Granny's Top 5. What's Yours?

1. Bluecoats - the program this year has had me captivated from the moment i saw it. the musical selection, the visuals, the story and message all has stuck with me in ways i cannot describe. this show has influenced many things about me. 

2. Blue Devils - a program that many consider to be "cookie cutter blue devils" with it's stylistic similarities to past years. it however, in my honest opinion is the best BD program since 2017, maybe even 2014. the music is familiar and fun, and the show is visually appealing and interesting. it hurts to see few people giving it the time of day to pay attention to it and understand the interesting things happening in it.

3. SCV - the slowest burning program of the season. slowly evolving into something great. music is amazing and well performed. drill is mesmerizing.

4. Boston Crusaders - talk about captivating! this program is visually amazing (outside of a few guard things that make me somewhat uncomfortable) and has music that sticks with you. 

5. Blue Knights - not the most popular or clean or anything, but when i saw it live, i was immediately a fan. the brass just had me, dare i say, vibing, and the visual aesthetics dont even get me started! this was a program that stuck with and i immediately knew this would be a favorite for me. 

as an honorable mention, blue stars have a great music book and a cool idea, although i am not the biggest fan of some of the visual elements of the program. i also feel this way with mandarins and carolina crown.

On 8/8/2022 at 5:01 PM, Granny Smith said:

You finally receive your Finals VHS in the mail and it only has five shows on it—which ones would you pick from 2022? (Because who really cares about scores when you're sitting on the davenport watching drum corps in hi-fi)

1. Cadets (Dazzling)
  2. Troopers (Piloerection*)
  3. Regiment (Luscious)
  4. Boston Area Crusaders (Wonderful)
  5. Crown (Avant-Garde)

*Lest you think I'm being naughty with my words.

Ok Granny here are mine….

Phantom 

Colts

Bluecoats

Cadets 

Jersey Surf 

HM: Blue Stars 

Now Granny please don’t get upset like you just realized you ran out of your All-Bran cereal , I might feel differently and change my mind by Finals night . 

My five: 1) Cadets  2) Crown  3)BAC  4) BD  5)Troopers(The cellist was an unexpected bonus)..covid denied us of  a full corps for much of the season but their   potential is outstanding ...imo..peace

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, jjeffeory said:

"Favorites

1) Phantom Regiment - It's a breath of fresh air, inspirational, and pure "Phantom". Probably the best or second best use of props this year. They're like members with their own dots."

==============================

Brilliantly stated!  Lord knows the kids are getting a workout pushing those things around though!  LOL  I suspect those with that responsibility had to do some serious leg day workout for Strength/Stamina.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, jjeffeory said:

Least Favorites

1) Blue Devils - I'm super tired of the formula. It's antiseptic in the sense that it is free of disturbing or unpleasant features, and it's also free of pleasant features ( passion for example). Hate on me, laugh, or whatever... I criticise my corps too, so...   I just don't enjoy the design aesthetic in regards to brass arrangements, pacing, content, and whatever else is going to influence everyone else when they win again."

Again brilliant summation of the feeling from a great many people this year.  I am NOT claiming it is the majority, just a lot of commentary flying around).  Technically it is nearly flawless, and the music is more than decent.  But aside from the powerful flashbacks to my childhood and a tiny bit of ASMR feeling from that song, the rest of it leaves me feeling nothing greater than <meh>.  I honestly can't remember any real sensation or impact beyond Moon River.  And that, my friends is a definite problem.. If you can have a technically brilliant show, but people can't really remember it strongly a few hours later, than you sort of failed in a major objective.

A show should be about really engaging the audience, not pandering to what you think the judges want to see.  I've seen the accusation from a broad variety of viewpoints that BD are focusing on ticking all the Judges' boxes for scoring, rather what Phantom is doing this year... i.e., building a music composition that takes you on a powerful emotional jury. The "Eli's Theme" ballad duet is by far my favorite ballad moment of the year.

Since I hadn't discovered a way to watch live until this year, I've been scouring YT for videos of some of the greatest successes from Corps in the last 2 decades or so... say, after Star's bizarre choice to go in a wildly different direction.  I too, am totally blown away by shows like Spartacus, Tilt, and Babylon.   It may not place high, but "vorAcious" has some of the most intense musical reactions from me in decades. Thanks to the brilliant use of "Derrick" (they named it and gave it its own Facebook page  HAH!), the cello, and the simple but overwhelming effect of the streamers to give us an oil sunburst, I will NEVER be forgetting that program!  I have no doubt Ennio Morricone (comp. Estasi Dell'Oro) would highly approve of the amazing coup de theatre to close that show.

Edited by Zakhad Utah
Cleaning up some punctuation,spelling,etc.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1