Hadestown in DCI

Hadestown is truly an extraordinary show. My girl and I traveled to New York about 4 weeks ago to see this show and also The Music Man. Kristen had already see Hadestown 2 times, but I had not. I was blown away. It is amazing what they do with the stage. The singers are amazing. Patrick Page is one amazing bass vocalist, and frankly all the singers in the show are incredible; but for me the most thrilling part of the show is the young man that plays Orpheus. What an incredible and unique voice. 

I think a truncated version could be possible on the DCI field. Not an easy show to conceptualize for the field in 12.5 minutes. I don't see how you could do this show in some corps proper uniform. You definitely have to go costumes. You need the lights. You would have to be very creative with set design and props. It would take a very serious and locked-in design team to nail this. 

Not sure you could get the copyrights to do this just yet. But you never know. Crown did a tune from Wicked. 

It’s the two tales of Orpheus and Eurydice, and Hades and Persephone interwoven.  The stores are 1000s of years old. 

You don’t need anything to tell the story except an understanding of the inciting incidents, a couple key points, the tragedy, and the continuous cycle.

This isn’t some show way out in left field like  the inner thoughts at a psychedelic traffic stop, or an art gallery. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

I've never seen Hadestown but I do think there should totally be some more musical-style songs in DCI, they can work really well. I love the original myth, surprisingly I haven't seen many Greek themes in DCI

If we're talking about musicals we wanna see in drum corps, I raise you La La Land. I played an arrangement of the movie's soundtrack for high school concert band, and it sounds beautiful with brass. I know there was a corps a couple years ago that did a La La Land inspired show (can't remember who) but didn't use the movie music. If someone could somehow get the license, it would be a really unique and fun show.

30 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I've never seen Hadestown but I do think there should totally be some more musical-style songs in DCI, they can work really well. I love the original myth, surprisingly I haven't seen many Greek themes in DCI

If we're talking about musicals we wanna see in drum corps, I raise you La La Land. I played an arrangement of the movie's soundtrack for high school concert band, and it sounds beautiful with brass. I know there was a corps a couple years ago that did a La La Land inspired show (can't remember who) but didn't use the movie music. If someone could somehow get the license, it would be a really unique and fun show.

That would be Pacific Crest in 2018, and I’m pretty sure they had at least one La La Land song in that show.

Of course, if we’re looking for the closest thing to a “Broadway” show to hit the competitive field in the past decade, there’s Academy’s 2015 Mary Poppins show, where they even based many of their arrangements of each tune on those used in the Cameron Mackintosh stage adaptation.

5 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

That would be Pacific Crest in 2018, and I’m pretty sure they had at least one La La Land song in that show.

Of course, if we’re looking for the closest thing to a “Broadway” show to hit the competitive field in the past decade, there’s Academy’s 2015 Mary Poppins show, where they even based many of their arrangements of each tune on those used in the Cameron Mackintosh stage adaptation.

If you’ve ever seen a Broadway show load in and out of a venue, this era of drum corps can’t be much more like Broadway tours unless it’s hiring the IATSE to assemble the sets at this point and paying people like me money to spec power and video systems.

It’s literally mimicking how we tour concerts (with all their stuff) from stadium to stadium.   Corps have stage managers as staff now.  Because that’s the amount of coordination required for all the components on the field.   It’s so close to what we do in concerts that I’m not certain I want to spend money on a ticket anymore. Because it resembles too much of what I spend my working life in. 

Edited by C.Holland

• 1 month later...

The last time I saw a completely straight forward music show ... was 2009 SCV - Ballet for Martha

It was bucking the trend in 2009, which worked for them.

IMO, if a corps were to do a straight up show based on music alone ... they would have to overwrite the crap out of it. 

I'm not sure anyone has the guts to do that anymore ... or wants to.