Saturday, July 30th .. 4:55 PM “DCI Southeastern Championship” …Center Parc Credit Union Stadium … Atlanta, GEORGIA

16 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Naw-lins style. 🙂 

I don't have a whole lot of drum corps heroes, but Marty is at the top of the list. Never marched for him, never instructed under him, but competed again him for years and that man simply oozed drum corps head to toe. 

I came up in an odd situation. My private instructor (dad made me get one when I decided I was going to march DCI,) marched under Marty or knew Marty (not sure which) so I had that influence. Most of my band directors in HS came from the east coast in the 60's and 70's and they approached everything drumming with that same style. I had an instructor pull me to the side once and ask where I got my slight left hand turn in from and tell me he had only seen it in Hurley's lines. No matter how much I tried to flatten it out, it just would never "correct" so I just hung with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

welll.......Bloo's percussion hasn't been in the top 3 really since what 16? 17?

Since 2015, they’ve had two second place finishes(2015, 2016) two 5ths(2017, 2018) and one 3rd(2019). They had some down years in the middle, but more often than not they are. The caption isn’t really a weakness for them anyways haha. We do have to remember going back 5 years today(beginning of august 2017) only gives us 2 full competitive seasons and some change, and we can thank Covid for that haha

16 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

I think you may have responded this without reading our chain of replies. I don’t believe it will, either. We were talking about what gets rewarded, he thought that fan reaction (specifically the people seeing it for the first time) should influence scores. I was arguing that it would lead to saturation of those tarp moments.

Anyways, no harm, no foul, I just think you might have not understood the context.

I was kinda interjecting without having read the whole convo, but I definitely still had my piece to say there. My opinions of “first-time viewing/reaction” have changed a bit over time, who knows the realistic number of people who are going into a show truly blind. With all the hoopla surrounding show announcements/previews, the avenues that are now available to fans to watch a show now, either through streaming or…other means🙂 I think that number drops by the year and doesn’t have as much impact. Screaming kids will be screaming kids at every show you go to😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Easily one of their worst designs 😂

Lots of cool and memorable moments. The first 90 seconds are to die for. The ballad was great. I even loved the trombones. But the flow and pacing of that show weren’t very good. Lots of visual moments that didn’t feel right. Really disappointed with the ending. One of those years that BD was more enjoyable (to me) in their music book than their visual book. A lot of head scratching moments (the Beiber section felt like a throw away waste of time)

Ok, I want to refresh my memory. I’ll have to watch this one again today. Downside Up was such a blast of a show, but it was stinkin dirty to be placing that high. I just don’t think BD had a strong enough design, nor did Crown.

Okay the Bieber moment sucked. We agree on that!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I hear the drive for designer standards here, really I do. I was in the same boat.

If I pull back to the organizational level though...

I can see this RHRN for the magnetizing affect it has. I can imagine this org got together and said What are some of the best ways to engage live audiences in drum corps? This is refreshing during a pandemic when so many of us have been isolated and sedentary. Here comes Crown to say WAKE UP! LOOK AT THIS! OR THIS! OR THIS! OR THIS! There is a creative integrity to commitment that I'd hate to see go unnoticed. On top of that, they've delivered a show that pushes the limits of what a guard can do with props. It's imaginative and I guarantee that any layperson that sees this show lined up among the others will remember it first! 😉

I see where you are going, I really do. But the show comes off as cheesy to me. Forced and awkward—not unlike many of the moments CC has done since Inferno, which to me is one of the iconic show designs in drum corps history. Up there with Phantom of the Opera, Down Side Up, Drum Corps Bride, and Felliniesque.

A show about everything is a show about nothing, it’s not a concept as much as a box with a bunch of mismatched toys in it. To me the challenge is to have a concept that does what you are saying, but holds together as a theme. End to end. 

Hey everyone, stick your head through this huge tarp and sway back and forth—that’s the epitome of jumping the shark. 

I love Crown so don’t call me a hater. My goodness their brass arrangements and execution are second to none. When they hit a show design, like Inferno and E=mc2…magic!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

I think you may have responded this without reading our chain of replies. I don’t believe it will, either. We were talking about what gets rewarded, he thought that fan reaction (specifically the people seeing it for the first time) should influence scores. I was arguing that it would lead to saturation of those tarp moments.

Anyways, no harm, no foul, I just think you might have not understood the context.

To be clear, what I am suggesting is that DCI still does not know how they define GE. When four judges, two weeks from finals, separate into two clear groups, and their scores are over half a point apart—that’s bad. And I don’t think that’s really arguable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I see where you are going, I really do. But the show comes off as cheesy to me. Forced and awkward—not unlike many of the moments CC has done since Inferno, which to me is one of the iconic show designs in drum corps history. Up there with Phantom of the Opera, Down Side Up, Drum Corps Bride, and Felliniesque.

A show about everything is a show about nothing, it’s not a concept as much as a box with a bunch of mismatched toys in it. To me the challenge is to have a concept that does what you are saying, but holds together as a theme. End to end. 

Hey everyone, stick your head through this huge tarp and sway back and forth—that’s the epitome of jumping the shark.

I love Crown so don’t call me a hater. My goodness their brass arrangements and execution are second to none. When they hit a show design, like Inferno and E=mc2…magic!

I don't think you're a hater.

Just seems like you're holding out for some strange, wildly high creative standard for.... drum corps shows....

Crown's allowed to have a cavalier attitude about shows. Listen, I haven't been around for their ascent. I don't know what the last 20 years have looked like for them. All I can say is I give the design and instructional team the benefit of the doubt for putting that many wild elements on the field AND being able to sustain the members' high performance levels. If this grabs the attention of weary pandemic survivors, as I argue it does, then more power to them.

I think you're just getting caught up on the wrong things. No hate. Just musing...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

To be clear, what I am suggesting is that DCI still does not know how they define GE. When four judges, two weeks from finals, separate into two clear groups, and their scores are over half a point apart—that’s bad. And I don’t think that’s really arguable.

This is a valid point. I can't tell if it's good or bad yet. To your point, yes, it's bad that the judges seem to be seeing different shows OR using different criteria. That should be clarified.

I think the parting of ways is good because that "rogue" GE judge identified the two shows I happen to think have a UNIQUE approach to GE this year and therefore standout to me. If the "rogue" judge caught that, then I'm glad. They deserve credit for being standout. This judge gave them a fighting chance to be recognized for the creative risks they took.