What are your controversial marching arts opinions?

13 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Hey! Glad to see you're doing well!

Fair enough! I was also thinking about the original poster too, but I didn't know you were who you are.

Carry on!

Haha happy to be back and forthing  with you again! I’m just fine and I hope the same for you. 

Edited by squarepush
Who cares 😂
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, squarepush said:

Haha happy to be back and forthing  with you again! I’m just fine and I hope the same for you. 

I just had an issue with a newcomer on here, “new blood” as you say, maybe they’re not the most attuned to the history, culture, attitude whatever. But they were positive and loved what they were seeing. Just to be eye rolled and essentially told “yea ok, whatever you say 🙄” or  “ew millennial 🚨” is so rude for no reason. 

I totally understand and agree with you.

Every person is different. I used to be more adversarial around here, but now l am trying to be reasonable with everyone, especially after all the horribleness in the world. I hope it will be infectious.

Besides, I'm the same age as DCI; I sometimes complain about younger people too!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I totally understand and agree with you.

Every person is different. I used to be more adversarial around here, but now l am trying to be reasonable with everyone, especially after all the horribleness in the world. I hope it will be infectious.

Besides, I'm the same age as DCI; I sometimes complain about younger people too!

Oh I know, a few years ago I had an opinion and I’d defend that to the death. Now not so much anymore. Especially with drum corps context. Really I enjoy every single show. I’ve exhausted my hyper competitive spirit on my heartbreak university with their sports lol. 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Well, people ARE losing their minds over it, but it's what they're doing.

So, less people go and are replaced by more people "passing through the activity" instead of enjoying a life of entertainment from the activity.  Seems risky. There should be a way to retain the legacy fans and participants and attract the new...

All of this seems rather speculative, rioting over keytars and accordions is not something i imagine is occurring within the public at large. Considering that both instruments have been around in music-making for more than a few years, it’s not also just a “fleeting fickle trend” but experimentation. A world champion drum corps has used string instruments and that is low on the list of things those that object to them winning would point to as to why they argue they shouldn’t have won, if it is #1 on the list, that is REALLY WEIRD!!! I’m just not a fan of “what if” “if then” fearmongering. I just hate when it is used in any circumstance. While I respect the example you brought up in another of your posts, it is only one example. If BD were to arrange a tune to put on the field involving woodwinds I bet you they would tear the house down with it. 100%

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 1

I don't think any of my opinions are controversial; the only opinion I have that may be labelled as such is this:

DCI is not (strictly speaking) a sport. 

Any competition with artistic merits which are judged subjectively is not sport IMO. Figure skating is totally athletic, immensely difficult, requires tons of skill etc but what makes a great routine is subjective. Likewise, a "fan favorite" may not always be the winner, and in some cases will be far from it. 

Compare this to other sports; in baseball it doesn't matter how nice your swing is if it doesn't produce hits. In basketball it doesn't matter how fluid your shot is if it doesn't go through the hoop. In football it doesn't matter if you don't cross the plain, hockey the puck in net, golf the ball in the hole, etc. To invoke Bartók, our marching members are not horses...

5 hours ago, skevinp said:

I don’t know, I think most of us like what we first got used to, whenever that was, and stuff from earlier often seems lacking from that perspective.

How many among us listen to drum corps from the thirties?  🙂

How many recordings are there of drum corps from the 30’s? I know I listen to drum corps from the 60’s up until about 2014. I have like all of it but I’m sorry, lately I just can’t find any shows I particularly like. I’ve accepted all the changes but electric guitars, synthesizers, violins and a keytar to me is not drum corp. To me drum corp is percussion and brass instruments. It’s not supposed to be band.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, valjean said:

I don't think any of my opinions are controversial; the only opinion I have that may be labelled as such is this:

DCI is not (strictly speaking) a sport. 

Any competition with artistic merits which are judged subjectively is not sport IMO. Figure skating is totally athletic, immensely difficult, requires tons of skill etc but what makes a great routine is subjective. Likewise, a "fan favorite" may not always be the winner, and in some cases will be far from it. 

Compare this to other sports; in baseball it doesn't matter how nice your swing is if it doesn't produce hits. In basketball it doesn't matter how fluid your shot is if it doesn't go through the hoop. In football it doesn't matter if you don't cross the plain, hockey the puck in net, golf the ball in the hole, etc. To invoke Bartók, our marching members are not horses...

Could I also say…it doesn’t matter how perfect your spin is if you fall on the ice? If every one of your transitions on uneven bars is perfect but the last one you fall on the turf. The same argument could be applied in reverse in a way, why doesn’t the prettiest shooting stroke in basketball get more points? Why doesn’t every pinpoint accurate 60-yard touchdown pass get more than 6 points? They’re given a circumstantial set value, and even the subjective metrics in many artistic sports are given values as well, usually as either credit awarded in score or penalizations. These gray area of activities that require not just athletic skill, but also necessary technique and execution. I’d say they’re only dissimilar in the way the value for techniques were created in their, what I am calling now, sports. I believe they are, including marching arts👀

19 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Could I also say…it doesn’t matter how perfect your spin is if you fall on the ice? If every one of your transitions on uneven bars is perfect but the last one you fall on the turf. The same argument could be applied in reverse in a way, why doesn’t the prettiest shooting stroke in basketball get more points? Why doesn’t every pinpoint accurate 60-yard touchdown pass get more than 6 points? They’re given a circumstantial set value, and even the subjective metrics in many artistic sports are given values as well, usually as either credit awarded in score or penalizations. These gray area of activities that require not just athletic skill, but also necessary technique and execution. I’d say they’re only dissimilar in the way the value for techniques were created in their, what I am calling now, sports. I believe they are, including marching arts👀

You're missing the point. In basketball there is an objective binary: ball goes through hoop or it doesn't. You can have an ugly shot but if it works it works. You can make a basket on accident (happens often: think of backboard shots), your  intent doesn't  matter  as long as the ball goes in. When it comes to traditional sports, technique literally  doesn't  matter if it isn't seen on a scoreboard. DCI is about music. Scoreboard is, in my  opinion, secondary. 

Edited by valjean
syntax