Saturday, July 30th .. 4:55 PM “DCI Southeastern Championship” …Center Parc Credit Union Stadium … Atlanta, GEORGIA

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

If corps are making big changes for the judges this late in the game boooo, they're doing this wrong.

Too many late season changes, in general, can affect morale and aren't worth it. Sometimes it's better for corps to sleep in the bed they made.

Well it depends.  If the changes are planned layering, it can be a big boost in morale to finally show everyone what you learned a month ago!    

But I agree trying to "fix" things late in the game often causes more harm than good.

2 minutes ago, karuna said:

Well it depends.  If the changes are planned layering, it can be a big boost in morale to finally show everyone what you learned a month ago!    

You are preaching to the choir. Quarterfinals in 04 was a blast. But that was a GE push that was planned and didn't really affect our placement at all by the time it was revealed.

2 minutes ago, karuna said:

But I agree trying to "fix" things late in the game often causes more harm than good.

This is always my concern. Not as it applies to the 22 season, 'cause I don't know any corps' inner design choice making. But in general, I'm also not into changing shows for sheets. Not sure how much or if this even happens anymore.

Now, if we're talking about cutting parts of a show to boost GE that's different. Not sure how common that is though.

15 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Now, if we're talking about cutting parts of a show to boost GE that's different. Not sure how common that is though

Always a last resort I would think, but valid. By this time in the season, if the judges hate it enough for it to dumb down your GE scores or if it's just a performance driven part that needs to be watered down, we're about at the last call for doing that I would think. 

As I type this I am realizing that I am half asleep and it may not make a bit of sense LOL

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Always a last resort I would think, but valid. By this time in the season, if the judges hate it enough for it to dumb down your GE scores or if it's just a performance driven part that needs to be watered down, we're about at the last call for doing that I would think. 

As I type this I am realizing that I am half asleep and it may not make a bit of sense LOL

Naw, man, you're making sense.

And again, I want to stress that I have no inisght into and am not judging the 22 season through this lens. And agree that changes along these lines right now are getting a little late.

I've not been part of a show that cut things this late anyway. Just musing again... :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Naw, man, you're making sense.

And again, I want to stress that I have no inisght into and am not judging the 22 season through this lens. And agree that changes along these lines right now are getting a little late.

I've not been part of a show that cut things this late anyway. Just musing again... 🙂

I think the only time we ever cut anything THIS late in a season was maybe some tenor visuals. But if you have hung around enough tenor lines (and SCV has had some beast tenor lines,) if you cut out 22 tenor visuals, you'll still be left with at least 100 of them.

• Like 1

Some random thoughts after a good night's sleep, after attending this show (from the 15th row in the lower section):

• Outdoor drum corps is wonderful! No annoying echoes. Yes, there's the weather element, but personally I would rather take my chances on potential weather issues and have an outdoor competition.
  • The venue was fine. Not perfect, but fine. Getting into and out of the parking lots were a lot of "fun."
  • Thank you to DCI and the corps for getting all the performances done quickly, with minimal downtime between corps.
  • My wife is interested in DCI only because of me. She has no direct involvement in the activity, and no musical or performing arts connections at all. She is into DCI now purely for the entertainment aspect of it. So with that preface, her favorite shows were Gold and Academy. She said that those were the two shows that kept her engaged and interested all the way through. She also really enjoyed Phantom and Boston.
  • A friend that marches with my son in a high school drum line accompanied us for her first taste of DCI. Her favorite show was Blue Devils.
  • The musical moment of the evening, for me, was a brass hit in Bluecoats show. Its in the Momento Magico portion, a little bit before the keytar comes in. They are playing a sustained loud note, and then for the last measure or two of that section, take the volume up at least 4 more fortes. It was simple, but SPECTACULAR, and you could see everybody (at least in the lower section) kind of move their head back, as if the power of that note forced it back. That added volume doesn't come through on the TV.
  • The best single section of any corps (IMO) was the BAC guard. And I'm a music and percussion guy. But the onslaught of tosses and everything else that the BAC guard was doing could not be ignored.
  • The crowd seemed energized, with numerous legitimate (not "courtesy") standing ovations. Although I have to say, I'm surprised that some people still don't understand the common courtesy of not moving to/from their seats during a performance, and not audibly talking during a show. I had to "remind" a couple young teenagers sitting behind me to please wait to have their extended conversations between shows. After that, they were respectful.

All in all, was great to see live drum corps again. It's Flo or nothing for me for the rest of the season, however.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

(and SCV has had some beast tenor lines,)

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47hgwygnxw397jt3vsmr

8 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think the only time we ever cut anything THIS late in a season was maybe some tenor visuals. But if you have hung around enough tenor lines if you cut out 22 tenor visuals, you'll still be left with at least 100 of them.

🤣😂 LOL for me the visuals are worth any resulting mess, but I get it, I'm in the minority!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

The musical moment of the evening, for me, was a brass hit in Bluecoats show. Its in the Momento Magico portion, a little bit before the keytar comes in. They are playing a sustained loud note, and then for the last measure or two of that section, take the volume up at least 4 more fortes. It was simple, but SPECTACULAR, and you could see everybody (at least in the lower section) kind of move their head back, as if the power of that note forced it back. That added volume doesn't come through on the TV.

I never saw drum corps during the G bugle era but I like to imagine that’s what every ff moment sounded like. That moment was quite something from row 15 last night.

• Like 1