Phantom Regiment 2023

4 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

there's online chatter about the closer being a hit with the MMs. closers are tricky, they should grow out of everything that came before, but also be different from everything that came before. And a wrong-footed closer could (but usually not) ruin an otherwise brilliant show. Cant' wait to see it IRL

The brass is reported to have taken a step up from last year. If you happened to enjoy Phantom’s closer last year, I definitely did, then fans should be excited about that. If the MM’s are that hyped about it, it’ll show in the performance🔥

• Like 2

The Brass sounded great this week. The battery also seemed a bit more aggressive so it looks like it will be a good year on the musical side. They also have a female snare drummer which is a nice add.  The drummers seem pretty excited about the new percussion staff.  The guard also likes the new staff there. The question mark for me is the Guard, they looked really young to me. However these are the first few days and with a new staff andit is difficult to get a good read, but there is a lot of enthusiasm there.  They decided to let recent Alumni volunteer and that provided some great and very helpful assistance on the food truck and in the sewing.   One change that was made from tradition was putting the silverware at the end of the chow line instead of at the beginning at the urging of members, who seemed to like that change.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

The Brass sounded great this week. The battery also seemed a bit more aggressive so it looks like it will be a good year on the musical side. They also have a female snare drummer which is a nice add.  The drummers seem pretty excited about the new percussion staff.  The guard also likes the new staff there. The question mark for me is the Guard, they looked really young to me. However these are the first few days and with a new staff andit is difficult to get a good read, but there is a lot of enthusiasm there.  They decided to let recent Alumni volunteer and that provided some great and very helpful assistance on the food truck and in the sewing.   One change that was made from tradition was putting the silverware at the end of the chow line instead of at the beginning at the urging of members, who seemed to like that change.

Rock on cooking staff!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, totaleefree said:

LOL I dunno how that started as a tradition.  Weird stuff.

On 5/26/2023 at 7:34 AM, gak27 said:

For some reason, the video segment for "Supremacy" (in conjunction with the show title) made me think of this:

video.yahoomovies.com@d6c620d8-87ba-3d23

Sorry, I couldn't pass up this opportunity...

star-trek-kirk-khan.gif

11 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

If the MM’s are that hyped about it, it’ll show in the performance🔥

Like 2008!?!? Everyone I talked to in 2009 that had marched '08 kept telling me just how fun it was to march that show, and when that happens, everything just clicks... The proof is in the pudding with the momentum it gained in the final weeks of '08...

• Like 2

When the Phanathon was live, I'd only seen part of the interview with Blake Dutton and the Cesario interview, but I just checked out the JD interview. It's pretty apparent that his time at SCV was valuable, and Regiment will be the beneficiary of letting him have more control than it did during his first stint. Taking electronic sound design more seriously is a huge step. 

• Like 1

It just seems like yesterday when I suggested Phantom move to more modern classical.  I got a little bit of flack for that, but I am pleased to see Phantom decided to go a step above.  I believe this is the gateway to a massive increase in available musical options compared to the rehashed classical of the past. This will rejuvenate the corp to Championship caliber.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Phantombari1 said:

It just seems like yesterday when I suggested Phantom move to more modern classical.  I got a little bit of flack for that, but I am pleased to see Phantom decided to go a step above.  I believe this is the gateway to a massive increase in available musical options compared to the rehashed classical of the past. This will rejuvenate the corp to Championship caliber.

The rep this year is being billed as wild for Regiment, and maybe it will be in how it is arranged or otherwise presented. But in the last 15 years, Regiment has periodically strayed from traditional orchestral rep. A Cirque tune in 08, a Goodman arrangement of Paganini in 09, modern classical in 10, some film/TV stuff in 11, 14, 17, 18, 22, and some new age instrumental in 22, just to name a handful. Plus, a rock tune was prominent in their 2019 production. 

Keep suggesting! There are those in this thread that give flak no matter what when their worldview is challenged!

Edited by kdaddy
  • Haha 1