What are your controversial marching arts opinions?

3 minutes ago, lowend said:

Talk about gatekeeping.

If the human anatomy is a reason not to march that isn't gatekeeping. I guarantee they have no problem if it was the other gender therefore that's a them issue. And if they don't want anything get a dance belt. Because even back in the day we made uniforms so tight you could still see everything. You know how many times I heard people talk about Glassmens drum major butts?

54 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I don’t think not preferring shows from an earlier era means disrespect for its contributions.  

I think Jim Ott actually died in 1980.  I loved Spirit’s style in his era.  That Let it be Me ending was incredible, but unfortunately it does not seem to be well captured by the recording quality of the time period.  Which may be another thing that makes older shows harder to appreciate.  

I think they told the corps members about his untimely death the morning after arriving at their housing site in Memphis.  I was at finals at Legion Field in B'ham for that finals performance.  They spelled out his name in the folding seat chairs on the visitor side.  Incredible warm up & their closer, "Let It Be Me", were both emotional.  Incredible experience...  
No photo description available.
Edited by keystone3ply
cx

3 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

gonna rapid fire this one 
- modern dci (2000s+) > classic dci (70s-90s) 
- played synth in marching band, so obviously i love synth and people need to stop hating on its inclusion. i worked just as hard as the rest of pit, and had just as big of an impact on the show 
- i 💜 artsy show themes 
- i'm a big fangirl of shows with big/impressive props 
- "gimmick shows" (spartacus, downside up, tilt) are my jam 
- blue devils 2011 is my favorite bd show 
- house is not a home is a beautiful song and should be a national anthem or something 
- i don't care if woodwinds get into dci or not because sax parts in high school band SLAP  
- i really liked jagged line 
- i love voices/narration (like bluecoats and blue devils have this year)

Woodwinds might be good in your 25 person high school band that just barely eeks out Pure Imagination, but a drum corps blasting Mahler 2, they have no place. Get lost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Brass of the South said:

Woodwinds might be good in your 25 person high school band that just barely eeks out Pure Imagination, but a drum corps blasting Mahler 2, they have no place. Get lost.

Is that drum corps gonna be blasting Mahler 2 the whole time? Definitely not these days…woodwinds would be good for DCI, my hot take of the day. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Is that drum corps gonna be blasting Mahler 2 the whole time? Definitely not these days…woodwinds would be good for DCI, my hot take of the day. 

I am so glad that your opinion will never influence DCI rules and policies.

2 minutes ago, Brass of the South said:

I am so glad that your opinion will never influence DCI rules and policies.

We can at least disagree while being civil, no? Corps i can easily see using woodwinds to fantastic effect are BD, Crown, Crusaders, Phantom for the music that they typically like to perform. It’s just so vitriolic

1 minute ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

We can at least disagree while being civil, no? Corps i can easily see using woodwinds to fantastic effect are BD, Crown, Crusaders, Phantom for the music that they typically like to perform. It’s just so vitriolic

The day Crown sacrifices brass for woodwinds is the day I leave this activity. Your ideas are so bad it’s actually more uncivil than what I’m saying.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, squarepush said:

Just like what you like, DCP will make you feel you have to explain yourself all the time. You don’t. That being said, I disagree with a lot if not most of your hot takes! Lol 😂 I will cry the day I see a saxophone debut in a show. 

If they have the same amount of talent as those performing on the field, there would be no reason to cry of despair…

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with woodwinds or any other kind of instrument as solo instruments, but I worry that including them in sections would dilute the instrumentation and limit brass time and quality. 

But then I love brass.  It's the milkshake that brings my boys to the yard.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brass of the South said:

The day Crown sacrifices brass for woodwinds is the day I leave this activity. Your ideas are so bad it’s actually more uncivil than what I’m saying.

My ideas for implementation of woodwinds haven’t even been brought to the table, but I feel you are imagining me saying have half of the winds on the field be woodwinds, there’s no need to have a discussion if that’s amount of thought you’d like to bring to the topic. Just my best guess anyways