Corps Rehearsal closings!

20 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

Should have been DCI's policy for all corps, since the start of the season. Especially after Phantom's large outbreak after Detroit.  Another fail from Mr. Acheson, who really should retire.  I was at San Antonio, and shocked to see corps kids mingling in the crowd. I hope every corps can make it to Indy healthy, but DCI really dropped the ball on this one. 

Every corps should do what they feel is best.  I'm not sure how it's DCI's fault (or Dan Acheson's fault) that Phantom had an outbreak after Detroit?  

Also, there's a big difference between corps kids mingling in the crowd, and fans sitting in a stadium during rehearsal.  There is ZERO increased chance of a corps kid getting COVID from fans sitting in a stadium, unless there is mingling going on.

I'm concerned about some of these "mitigation efforts".  I applaud any corps for wanting to keep everyone safe.  I just question whether the things that are being implemented are doing more harm than good.  

The first time I ever saw a drum corps live, was at a rehearsal.  It's an experience I will never, ever forget, because it was my FIRST live exposure.  Banning fans from rehearsals (especially if those fans are only sitting in the stands) seems like an elitist and short-sighted reaction to me.

Edited by Tommeee
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Every corps should do what they feel is best.  I'm not sure how it's DCI's fault (or Dan Acheson's fault) that Phantom had an outbreak after Detroit?  

Also, there's a big difference between corps kids mingling in the crowd, and fans sitting in a stadium during rehearsal.  There is ZERO increased chance of a corps kid getting COVID from fans sitting in a stadium, unless there is mingling going on.

I'm concerned about some of these "mitigation efforts".  I applaud any corps for wanting to keep everyone safe.  I just question whether the things that are being implemented are doing more harm than good.  

The first time I ever saw a drum corps live, was at a rehearsal.  It's an experience I will never, ever forget, because it was my FIRST live exposure.  Banning fans from rehearsals (especially if those fans are only sitting in the stands) seems like an elitist and short-sighted reaction to me.

Totally understand your stance here, I just think with so many corps being competitive this year, it's really not worth risking the backtrack on progression a covid outbreak will ultimately bring. 

It's a hard thing for a corps to manage as well, they have never had to do this before in regards to managing fan attendance at rehearsals. It's a bit easier to jist close to all than manage I guess? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

That's kinda silly.

We're still in a pandemic. I had a family member pass away this week from covid.

There's no reason to risk these young people's health... especially if only just because fans want it.

It's excellent that you fell in love with drum corps at a rehearsal. I HATE to take opportunity away from people. But these are not normal times.

I understand the thought process.  I respect your opinion.  And your heart is in the right place.

But not allowing fans to sit in a stadium during rehearsal is doing NOTHING to keep the young people healthy.

• Haha 1

Just now, legacy said:

Totally understand your stance here, I just think with so many corps being competitive this year, it's really not worth risking the backtrack on progression a covid outbreak will ultimately bring. 

It's a hard thing for a corps to manage as well, they have never had to do this before in regards to managing fan attendance at rehearsals. It's a bit easier to jist close to all than manage I guess? 

This is easier for me to understand.  i believe Boston mentioned that they just don't have the manpower to police it.  I get that.  

Like I said, every corps has to do what they feel is best.  But the idea of closing rehearsals is still a trend that worries me, long term.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

I understand the thought process.  I respect your opinion.  And your heart is in the right place.

But not allowing fans to sit in a stadium during rehearsal is doing NOTHING to keep the young people healthy.

Corps don't have the capacity to police fans and family and keep them only in certain areas. I don't blame them. Visitors can't and shouldn't be trusted at this point.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

This is easier for me to understand.  i believe Boston mentioned that they just don't have the manpower to police it.  I get that.  

Like I said, every corps has to do what they feel is best.  But the idea of closing rehearsals is still a trend that worries me, long term.

I think @scheherazadesghost said it perfectly... it's still not a normal season as we have known them in the past. Covid is very much still alive and well. 

I find it's like it doesn't exist when I am in the USA for work but with B.A.5 it is very much on the rise up here in Canada. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Block me for saying this if you must, but the amount of entitlement in this thread is disheartening. Regardless of whether or not you personally agree with a corps’ policy, it’s what the corps has decided to do. Questioning (or worse, going against) the policy when you KNOW it’s done with the members’ safety in mind is rather selfish.

Corps are not equipped with staffing dedicated to ensuring that visitors are maintaining an appropriate distance at any given time. The easiest way for them not to have to police this is to just close down rehearsals to the public.

Even pre-COVID this wasn’t unheard of—many corps had closed rehearsals for secrecy (adding new show elements that they wanted to be a huge surprise) or just for member focus/concentration. 

I agree with you.

Sadly this pandemic has really shown who acts right on behalf of others and the truth is it isnt many... 

Hopefully these corps can not get harassed by those who try to act against their expressed wishes. 

They need to get over themselves and go to the stadium... open rehearsals will come back when theu don't pose as much of a problem as they do in this particular pandemic climate. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

39 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Part of the shut down of rehearsals is the amount of people showing up at them and being exposed to staffers in the stands who in turn are with the kids.  The corps are not equipped in crowd management, nor should they be.  The option they have is to close rehearsals.  It is far from an elitist stance as it is a safety stance and not risking what Cavies, Bloo, Academy and other have gone through.  At this point in the season a major outbreak would completely derail a season.  Too risky.  Not elitist.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4