THE STANDSTILLS HAVE ALREADY BEGUN

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You got twenty inches of rain or something like that, right?  We got 11 1/2 inches with Elsa last July and I never heard rain like that in my life. 

I honestly don't remember off the top of my head. It might be more.... I remember I was living in my apartment with my two best friends and their parents lived in the same complex. We lived towards the back of the complex on the third floor and their parents lived at the front and they were on the first floor. The street was already flooded in the AM so we couldn't go to work. My best friends and I went to see how their parents were doing and I remember looking out their window and... yeah, I remember seeing that water rise. I went outside to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks.... they weren't. I went back inside and told them that they need to prepare to get out. Well, yep..... 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

The main reason for this is of course how band crazy Texas metros are with the tens of high schools in each that compete in the various marching circuits we all know. and the directors always promoting the activity to them. DFW, Austin-San Antonio, and Houston, full of ‘em

44 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

none of this is being eliminated - Texas tour is VERY profitable in terms of gate, merch sales as well as member recruitment.

37 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Well, whats happening is the La nina stream. Truthfully, it really wasn't this bad the last two years. What concerns me mostly are the possibilities of hurricanes rolling through me. I have lived through my fair share of tropical weather, but the Gulf of Mexico is steaming hot right now... just not good for us Texans. 

Thanks for the sanity in the above quotes.  The over-reactions of a few people are comical.  The press beats global warming & climate change like a drum and some not only march to it but panic by it.  Don't get me wrong, I believe the climate is changing, and that we humans have contributed to it, but come on, this summer is an anomaly.  The last 2 were pretty darned mild by Texas standards.  I've sat through some blistering summers living here off & on all the way back to the late 80s and 90s.  We barely cracked 100 at all last summer - A particularly strong La Niña is partly to blame this year.

Perhaps some have an agenda to bring more shows North again, and to upper state northerners, of course what's considered hot is on a different scale.  Guess what?  Over a 1/3 of marchers come from TEXAS.  The crowds here are huge.    A ton of the designers and instructors work here with HS Bands.  The money for the marching arts is insane here.  Stopping the Texas Tour would be devastating to DCI and simply isn't going to happen.  Should we stop having shows in Cali because it might slide into the ocean from the big one?  Or stop having shows in the decaying rust belt because someone might get a cut and get Tetanus?  I'll even take TODAY in Texas vs the Jackson or Orlando years with insufferable humidity.  It's all relative to where you live.  A TON of the kids are from here.  They're outdoors in August band camps all day for their high schools (albeit not with the same physical demands in most cases).

As I said in another thread, the corps are full of smart people who focus on taking care of the kids far more than in decades past.  They'll be fine.  Don't you think these lighter costumes probably compensate for about 15 degrees of temperature anyway?  Good lord, I remember marching in an afternoon prelim in Birmingham (we called it burning hell) Alabama in 1990 in heavy WOOL Uniforms (black tops, no less) in 100 degree weather and 70+% humidity.  We had all kinds of kids teetering in the tunnel leaving the fields.  We would have killed to march in the light weight gear used today.

Just my 2 cents, but as annoying Aaron Rodgers would say... RELAX.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I am not a Houstonian, but I am a nerd for weather events like these and I know Houston has had incredibly bad luck with both Allison 20 years ago and Harvey just 5 years ago 😢 just terrible flooding

Same in a way. But man, I didn't realize that it's been 20 years Allison. Ike was just as scary too.... flying objects... nope! 

• Like 1

Well, as a Harvey, I could have warned everyone not to name a storm after me.  Bad Luck.  And that's the day I moved back to Texas.  Literally the day Harvey hit.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

It usually is quiet during June-July for sure, August through October are more them months to look out for, and we definitely have to thank good ol’ climate change for there being continued threatening storms into November too😔

Not to be "that guy," but AcKshUallY hurricane season in the Atlantic basin has always run through November 30.

Anyway...let's hope there's no tropical cyclone impacted DCI shows this season (or any season, for that matter).

7 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

Not to be "that guy," but AcKshUallY hurricane season in the Atlantic basin has always run through November 30.

Anyway...let's hope there's no tropical cyclone impacted DCI shows this season (or any season, for that matter).

Haha yes I do recall that, but it used to be the case that storms didn’t manifest themselves as either dangerous tropical storms/hurricanes threatening to make landfall but mainly tropical storms and depressions that dissipated in the middle of the Atlantic by November haha 

There is actually a faint possibility of a storm potentially affecting an east coast show or gulf show in the future even in early august so that does worry me a bit👀

Edited by Vidal28Rdg

2 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Haha yes I do recall that, but it used to be the case that storms didn’t manifest themselves as either dangerous tropical storms/hurricanes threatening to make landfall but mainly tropical storms and depressions that dissipated in the middle of the Atlantic by November haha 

There is actually a faint possibility of a storm potentially affecting an east coast show or gulf show in the future even in early august so that does worry me a bit👀

Everything is starting to shift. Tornado Alley has started to shift. Kentucky and the Ohio Valley have seen more Tornados recently than any other time in history. 

10 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

Thanks for the sanity in the above quotes.  The over-reactions of a few people are comical.  The press beats global warming & climate change like a drum and some not only march to it but panic by it.  Don't get me wrong, I believe the climate is changing, and that we humans have contributed to it, but come on, this summer is an anomaly.  The last 2 were pretty darned mild by Texas standards.  I've sat through some blistering summers living here off & on all the way back to the late 80s and 90s.  We barely cracked 100 at all last summer - A particularly strong La Niña is partly to blame this year.

Perhaps some have an agenda to bring more shows North again, and to upper state northerners, of course what's considered hot is on a different scale.  Guess what?  Over a 1/3 of marchers come from TEXAS.  The crowds here are huge.    A ton of the designers and instructors work here with HS Bands.  The money for the marching arts is insane here.  Stopping the Texas Tour would be devastating to DCI and simply isn't going to happen.  Should we stop having shows in Cali because it might slide into the ocean from the big one?  Or stop having shows in the decaying rust belt because someone might get a cut and get Tetanus?  I'll even take TODAY in Texas vs the Jackson or Orlando years with insufferable humidity.  It's all relative to where you live.  A TON of the kids are from here.  They're outdoors in August band camps all day for their high schools (albeit not with the same physical demands in most cases).

As I said in another thread, the corps are full of smart people who focus on taking care of the kids far more than in decades past.  They'll be fine.  Don't you think these lighter costumes probably compensate for about 15 degrees of temperature anyway?  Good lord, I remember marching in an afternoon prelim in Birmingham (we called it burning hell) Alabama in 1990 in heavy WOOL Uniforms (black tops, no less) in 100 degree weather and 70+% humidity.  We had all kinds of kids teetering in the tunnel leaving the fields.  We would have killed to march in the light weight gear used today.

Just my 2 cents, but as annoying Aaron Rodgers would say... RELAX.

People do need to balance out their concerns with a smidge of “RELAX” as well. Consultation and prior preparations go a long way in ensuring the safest product possible, even in less than ideal conditions. Weather situations like these are also a year-to-year constant change, and it’s very likely that the Texas shows aren’t the most inhospitable of the tour for this year even, the Oklahoma shows and some western shows have been their own beast to handle, as are less hot but much more humid shows.