Carolina Crown 2023

Thoughts on Crown after last nights show:

Some nice additions and tidying up over the past several days. Still a little extra umph missing from a GE sparkle perspective. Brass is definitely the Ott contender with a fantastic book. As I’ve stated before and on other platforms, biggest gripe is the lack of varied drill design beyond curvilinear forms in front of the tables. I think the other thing that gives me a little irk is that their forms essentially all have the same interval- compare that to some of the tight forms that Bluecoats put on the field. Guard is killing it, achievement out scored content last night which leads me to think they need to and will add a little more meat to their already tasty work.

Compared to BAC, Crown has better flow/transitions between their sections that will continue to be rewarded over the season- particularly in GE. BAC show is very much here is the next song we picked to play and think it fits with our theme. Comparatively, a cohesive storyline is present in Crown's show and I think will become more apparent as the season progresses. I foresee some uniform color changes for the main characters, red maybe so they can pop?

Congrats on the win CC. I think cream team still has some nice additions up their sleeve to keep them in the fight till the end of the summer. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, palmettomello said:

Congrats on the win CC. I think cream team still has some nice additions up their sleeve to keep them in the fight till the end of the summer. 

Just chatting about this elsewhere.  I think Crown needs to add something to the end before San Antonio.  Doesn't have to be the final end -- maybe just part of it.   They have a history of putting off the final changes until right before Murfreesboro (or sometimes before East). Giving the show a little push earlier would be common sense based on past history.  What say you Crownies? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, karuna said:

Just chatting about this elsewhere.  I think Crown needs to add something to the end before San Antonio.  Doesn't have to be the final end -- maybe just part of it.   They have a history of putting off the final changes until right before Murfreesboro (or sometimes before East). Giving the show a little push earlier would be common sense based on past history.  What say you Crownies? 

I think the layering paired with a slight change to the music at the end would help. Eventually what they have planned will give them that boost of GE, but they need to stay relative in the caption until then. 

4 minutes ago, Grandpa Joe said:

I'll be sure to see myself out then. 

It's all good Grandpa.  Just keep those comments in show threads and keep our thread ours.   Critiquing other corps here just invites drama;  if you do it in show threads,  the drama ends quickly because before you know it everyone has moved to the NEXT show thread (which reminds me...)

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Crown is great! I think the brass has taken a slight step back in excitement, but the quality is there.

Something about their staging doesn't sit perfectly with me, but that's ok.

I won't be mad if they win it all, but it's going to take until the end to sell me on this show.

The guard is on fire. The percussion seems great and integrated well, but the combination of brass and percussion isn't blowing me away. I've seen the show live 3 times, and I have to fight to stay focused.

I wanna throw babbies, but I'm not compelled to throw babies. We'll see how that goes.

What should I be looking for in order to get more out of the show?

With Boston, I concentrated on the guard, and that drew me in.

With Bluecoats, I focused on that bacon-sizzle brassline. That drew me in.

With Crown, I'm used to that brass. Now it's the guard that's doing the heavy lifting, but it doesn't give me that Cadets '93 level of excitement just yet.

I need some education folks! Please point some stuff out for me!

Thanks!

In terms of excitement I think I like what they offer this year more than 2019 or 2022. I think for many people, last year got a little too stale too quickly and this year seems like much more a return to form as to how Crown can grip you and really take you on a ride with their hornline.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

In terms of excitement I think I like what they offer this year more than 2019 or 2022. I think for many people, last year got a little too stale too quickly and this year seems like much more a return to form as to how Crown can grip you and really take you on a ride with their hornline.

If you want something fun to watch,  watch the guard when the main soloists are doing stuff.  They are echoing the action in clever ways! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1