Blue Devils in the Details 2023

On 6/18/2023 at 1:07 PM, Chief Guns said:

Welcome to the Dark Side my friend. 

At your earliest convenience, stop by and visit @DWW11 she will give you a pamphlet on how to deal with online trolls as a supporter of BD.

Also make sure to stop by one of our many locations and see @saxfreq1128and @theonlyfizzle so they can give you a lifetime supply of "Hater Be Gone Repellent." It's great year around, but works best from June to August. 

Our BD Fanbase President @Cappybara is currently on vacation, but feel free to contact him anytime if you need a awesome meme or gif to shut down any and all trolls. 

Enjoy your stay!

im-back-baby-joey.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

LOVE the guard uniforms and the corp attire underneath the jacket (blue with the pink sash). Not so sure about the jacket that goes on top of that. Like someone else said, hopefully they look better while they’re moving!

Still better than the 2010s Carolina Crown lookalikes that Boston is trotting out, the memes just write themselves

So good to hear from you, Cappy!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, lawdn said:

I saw another video. Better sound, better visual. Now I get. The bones are definitely there for this to be a monster. And I could see much better how well the corps is moving.

BD is consistently strong in all performance captions, and other corps have proven capable at matching or surpassing them in score. Certainly Crown in brass, SCV percussion (not this year 😞) for many years, more recently BAC guard and others in guard, and many more examples. 

The one area I see BD having a consistent clear advantage is in the quality of movement across the corps. I have always noticed it but heard/read it commented on more by others last year and maybe 2019.  Even there, that doesn’t always translate to a scoring advantage, even in a caption like VP. As I look back since 2013, it seems like the key to whether BD has the “it” factor is whether they can use that wow factor of their movement into strong GE.  It stands out to me how they did it in 2014, 2017, 2019, and 2022. Less clear is 2015 but a case can be made. In 2013, 2016 and 2018, all of which I loved, BD’s shows did not read as strongly for me, and thinking on it now, their shows didn‘t have them consistently moving like they owned that 100-120 yards, even though the shows were so great it was still plausible for them to win. Would love to hear other takes. Crown 2013, Bloo 2016, and SCV 2018 all brought powerful visual packages to the field that helped them push in front of BD, as a champion has to do for the last decade plus.

Looking forward to watching how “The Cutouts” evolves! BD will bring it as always, and they sure better this year! I think the competition will be amazing.

When I saw BD at the Laramie Community Show, I had the same feeling as I did re Bloo ‘16. One to watch out for. I realize that reaction isn't exactly some sort of wild confession when we are all fans of the activity, but you know it when you see it.

Edited by resipsaloquitur
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

So when should a zilion time champion take some chances and change direction....after two zillion championship wins?  They took chances before but for some reason they are staying a course and not veering.  In 1996 and 1997 BD won and in 1998 they took a complete left turn and did something completely different.  Like it or not, it was an interesting experiment and approach.  This ongoing 10+ year approach is stale IMO.  If I had time I could compile so many exact musical moments BD has done from year to year it would probably shock people. 

I think we can easily agree that corps at the top influence what other corps do right?  Been going on for years. So, BD ditches most of what some would call traditional drill and instead uses staging.  Just like that BD has abandoned something that I think most drum corps fans enjoy; i.e. drill.  Not for a year or two but what appears to be forever (And BD performing traditional drill for 25% or less of their program is not enough to say they march drill IMO)  So, just like that we have almost lost the art of drill in drum corps because of an ongoing formula to do what....win another zillion championships?  If we totally lose drill it would be a real loss because honestly it is unique to the activity and impressive as heck when done well. 

Eh, kind of on a ramble but bottom line is I would love to see team Concord take some left turns with their show choices and design.....it would be sooooo refreshing.   Oh, and as far as people not liking corps, that has been going on forever.  As a 'Drum Corps FAN' I dont get that.  I am there to enjoy the show and the more corps I enjoy the better!!   I don't care what corps it is  🙂 

I would argue that over the years BD, as well as other corps with their own style, have created more "new" fans of the activity than existing ones have abandoned it. There is enough variety to go around in the activity. BD do what BD do. Bloo do what they do. It's not "either a corps should take a left or right turn" proposition. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I'll try not to detract from your enjoyment, but I can handle the visual aspect now, but the musical aspect is a hard sell for me. That's what's changed for me anyway.

I can respect that! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jaylogan said:

I hope next year they do a show about complaints. I hope they incorporate the exact presentation from 2 years ago but containing select rants from this board, translated to Tamil.

Song selections:

Here I Go Again: Whitesnake,

One More Time: Daft Punk,

More of You: Stonebwoy,

Again: Janet Jackson,

I Want It That Way: Backstreet Boys ,

Too Bad: King Princess

Could be scrumptious! 

• Haha 2

On 6/20/2023 at 3:53 AM, Chief Guns said:

I just learned more from you in one comment than I did in all my years of school. 

Gotta love having a Los Angeles public school education lol. 

It's gotta be better than an LA ( Louisiana) public school education!

• Haha 2