What are your controversial marching arts opinions?

10 minutes ago, squarepush said:

I love that you mention this. I have no idea, but I don’t think so. You’re just seeing the bowler hat and the white attire. A clockwork orange is a strange book and even stranger movie. If they were wearing jock cups over the white, then maybe I’d say they were definitely trying to be some “droogs” 👁

Can’t be Clockwork Orange without The Glorious Ninth of Ludwig van

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Actually, I find real-world history fascinating. I very much respect those who come before and look to them for guidance (within reason and moral judgement)

Apply that interest to early DCI (pre 2000) You will find art in those shows too if you’re willing to be open to the experience.

• Like 2

Just now, jjeffeory said:

Cappybara has been one of the more outspoken posters on here in support of new ideas and design philosophies for quite a few years, so I find it humorous to read some "new blood" is calling him out!

Cappybara used to be you!

Just saying how things come full circle.

I’m not “new blood”. I’ve been here since 2015 I used to be “johnpendell”, my actual name. You and I have even interacted a few times.  I don’t use the email for that account anymore and lost my password. 
nonetheless I’m very aware of cappybara and his ways. I actually appreciate his takes when they’re nuanced because they usually are. He was just rude so I called it. That’s all. 

• Like 1

I'm a 90s Scout who loves the oldest of the old school and the most avant garde of the new school. I think everyone should enjoy the activity as they see fit and I can't imagine anything more controversial than that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Can’t be Clockwork Orange without The Glorious Ninth of Ludwig van

ABSOLUTELY. And I need to be in PAIN 😂

1 hour ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

We can at least disagree while being civil, no? Corps i can easily see using woodwinds to fantastic effect are BD, Crown, Crusaders, Phantom for the music that they typically like to perform. It’s just so vitriolic

Honestly, I've heard BD play a tune, then RCC play the same tune with the same arranger arranging, but with Saxes...  Hated the version with saxes, loved the all brass version.

I like marching band in the fall though, but in the summer I am all about brass and percussion as much as possible.

Woodwinds get so many other opportunities to perform, I don't think they miss it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think they were channeling Fosse. 

That might be exactly what they were doing I don’t remember the show notes… but absolutely yes they were! Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Is that drum corps gonna be blasting Mahler 2 the whole time? Definitely not these days…woodwinds would be good for DCI, my hot take of the day. 

Nope. That’s the day BOA eats Drum & Bugle corps.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 3PoC said:

Is it not silly though that we have an accordion this year (air blown reeds) and no one is losing their minds over it? Violin, guitars, keytars, synths that can play woodwind patches, are all fine now (I know many still wish for none of these), but "woodwinds" is a forbidden word. Let's be real - allow them in the pit or as part of the amplified soloist/small ensemble players. There is no benefit to having them on the field unamplified anyway as they can't project like brass and would reduce the big volume impacts that everyone wants. I marched 81-83 so I'm not some newbie who never experienced the beauty and power of G bugles and no amplification. 

Well, people ARE losing their minds over it, but it's what they're doing.

So, less people go and are replaced by more people "passing through the activity" instead of enjoying a life of entertainment from the activity.  Seems risky. There should be a way to retain the legacy fans and participants and attract the new...

8 minutes ago, squarepush said:

I’m not “new blood”. I’ve been here since 2015 I used to be “johnpendell”, my actual name. You and I have even interacted a few times.  I don’t use the email for that account anymore and lost my password. 
nonetheless I’m very aware of cappybara and his ways. I actually appreciate his takes when they’re nuanced because they usually are. He was just rude so I called it. That’s all. 

Hey! Glad to see you're doing well!

Fair enough! I was also thinking about the original poster too, but I didn't know you were who you are.

Carry on!