A bunch of corps will not be in Atlanta. Why?

4 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I started this morning @7am working outside in the South & just came in 30 minutes ago.  I'm completely soaked & wiped out...

You take it easy. Believe me I don't judge people where they live. I just grew up in SF..moved to Concord when I was a teen...hence my BD involvement and now live in the Berkeley area. It's all relative. It does seem weird but when it gets hot...hot being in the SF Bay Area over 80...we complain. We are so called "#######". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DFA1970 said:

You take it easy. Believe me I don't judge people where they live. I just grew up in SF..moved to Concord when I was a teen...hence my BD involvement and now live in the Berkeley area. It's all relative. It does seem weird but when it gets hot...hot being in the SF Bay Area over 80...we complain. We are so called "#######". 

I'll be mowing our practice field this afternoon in the most intense part of the day. Told my wife we were moving to Canada.  I love the South, but not in the middle of summer. (Maybe I can talk her into a pool.)

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

That's great but only a couple of hotels & three restaurants, one of which is a hot dog stand?  No thanks; I want to stay @Centennial Park in the Hilton Portfolio & walk to the 'indoor' venue for the SE Championships.       

I definitely hear you. Centennial is about go through a huge economic boom as well.  They are pushing to get it halfway done  for the World Cup.  It's going to be more dense, more restaurants, hotels, homes, etc. I just hope that DCI is going to be able to get in. Bc it's going to be hottt and alot more entertainment is going to want the Mercedes Benz Stadium.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rchitectburd23BD01 said:

I definitely hear you. Centennial is about go through a huge economic boom as well.  They are pushing to get it halfway done  for the World Cup.  It's going to be more dense, more restaurants, hotels, homes, etc. I just hope that DCI is going to be able to get in. Bc it's going to be hottt and alot more entertainment is going to want the Mercedes Benz Stadium.  

Cool; I love that area & usually stay an extra night or two.  Got some of our staff on that tall ferris wheel one year; found out the hard way that one had an extreme fear of heights.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

Really dissapointing that DCI could not reserve Mercedes Benz this year. I live near Atlanta, but went instead to San Antonio. Wanted to see all the corps one time before Indy.  Hopefully, DCI has reserved Mercedes Benz for next year-great stadium. Not going to Atlanta--91 degrees forecast, and a 50% chance of thunderstorms. Ughh.

I think its going to be harder in the future to reserve and the price is going to go up.  Atlanta wants money and with Centennial Yards being developed its going to be extra Hottt.. They should just look into Bobby Dodd or GA State, unfortunately. jmo, but you never know could get lucky. 

1 minute ago, keystone3ply said:

Cool; I love that area & usually stay an extra night or two.  Got some of our staff on that tall ferris wheel one year; found out the hard way that one had an extreme fear of heights.   

Nice. They just opened a Margaritaville Hotel next door.  Anyway,  I do hope that they can reserve it , would be awesome area for visitors to enjoy after a DCI show. They are comparing the new development to L.A. live with just alittle bit more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasPRfan said:

I wonder if the same financial concerns were behind DATR not being at the Broncos' stadium?  The show certainly felt less big-time at CSU in Ft. Collins...

Schedule conflict perhaps?  A global dance fest was scheduled for July 15 & 16. (https://globaldancefestival.com/)

I liked the venue at CSU.  It felt more intimate as the gap between audience and the corps was tighter.  I thought there was better sound than Empower Stadium. 

They announced it will be held at CSU again in 2023.

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Sounds like they took a facility and made it into a nice midsize football stadium. The capacity is like a bit less than 25,000. Can't wait to see what it looks like this weekend. I'm glad they didn't just tear it down to make some mall or something un-interesting. 

Since it's a converted baseball stadium, I'd suspect that concert side isn't exactly parallel to how the field lies.  

Makes for some interesting sight lines.

3 hours ago, On the 50 said:

I believe it is simply a scheduling conflict with the Mercedes-Benz stadium. A similar situation occurred in 2017 when the venue was not ready in time to host DCI and the event was moved to McEchern High School in the suburbs. It could have been financial as rental for that facility must be astronomical, and DCI is coming off two years of historically low revenue. However, the Atlanta show has for years been the second-best attended show of the entire tour - second only to Finals. It's importance on the tour cannot be overstated as the majority of attendees are high school band kids, many of whom may one day audition for a corps. It's a recruiting tool, not to mention a bonanza for souvie sales. It's a justified investment, and I'd be shocked if it weren't back at Mercedes-Benz next year.

Shawn

The tickets for the Luke Combs concert went on sale last November and my understanding was that it sold out quickly.

The CMA "entertainer of the year" is definitely a bigger draw in Atlanta than DCI could ever hope to be.

With these two concurrent events in close proximity, parking and traffic will be a nightmare.   

My stereotype of the average country music fan attending this concert has them traveling in some big ### "carnival truck" needing parking, not coming via MARTA.

Edited by ykw

4 hours ago, On the 50 said:

I believe it is simply a scheduling conflict with the Mercedes-Benz stadium. A similar situation occurred in 2017 when the venue was not ready in time to host DCI and the event was moved to McEchern High School in the suburbs. It could have been financial as rental for that facility must be astronomical, and DCI is coming off two years of historically low revenue. However, the Atlanta show has for years been the second-best attended show of the entire tour - second only to Finals. It's importance on the tour cannot be overstated as the majority of attendees are high school band kids, many of whom may one day audition for a corps. It's a recruiting tool, not to mention a bonanza for souvie sales. It's a justified investment, and I'd be shocked if it weren't back at Mercedes-Benz next year.

Shawn

I assumed it was because after two years of no DCI, and not knowing whether or not DCI would be back in 2022, TPTB over Mercedes-Benz simply booked something else on that date. But I could be wrong. I'm still going to the Atlanta show, but I sure do hope it's back at MB next year.