertainment and fun.  Couple that with what a few..make that VERY few consider what is good and entertaining vs regular people paying the vast majority of the tickets and flo.  I really don't need someone to look down on me and state what is good when I (and everyone else) are quite capable of coming to that  conclusion.  I can say for a fact, after the shows this year, what I consider good was overwhelmingly supported.  Corps snobs this year were certainly put in their place whether they accept that reality or not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

A lot of truth there.  But, I would suggest a word of caution that assuming kids today don't like standing ovation shows seems quite a stretch.  To think kids today didn't get a kick out of the shows this year would be quite a disconnect.  Perhaps, we should be actually ASKING them what they would like to do rather than telling them what is good or forcing down their throats for 40/50 year old designers say is "good".  Simply stating as a "fact" that we have to do XYZ to attract people...I dunno.  A LOT of assuming there.  The problem IMHO is wanting to win on some score sheet is driving this rather than entertainment and fun.  Couple that with what a few..make that VERY few consider what is good and entertaining vs regular people paying the vast majority of the tickets and flo.  I really don't need someone to look down on me and state what is good when I (and everyone else) are quite capable of coming to that  conclusion.  I can say for a fact, after the shows this year, what I consider good was overwhelmingly supported.  Corps snobs this year were certainly put in their place whether they accept that reality or not.

entertainment is as subjective as assuming something wasn't. By the way , IMO if a corps merely came out deserved support no matter what they did or even how well they did it. and that's what happened...........as it should have

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Fair points...and I am not suggesting that we shouldn't strive for standing ovations in all of our shows or that this  summer's members didn't enjoy the audience love they received.  I just think many of us (including myself) reacted with legitimate nostalgia to some of the shows this summer and I'm not convinced that approach is a a long term strategy for our activity.  I get tears in my eyes whenever Boston plays Conquest or parts of GIANT in the show, but I don't believe that would necessarily appeal to a modern college student without the historical connection that those of us who marched in the 80s have..

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

entertainment is as subjective as assuming something wasn't. By the way , IMO if a corps merely came out deserved support no matter what they did or even how well they did it. and that's what happened...........as it should have

Indeed it is.  If this were the case the "snobs" would be showing up for open class corps shows.  One can, if one is honest about things, ascertain a level of crowd reaction to what is being performed.  If a majority support said performance, and they show it as standing ovations, this cannot be ignored or trivialized.  Just like a few people posting ad nauseam doesn't change these realities.

2 minutes ago, craiga said:

but I don't believe that would necessarily appeal to a modern college student without the historical connection that those of us who marched in the 80s have..

Why assume this?  I mean, a LOT of assumptions.  From the kids I talked to this year, I am not seeing, feeling or hearing this.

2 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Indeed it is.  If this were the case the "snobs" would be showing up for open class corps shows.  One can, if one is honest about things, ascertain a level of crowd reaction to what is being performed.  If a majority support said performance, and they show it as standing ovations, this cannot be ignored or trivialized.  Just like a few people posting ad nauseam doesn't change these realities.

what doesnt show up for OC shows are some of the same who continually complain how OC is not supported. Also many of the same who support the parking lot before the smaller corps in the stadium. Seen it all 1st hand.

7 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

what doesnt show up for OC shows are some of the same who continually complain how OC is not supported. Also many of the same who support the parking lot before the smaller corps in the stadium. Seen it all 1st hand.

Not from my vast amount of my personal experiences.  From what I have seen, the people listening to the purity of horn lines before the goo is a huge motivation.  A sad truth.

Edited by Mello Dude

2 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Why assume this?  I mean, a LOT of assumptions.  From the kids I talked to this year, I am not seeing, feeling or hearing this.

That's good to hear.  I just think we need to make sure that we aren't hoping to do the "Greatest Hits of 19--" going forward, because I just don't see that activity growing from that philosophy.  I have tons of Legacy dvds at home, and I ended up watching all of them at some point during the pandemic.  Even cross-town rivals 27th Lancers brought a tear to my eyes, but as an activity. we need to be fresh as well.  Just my opinion folks....I for one wouldn't mind a "Legacy Division" in DCI which would focus on the shows and music of yesterday.  I simply don't think that's workable for the activity as a whole.

And did I mention, I LOVED THE 2021 CADETS!   🙂  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mello Dude said:

Not from my vast amount of my personal experiences.  From what I have seen, the people listening to the purity of horn lines before the goo is a huge motivation.  A sad truth.

One only has to look at  at empty stadiums for OC on tour and ask an OC member how that feels...now thats the sad truth. I've said for many many years if people want OC to have a bigger voice GET IN THE SEATS, instead of talking about it...it works

Just now, craiga said:

That's good to hear.  I just think we need to make sure that we aren't hoping to do the "Greatest Hits of 19--" going forward, because I just don't see that activity growing from that philosophy.  I have tons of Legacy dvds at home, and I ended up watching all of them at some point during the pandemic.  Even cross-town rivals 27th Lancers brought a tear to my eyes, but as an activity. we need to be fresh as well.  Just my opinion folks....I for one wouldn't mind a "Legacy Division" in DCI which would focus on the shows and music of yesterday.  I simply don't think that's workable for the activity as a whole.

And did I mention, I LOVED THE 2021 CADETS!   🙂  

No one is saying that.  But, what you are saying and implying is that a corps that plays say Mahler (or any other piece that has been played whenever)  is automatically not helping the activity or drawing members. Which I find no support or reality supporting this assumption.   

• Like 3