Phantom Regiment 2023

4 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I actually think that's a great idea. The capes aren't ADDING anything to the GE score so why not. I really feel like it's going to take a season to get the feet right as well. Even though I don't look for it (because lord KNOWS that I am NOT the one to judge dirty feet I'm DCI) I see some feet phasing. 

I agree. I think taking them off would probably not hurt GE, but I think they might be helping out the visual proficiency scores quite considerably. Once they get locked-in with bent leg and have a strong veteran experience with the technique, it’s going to be a treat in those bright white uniforms, but it’s gonna take some time to get there.

17 minutes ago, college-phan said:

I agree. I think taking them off would probably not hurt GE, but I think they might be helping out the visual proficiency scores quite considerably. Once they get locked-in with bent leg and have a strong veteran experience with the technique, it’s going to be a treat in those bright white uniforms, but it’s gonna take some time to get there.

Basics before body.  BD gets this.  Madison used to.  The amount of sloppy forms and feet in the top 15 was shocking.  IMHO Crown and BD were locked in.

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Honestly, I think they should pull the capes off the uniforms and do a full uniform run through to see if the visual cleans up.  I mean at this point why not look at it?

I was noticing how visually busy the uniforms are last night. There’s a lot going on in their design, a lot of tarp, a lot of props and a lot of uniform. I think it all adds to a feeling of too much happening at once. The capes are another aspect of that. 

9 hours ago, Phantombari1 said:

I also think there are too many body movements for my taste, I would prefer a clean and difficult drill that shows off their marching precision.

I agree with you on body movements - across the entire activity. The issue is the judges want to see different skill sets on display and simultaneous responsibility. Crown showed them in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2022 that they can march clean and difficult drill and that didn't fare well for them because they had a lack of body movement incorporated into that difficult drill. They weren't showing enough skill sets or simultaneous resonsibility.

The one thing I will say I think Regiment does the best this year (of anyone, well maybe Mandarins too) is prop utilization. 

8 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I agree. This corps had horses early, but it's settling in probably where it needs to. I'd like to see them in 6th behind Cadets, but either way.

I'm noticing the Regiment guard more than I have in years. Keep this guard and corps-eography staff.

JD Shaw came to Regiment in 02, and Rennick in 03. But they didn't sound like their corps until 05. The current designers will get there.

All great points.

Honestly, I thought Blue Stars were going to blow by Regiment when I saw them both at the first show. But, I think Blue Stars bring up a great point here. Their staff designed them a very difficult and complex show that the members just can't seem to handle and now 11th place is a real possibility for them. So, I would rather have Regiment have a safer, less complex show, perform it to the amazing level they are and have a shot at 5th place, than go the Blue Stars route. Although, that was one thing I remember Mason saying, "Sometimes you have to have a drop in placement as part of the process of reaching the next level." I'm paraphrasing there but I think he was prophesizing the 11th place finish Madison would have in 2014. What happened in 2015? Madison had it's best placement since 2005, so maybe he was on to something and things are going to bode well for the Stars next year. Who knows. Now I'm just confusing myself.

The 2023 Regiment production is HEAPS better than what we saw in 2017, 2018 and 2019. I thought they were going to drop out of finals in 2020, so maybe COVID was a saving grace for Regiment. I think it (the 2023 show) is their best show since 2012 or 2013. I'm impressed and surprised at the quick turn around. You all are so blessed that the ship was righted before the disaster (ala Madison).

Edited by Vuitton

12 hours ago, regimentlvr said:

I think tonight’s run can beat the mandarins. I am sitting on the 40 and the mandarins felt flat in comparison. Phantom sounded amazing tonight. Wow 

Unfortunately, I didn't see it that way. I left before the scores and was talking to a friend on the way home who did stay for the scores. I believed Mandarins would best both Regiment and Cadets. That's how I read it from the theatre seats.

6 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Unfortunately, I didn't see it that way. I left before the scores and was talking to a friend on the way home who did stay for the scores. I believed Mandarins would best both Regiment and Cadets. That's how I read it from the theatre seats.

Oh I didn't see that.  I can see Regiment in 5th.  Going to take a lot but it's completely doable.  Phantom didn't have the drill tearing the others had.  We will see.

24 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

If you saw it in person you may have felt differently. 

I still think they may have a surprise waiting for us.

The entire organization from BOD to the volunteers and EVERYONE in between has done Regiment proud this year! 

MMs, you have two more opportunities to show us what you’re made of and I know in my heart you will! Couldn’t be prouder!

SUTA!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I still think they may have a surprise waiting for us.

The entire organization from BOD to the volunteers and EVERYONE in between has done Regiment proud this year! 

MMs, you have two more opportunities to show us what you’re made of and I know in my heart you will! Couldn’t be prouder!

SUTA!

Really? Have they ever added after prelims?