Wednesday, July 27th ... “DCI Southern Mississippi” … M M Roberts Stadium Hattiesburg, MISSISSIPPI

42 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I think we’re so used to BD’s style that it becomes easy to overlook what’s innovative about it because, in the BD context, it’s consistent.

Very true, and they do innovate, especially when it comes to variety of effects. The shows you listed were departures from the usual (had to go back and do some listening). The technical brilliance is off the charts. The emotional connection I feel is still often many shades of “wow, I can’t believe they just nailed that” instead of the content getting me to think or feel something new or unexpected. Obviously, what they’re doing is what the sheets want, and bravo to BD. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

giphy.gif

But honestly I'm just enjoying the season.  Could BAC do it? Possibly.  It won't be easy. 

If they do, I'd be looking forward to what BD brings next year to go undefeated and turn the activity on it's head!

Even though it’s recent historical precedent, I’m not one to say “GASP, BD lost??? They’re winning next year, UNDOUBTEDLY” I also think that this sentiment gets disrespectful to other corps. I’m never a fan of people proclaiming a champion in preseason/early season, and to say this a whole year out irks me even more. This would apply to me even if it were one of my favorite corps as well.

It will be tough for BAC to close the gap tomorrow night when you insert Crown and Bluecoats.  They placed higher than BAC in several captions in San Antonio.  

4 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Even though it’s recent historical precedent, I’m not one to say “GASP, BD lost??? They’re winning next year, UNDOUBTEDLY” I also think that this sentiment gets disrespectful to other corps. I’m never a fan of people proclaiming a champion in preseason/early season, and to say this a whole year out irks me even more. This would apply to me even if it were one of my favorite corps as well.

I agree with what you are saying. But I think the point is until proven otherwise on a "Consistent" basis, BD has earned the right to go into 2023 as the odds on favorites, especially if they were to take home silver this season.

Last time BD lost back to back seasons, Da Vinci Code was the box office smash in 2006 lol. 

10 minutes ago, DAYGO said:

It will be tough for BAC to close the gap tomorrow night when you insert Crown and Bluecoats.  They placed higher than BAC in several captions in San Antonio.  

It’s a strong top 5, and caption placements will feel downward pressure from factoring in more competitors. BD has been 1/2 in most every subcaption. Boston has their work cut out to match that. SCV is feeling like a darkhorse to possibly shake things up. Crown and Bloo are also completely in this race, and we have yet to fully realize what their productions will accomplish. Great season…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

BD has built an incredible legacy, and perfected a winning formula. Their style of presenting content and the emotions their performances elicit have won an enduring fanbase, deservedly.
Speaking for myself, while I can appreciate the many great things they put on the field, it’s rare that I feel  more than a narrow and superficial mental/emotional connection to their shows. It’s dazzle, dazzle, dazzle (which is swell), and not much else. When another corps has a contending show, it’s often a fresh set of emotions: Angels & Demons (fury, passion, battle), E=mc2 (genius, wonder, imagination), Downside Up (psychedelic euphoric beauty), Babylon (exotic, mysterious, and plain wow). Paradise Lost (carefree tranquility, curiousity/temptation, exile/loss, hope). BDs rivals often bring a welcome scope and depth of emotions. I’d love to see BD move outside of their comfort zone and bring their legendary execution to a show that is artistically more risky and explores some of the less comfortable emotions. 

For me personally, the content of their shows doesn’t evoke emotion, their horn line and visuals do. Their horn line plays with a timbre and balance unlike any other corps, you can immediately tell who’s playing just by hearing them. They’ve got a sizzle that I think only SCV gets close to on a consistent basis. And the way they move is so smooth and uniform, when combined with the music it certainly produces chills for me 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, craiga said:

For the record,  I give us a 1 in 3 chance of getting past the Blue Devils at the end.  They have been a tremendous drum corps for decades.

But, if our friends from Concord do prevail, you'll hear no complaints from me.   No second guessing the judges, no disparagement of their show design or musical choices, and certainly no comments like they were slotted or benefitted from competitive inertia.

If BD wins, I know two things:

1. They were judged to be the best the night of finals.

2. Boston will return in 2023 for year 83.

As a long time BAC supporter, if BD should prevail, I am going to respond the same way as my friend craiga.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I agree with what you are saying. But I think the point is until proven otherwise on a "Consistent" basis, BD has earned the right to go into 2023 as the odds on favorites, especially if they were to take home silver this season.

Last time BD lost back to back seasons, Da Vinci Code was the box office smash in 2006 lol. 

I know it’s not even a “sour grapes” thing or stuff of that nature, but it’s all as a result of how BD responds the year after losing quite emphatically, they earn their wins and they are favorites any given year until they are consistently being beaten in said year, I just won’t say that they’re due for one the year after a loss, that’s just a bridge too far for me

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

For me personally, the content of their shows doesn’t evoke emotion, their horn line and visuals do. Their horn line plays with a timbre and balance unlike any other corps, you can immediately tell who’s playing just by hearing them. They’ve got a sizzle that I think only SCV gets close to on a consistent basis. And the way they move is so smooth and uniform, when combined with the music it certainly produces chills for me 

Phantom is quickly approaching those same levels of “sizzle” in their sound and I’m very much looking forward to their continued improvement. When Crown wants to they can also really BRING IT!! Do I think that was the case when I went to see them this year, unfortunately no haha especially with Vanguard performing after them, even with the field being so far from the stands I had to recoil frequently🔊🔊

im pretty sure you were the one saying you’re gonna go see all these amazing corps in Atlanta soon, and rest assured that every corps I mentioned will have that *sizzle* in their sound👀👀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

When they did that (1930, Through a Glass Darkly, Cabaret Voltaire, Re:Rite of Spring) people whined about it! (And then everyone else started copying their ideas.) I love those shows. But it’s a very “be careful what you wish for” situation, IMO.

I think we’re so used to BD’s style that it becomes easy to overlook what’s innovative about it because, in the BD context, it’s consistent. Watching all the shows in a row at a big regional, though, reminds me of how BD’s show looks and feels different from everyone else’s from its opening set. 

I am also skeptical. I reconnected with DCI in 2013 and through videos of past years was able to review previous season in some depth to catch up. After going to DCI West 2013 and following discussions on DCP, I was still shocked to witness fans’ disdain at Lucas Oil at Finals for an amazing BD show. Golf claps would be a generous description. Sure, it had segments that I felt weren’t entirely successful, but it was a bold artistic reach grounded in beautiful, dark, challenging music and cutting-edge, striking visuals. As an educational experience it had to be fantastic, and I was disappointed to see fans not respecting and supporting the members’ work and performance. Maybe it completed the educational experience to receive as hostile a reception as the original Le Sacre du Printemps did, reputedly.  I recall taking such heart in the commentary of Michael Boo (RIP) that year, as he was a fan of, and saw the genius in, both Crown’s and BD’s very different shows. 

• Like 1