Saturday, July 30th .. 4:55 PM “DCI Southeastern Championship” …Center Parc Credit Union Stadium … Atlanta, GEORGIA

I just love watching shows where it is clear the crowd largely doesn’t subscribe to Flo. The reaction to the cool design moments is so fun. IMO that should be more consistently valued by judges. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

There is no Babylon, Down Side Up, or What Dreams are Made On this year. But from a technical standpoint, this may easily be the best season ever. The top seven are insanely complex.

So interesting to me… I’m the BD homer and you and I disagree on most fronts. It’s hysterical to me that you love As Dreams Were Made On, because I’d put that one down as a bottom 3 for BD in the 2010s.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose!

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

#ChumlyGotItRight!

I'll vouch for him because it gives the two standout GE shows credit where its deserved.

Crown's GE is through the roof. Period. It can be argued that it's too much, but last night proved what that team can accomplish together. I've never argued against this show except to say I hope they can sustain that many spinning plates for the whole season. I'm sold after last night.

SC's GE just came full circle literally and figuratively. The genius of this show is in the timing with which they reveal new additions. It's masterful and I HOPE the MM's understand their role in our legacy as they perform this show. The falling of the Towers of the Four Noble Truths has a depth of meaning for this corps that is currently lost on a majority of the fanbase. I hope I can continue helping to explain this. It also happens to be beautiful, subtle, and completely different from anything else on the field. I'm told the reaction on the ground is not as lackluster as what I'm seeing online. That's a relief. The MMs deserve a positive audience reaction for this.

The other corps have plenty of GE too. And, masterful as they are, they are not has all-encompassing and cohesive as those mentioned above.

What do Crown and SC have in common? Commitment to an idea in every manifestation of their show theme. They do this better than other corps.

I totally agree on SCV. I totally disagree on Crown. Their theme is so open ended that it’s like a grab bag of stuff that thematically makes no actual sense. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

So interesting to me… I’m the BD homer and you and I disagree on most fronts. It’s hysterical to me that you love As Dreams Were Made On, because I’d put that one down as a bottom 3 for BD in the 2010s.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose!

Curious, why? That show still gets me. It’s a perfect design.

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

I just love watching shows where it is clear the crowd largely doesn’t subscribe to Flo. The reaction to the cool design moments is so fun. IMO that should be more consistently valued by judges. 

Meh… I don’t want to watch DCI become saturated with “let’s get a giant tarp that we can put our heads through! That’ll boost our scores!”

Glad there are some who enjoy that, but if you start rewarding that, this activity is going to look a lot different (worse) IMO.

I get wanting to entertain the first time watchers, but you’re not ever going to get deep productions that way. If things are always geared towards the first time fan, get ready for a rehash on everything we’ve already seen. I don’t like this word, but you want “innovation”, right?

• Like 1

I totally agree on SCV. I totally disagree on Crown. Their theme is so open ended that it’s like a grab bag of stuff that thematically makes no actual sense. 

After last night, I'm sold on Crown, like I said.

It's dada, it's absurdist, and it's a perfection way to get people's attention RHRN and involve them directly in the lived moment. The app is just another way of doing this. If I had been able to see this show live, I would have absolutely downloaded the app to participate. Why? Because it's a solid way to let the performers know that I care about their WHOLE show from the stands. Shoutouts are fun, but this app lets people in the nosebleeders participate and that's ####### cool.... for example... 😉 This is another aspect of their show for which there is no mechanism to really give them credit. That hurts their score.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Meh… I don’t want to watch DCI become saturated with “let’s get a giant tarp that we can put our heads through! That’ll boost our scores!”

Glad there are some who enjoy that, but if you start rewarding that, this activity is going to look a lot different (worse) IMO.

I get wanting to entertain the first time watchers, but you’re not ever going to get deep productions that way. If things are always geared towards the first time fan, get ready for a rehash on everything we’ve already seen. I don’t like this word, but you want “innovation”, right?

I’m good with sticking your head through a big tarp if it makes thematic sense. That idea could have worked for Tempest or SOS. In this show it comes off like something a designer came up with after watching some other show and they talked themselves into it working for this show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

After last night, I'm sold on Crown, like I said.

It's dada, it's absurdist, and it's a perfection way to get people's attention RHRN and involve them directly in the lived moment. The app is just another way of doing this. If I had been able to see this show live, I would have absolutely downloaded the app to participate. Why? Because it's a solid way to let the performers know that I care about their WHOLE show from the stands. Shoutouts are fun, but this app lets people in the nosebleeders participate and that's ####### cool.... for example... 😉 This is another aspect of their show for which there is no mechanism to really give them credit. That hurts their score.

I get it, to me it was lazy. A show about everything is a show about nothing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Curious, why? That show still gets me. It’s a perfect design.

Easily one of their worst designs 😂

Lots of cool and memorable moments. The first 90 seconds are to die for. The ballad was great. I even loved the trombones. But the flow and pacing of that show weren’t very good. Lots of visual moments that didn’t feel right. Really disappointed with the ending. One of those years that BD was more enjoyable (to me) in their music book than their visual book. A lot of head scratching moments (the Beiber section felt like a throw away waste of time)

Ok, I want to refresh my memory. I’ll have to watch this one again today. Downside Up was such a blast of a show, but it was stinkin dirty to be placing that high. I just don’t think BD had a strong enough design, nor did Crown.

• Like 2

I’m good with sticking your head through a big tarp if it makes thematic sense. That idea could have worked for Tempest or SOS. In this show it comes off like something a designer came up with after watching some other show and they talked themselves into it working for this show.

Oh yeah, 100% agreed. If it makes sense, I’m all for it. But it really doesn’t work with Crown this year. However, you hear the crowd lose their mind at every show when that moment comes up. I don’t want to see moments like that get rewarded.

• Haha 1