Blue Devils in the Details 2023

52 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I think you misread my intention, I never said I did not like the shows that Crown, BAC or Bluecoats are doing. I have loved every show Crown has done since 2004 with 2009 being my favorite show of all time and thinking 2017 and 2022 did not get the love they deserved. I think the Bluecoats take more risks than every other world class corps combined and I think there is brilliance coming from them. I specifically do not like the direction BD has gone since 2007. I think there were a couple of innovative shows since then (2010 and 2016 being the most obvious) and they use props very well (2019 and 2022), but I think every show since 2014 has been rinse and repeat in various ways. Why is it making me fall out of love with drum corps? Because the shows I dont like, and havent liked for 15 years are winning over the shows I love and take more risks. 

The thing is I want to like BD. I really do, but there are mannerisms in every BD show that make me roll my eyes every time. I think a single style winning over and over while the innovation is not rewarded hurts the activity. 

kids go to BD to experience the program and to improve their odds of winning a ring. The BD staff has an obligation to provide them with the best chance to do that. But you want them to take risks which, if they don’t pan out, could cause their reputation to take a hit and their membership numbers to decline going forward?  When the judges stop rewarding their shows, they will regroup and adapt. Until then, i don’t blame them one bit for sticking to a winning formula. And i LOVE that their shows have been bright and uplifting. I get enough darkness in the real world. 

Edited by DWW11
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

kids go to BD to experience the program and to improve their odds of winning a ring. The BD staff has an obligation to provide them with the best chance to do that. But you want them to take risks which, if they don’t pan out, could cause their reputation to take a hit and their membership numbers to decline going forward?  When the judges stop rewarding their shows, they will regroup and adapt. Until then, i don’t blame them one bit for sticking to a winning formula. And i LOVE that their shows have been bright and uplifting. I get enough darkness in the real world. 

Exact! And to add, their shows are not just artistic, they are artistically intellectual, while entertaining and i love that. I don't care what anyone say, but the music have been so good and versatile, really enjoyable and people still complain. This year music is AMAZING! So much fun and energy. I love the BD Kids for being so confident year after year, that speaks volume of the BD organization.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Exact! And to add, their shows are not just artistic, they are artistically intellectual, while entertaining and i love that. I don't care what anyone say, but the music have been so good and versatile, really enjoyable and people still complain. This year music is AMAZING! So much fun and energy. I love the BD Kids for being so confident year after year, that speaks volume of the BD organization.

I love the Blue Devils' KIDS.

That is all I wanted to say.

7 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

I'm a fan of BD shows but not exclusively BD shows. I am however partial to their visual design philosophy. As someone who works in the world of television and cinema, I'm trying to understand this "rinse and repeat" allegation lest someone's just taking issue with the BD style. What part of say, Tempus Blue is rinsing and repeating Felliniesque? Musically, Rota, Elfman, Goodwin are about as day and night as Collier, Kanno, and Bergersen. Thematically, a show about Yves Klein and a show about Federico Fellini, renowned in their respective fields, have no relation whatsoever. Enlighten me if anyone believes otherwise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, resipsaloquitur said:

I'm a fan of BD shows but not exclusively BD shows. I am however partial to their visual design philosophy. As someone who works in the world of television and cinema, I'm trying to understand this "rinse and repeat" allegation lest someone's just taking issue with the BD style. What part of say, Tempus Blue is rinsing and repeating Felliniesque? Musically, Rota, Elfman, Goodwin are about as day and night as Collier, Kanno, and Bergersen. Thematically, a show about Yves Klein and a show about Federico Fellini, renowned in their respective fields, have no relation whatsoever. Enlighten me if anyone believes otherwise. 

As a life long BD fan, I can identify elements over the last several years that could be considered by some as rinse and repeat.  Interestingly, when other corps do this, they are lauded for respecting tradition or for incorporating a moment from the past into the present. I guess it all depends on your perspective. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, resipsaloquitur said:

There are specific elements that are reused a LOT. The trombone glissandos..

The Japanese Anime music ( which I like the original scores)/KPOP.

The devil speech

The pretentious show titles.

The props all being white, which this year they're crayola colored, so there's an "innovation"

The format of the shows and the design ideas are pretty similar from year to year, more so than pretty much every other corps. Perhaps design ideas getting stale from the same team over a period of time?

That clutched arm thingy. I dunno is that some gypsy curse?

Shimmy, shimmy, shake.  We got it. Nice butts!

Bluecoats switch things up every year.

Boston switches things up every year.

Crown has been bouncing around with different ideals.

Cadets as well.

Cavaliers are different.

SCV had a couple of similar years recently design-wise.

Blue Stars switch it up every year.

BK was similiar for a period of time, now they're trying new directions.

Phantom tried different things.

TROOPERS keep their identity but are doing different things each year.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DWW11 said:

You just personified why every BD hater exists on this forum. Putting winning over artistry or innovation is not what an champion should be about. Creating a show that fits the sheets for winning rather than creating a show that bring people in is what alienates people. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

The Japanese Anime music ( which I like the original scores).

The devil speech

The props all being white.

The format of the shows and the design ideas are pretty similar from year to year.

Cadets as well

Cavaliers are different.

I asked a question earlier that went unanswered: why should BD take ANY risks if they keep winning?  

Everyone else you mentioned HAS to take some risks or try something new to try and beat them. 

Pretentious TITLES?  Seriously?  and, btw, last year’s props were BLUE and white. And this year they are all different colors. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

The Japanese Anime music ( which I like the original scores).

The devil speech

The props all being white.

The format of the shows and the design ideas are pretty similar from year to year.

Cadets as well

Cavaliers are different.

Add the side to side shimmy, the group cluster dance moves, the horns down jazz run, the arms out stance, the drum set lead, the over balanced sound, I could go on. 

• Like 3