What are your controversial marching arts opinions?

1 hour ago, CAtenhut said:

Your first three bullets... 🔥🔥🔥

No opinion on '87 SCV losing to Garfield's perfect percussion?

You sure you wanna go there???

lol nah I’m an equal opportunity defender and offender …87 SCV was the single greatest pure 3:30 in drum corps history w the Russian Xmas opener. But the better corps and show won. 87 Garfield is an absolutely insane viewing/listening experience, even 35+ years on.

Honestly couldn’t tell you on percussion- predates my introduction to the activity by about 5 years and it’s impossible to tell on recordings from back in those days.

The Beat My Heart Skipped and Re:Rite of Spring are the two most underrated BD shows

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

My biggest disappointment this DCI season centers around the music arranging. Generally, too many selections sound disjointed, even abrasive. It’s as if the brass and percussion is now being used as an interlude between dance routines and body posing. The sound contributions are often not melodic.  Well played and showing a command of the instrument, of course!  But, to me, just quick hits without enduring value.

I go back and forth on music arranging often. While I think some corps pull off multiple selections pieces pretty well (BD in particular,) I think there's value in playing only 4-5 pieces or music from a single symphony or collection. The Cadets and Phantom are  perfect examples this year that you don't need 7-10 pieces to sound good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

The Beat My Heart Skipped and Re:Rite of Spring are the two most underrated BD 

Ha! BDs most likeable shows are when they don't win. 

I do love 1930 though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MBo1974 said:

-That often content is rewarded when it isn't present. 

-Crown 2012 should have won

I am sure there are more.

The following are not controversial or unpopular opinions:

Crown 2012 or 2015 should have won

Phantom 1989 was robbed

https://youtu.be/xAmTXlYADtM

• Thanks 2

My controversial opinions:

The captions should hold more weight in scoring (brass,percussion, even guard)

Madison 2019 should have been a lot closer to making finals.

The best years for DCI by a country mile were 1980 and 2015

We need more shows like Jersey Surf 2012, Bridgemen 1980, Jersey Surf 2004, and VK as a whole.  Where is the funny corps? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

Ha! BDs most likeable shows are when they don't win. 

I do love 1930 though. 

The funny thing for me is that in the 2000s, I really didn’t care for BD at all. Even their shows From the 80s and 90s are hit and miss for me. But when they switched their design approach in 2008, something just clicked. I’ve loved quite literally every single show they’ve done from 2008 to present. 2010 is one of my favorites of their modern shows even though it is still very widely disliked 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The funny thing for me is that in the 2000s, I really didn’t care for BD at all. Even their shows From the 80s and 90s are hit and miss for me. But when they switched their design approach in 2008, something just clicked. I’ve loved quite literally every single show they’ve done from 2008 to present. 2010 is one of my favorites of their modern shows even though it is still very widely disliked 

The 2010 show is an acquired taste but I can appreciate it. When a show as palatable as Mad World doesn't win fans get angry.

You don't see to many people raving about BD 2012,2015, or 2019 either- because the by in large fan favorite won silver.

Metamorph and Feliniesque get some appreciation because Tilt and Oroboros were a great shows but not  championship quality shows.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

If DCI truly wants to be "International," then they should start the push to have it included in the World Games.

I live in Alabama, and the World Games are now all the rage around here since they are being held in Birmingham. The World Games are basically all the (warm weather) sports/competitive arts that have been invented but are not played professionally nor included in the Olympics. We're talking things like inline skate hockey, sumo, finswimming, tug-of-war, ballroom dancing, parkour, something called korfball, drone racing, orienteering, etc, etc. They are held every 4 years, in between the years the summer and winter Olympics are held.

Whattaya say? An all-star corps that gets to represent the USA in the World Games Drum Corps competition, "coached" by the staff of the DCI Finals winner in the year prior, that competes against other country's all-star corps. Limit the prop size to something manageable (they have to fit on the plane), and maybe have other limitations to make it more travel-friendly.

If it works out, and the activity grows, then go for the Olympics!