Cultural Appropriation in Drum Corps

1 minute ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I do find that weird too, being offended by telling corps to try a little harder is so weird to me. They absolutely can, they are not one individual but a whole design team with resources

Or even weirder being offended by something non-malicious or out of your ethnicity....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Mello Dude said:

Or even weirder being offended by something non-malicious or out of your ethnicity....

I am so unfamiliar with the culture that I didn’t have a reason to be offended by Colts’ uniform, and I’m still really not. Like I’ve told you before I really don’t want to limit what corps are able to explore, from overall design, costuming, dance and music. You know what points I’m trying to make here

5 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Sweet mother of Sephiroth, I just saw the Cadets 2014 ending...🤢 It's a good thing I love a massive majority of modern DCI shows to make up for the rare ones like this. Great palate cleansers.

Hey at least it’s probably one of the more forgettable 3rd place productions in recent memory😂😂

• Haha 1

Just now, Vidal28Rdg said:

I am so unfamiliar with the culture that I didn’t have a reason to be offended by Colts’ uniform, and I’m still really not. Like I’ve told you before I really don’t want to limit what corps are able to explore, from overall design, costuming, dance and music. You know what points I’m trying to make here

I get it.  It doesn't hurt doing research...like ever.  Just, if you think that will negate people from "faux" insult for whatever reason, you will drive yourself insane trying to please everybody.  It's art man....it is what it is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

If you and others are going to continue to claim this while also ignoring the fact that

I marched the signature role in an all time fan-favorite show that took elements from a flipping Disney movie and other cultures outside of Scheherazade's culture-of-origin, and am telling you that MMs from the MENA community didn't appreciate it

then you aren't arguing in good faith.

I'll remind you that SCV gave me their expressed blessing to talk about this and other issues I had with them when I marched publicly.

2 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Hey at least it’s probably one of the more forgettable 3rd place productions in recent memory😂😂

That was 3rd place? 😵 This is the year with Tilt and Felliniesque, and THAT's our runner-up to those?!

• Haha 1

If I were to remain self-critical, I would say that the original topic here was Colts and the Asian diaspora.

I'm not trying to detract from that and await @Cappybara to return to the thread patiently so they can command the dialogue.

Until then, I'll keep supplying evidence in support of their argument based in my own experience and expertise.

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

If I were to remain self-critical, I would say that the original topic here was Colts and the Asian diaspora.

I'm not trying to detract from that and await @Cappybara to return to the thread patiently so they can command the dialogue.

Until then, I'll keep supplying evidence in support of their argument based in my own experience and expertise.

I just eyerolled so hard, I now have a headache and I think one of my eyes are stuck. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1