The annual lament

24 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I realllllly wouldn’t rely on DCP comments to tell you what’s connecting with fans when there’s so much evidence to the contrary that you can find for yourself, even for the shows which — based on DCP — you’d think no one enjoys or cares about. Have you watched any of the many videos taken from in the stands? People are having a great time. 

According to DCP, “no one” has connected with Drum Corps for decades, despite the fact that corps are bigger in size, more financially healthy, with bigger fanbases worldwide than they’ve ever had before in large part thanks to social media and ways of participating in this activity that aren’t limited to going to live shows.

I’m not dismissing the people who feel or lament that DCI has changed. Obviously it has changed. I’m dismissing the people who think their negative feelings about that fact speak for everyone else’s feelings, and who project their feelings onto everyone else to feel like their sour grapes are justified. You simply don’t have to do that. You don’t have to pretend, as many do, that current MMs aren’t proud to be there and aren’t feeling challenged and inspired by the shows that they’re performing, just because you don’t like those shows as much as you used to. That just shows a total disregard for the kids out there on the field, and it’s also just demonstrably false. 

Very well said. Anyone using DCP as their sample size to provide a reflection on the state of DCI is seriously deluding themselves. The current direction works just fine for the younger generation. Apparently record inflation, a pandemic, and 2 full competitive seasons off couldn’t possibly have anything to do with the lower audience turnout DCI is experiencing this season.

And those lamenting the crowd reactions of the past, perhaps the younger generation is just a bit more courteous to the performers than those in the past. Showing polite appreciation for the performance rather than rudely trying to become a part of it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

And those lamenting the crowd reactions of the past, perhaps the younger generation is just a bit more courteous to the performers than those in the past. Showing polite appreciation for the performance rather than rudely trying to become a part of it 

Just look at WGI for young generation response.

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Very well said. Anyone using DCP as their sample size to provide a reflection on the state of DCI is seriously deluding themselves. The current direction works just fine for the younger generation. Apparently record inflation, a pandemic, and 2 full competitive seasons off couldn’t possibly have anything to do with the lower audience turnout DCI is experiencing this season.

Oh, you got it wrong there. I cheer all corps for their efforts. I marched, I know the blood sweat and tears that are involved in a competitive season. So for you to say I am rude isn’t very polite on your part.

Edited by Sutasaurus

Just now, Continental said:

Just look at WGI for young generation response.

I’m well aware of the custom of loudly screaming at every rifle and flag toss in WGI. The two mediums are very different. In DCI, the focus is mainly on the brass drumline, and pit to create music and a mood. Unless a guard feature is occurring, the color guard is there to support and enhance. Loudly cheering “GO SARAH!” In the middle of a ballad is, well, pretty rude. On the other hand, cheering on a difficult flag toss in WGI is much more appropriate as the mood of the performance is not being disrupted 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Oh, you got it wrong there. I cheer all corps for their efforts. I marched, I know the blood sweat and tears that are involved in a competitive season. So for you to say I am rude isn’t very polite on your part.

If you do not fall in the description, there’s no need to be offended 

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I’m well aware of the custom of loudly screaming at every rifle and flag toss in WGI. The two mediums are very different. In DCI, the focus is mainly on the brass drumline, and pit to create music and a mood. Unless a guard feature is occurring, the color guard is there to support and enhance. Loudly cheering “GO SARAH!” In the middle of a ballad is, well, pretty rude. On the other hand, cheering on a difficult flag toss in WGI is much more appropriate as the mood of the performance is not being disrupted 

WGI = expanding.

DCI = shrinking

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

If you do not fall in the description, there’s no need to be offended 

Given the context of this discussion I have a pretty clear idea of who that remark was intended for.

But all is good.

21 hours ago, Cappybara said:

https://youtu.be/i8Jc1hHjWk8

the answer to your first two questions 

I lost my drink when he said GH can beat up Chuck Norris. 

16 minutes ago, Continental said:

WGI = expanding.

DCI = shrinking

Quite a bit easier to expand when you’re small than when you’re already big 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I lost my drink when he said GH can beat up Chuck Norris. 

That video is a classic 

• Like 1