Blue Devils in the Details 2023

Just now, saxfreq1128 said:

yes and yes. i LOVE bd 1998 😭 guard slayed that year too, it was the guard that inspired me to do guard

That 98 BD Guard was phenomenal! And they set the stage for that 1999 BD Guard!! Good Lord!!! To this day that 99 guard might be the best we have ever seen. 

I am not a guard expert. But from my untrained eye, 99 would still hold up well today against the guards of this generation. 

Now I gotta go watch 98/99 back to back lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

That 98 BD Guard was phenomenal! And they set the stage for that 1999 BD Guard!! Good Lord!!! To this day that 99 guard might be the best we have ever seen. 

I am not a guard expert. But from my untrained eye, 99 would still hold up well today against the guards of this generation. 

I agree. The  BD 1999 guard set the standard we see today. Had the guard even a caption we see today there would be no tie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Dang why are the Felliniesque streamers catching strays 😭 they were just minding their business

It wouldn’t be modern drum corps without a little excess! And if you’re gonna do it, a Fellini show is the place. Every corps does something a little extra from time to time, if not every year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I agree. The  BD 1999 guard set the standard we see today. Had the guard even a caption we see today there would be no tie. 

Yes Sir. BDs guard scored 19.9 while SCVs guard scored 18.9. 

Had the guard scores been added to the sheets in 1999 instead of one year later in 2000, BD wins easily. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

99 was definitely a definitive guard. I love the simplicity of the concept: everyone on flag for the opener, everyone on rifle for the jazz number, everyone on saber for the ballad, before finally giving us a mixed guard — and even then, they top it off with a full guard dance feature. Everyone had to do everything, and the design made everything they did into a feature. 

They still do that today. It’s one reason why the content scores are so high. Remember how the ballad had a huge saber feature stage right and a huge hornline block stage left? Should look familiar… You can absolutely see the line from there to here. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

99 was definitely a definitive guard. I love the simplicity of the concept: everyone on flag for the opener, everyone on rifle for the jazz number, everyone on saber for the ballad, before finally giving us a mixed guard — and even then, they top it off with a full guard dance feature. Everyone had to do everything, and the design made everything they did into a feature. 

They still do that today. It’s one reason why the content scores are so high. Remember how the ballad had a huge saber feature stage right and a huge hornline block stage left? Should look familiar… You can absolutely see the line from there to here. 

That’s why I hate it when sone say BD is not innovative, HELLO……what we see today is a big reflection of the BD influence. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Yes Sir. BDs guard scored 19.9 while SCVs guard scored 18.9. 

Had the guard scores been added to the sheets in 1999 instead of one year later in 2000, BD wins easily. 

Sigh ya … 1999 was not SCV guard’s year … But thankfully they were a bit better the next year. 2000 was another legendary year for guards. Cadets, Cavies, BD, SCV … Soooooo many memorable books that year. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Three of the greatest horn lines to ever grace a football field. 

To this day, I would put those three up against ANY horn line of the past 15 years. 

Wasn't BDs brass in 2004 the earliest to ever pop a 20 at like quarters or semi's? 

Also BDs 1998 brass might be the most underrated and slept on horn line in DCI history. 

That 1998 show is actually my favorite BD show of all time, no joke. And contender for favorite DCI show of all time period, competing closely with Phantom 1989 and Phantom 1993. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

That 1998 show is actually my favorite BD show of all time, no joke. And contender for favorite DCI show of all time period, competing closely with Phantom 1989 and Phantom 1993. 

98 BD gets lost in the sauce. Maybe cause it's sandwiched between championship years 96/97/99. 

But 98 is one of my favorites too. Killer brass, insane guard. Sadly the drums, while good had a off year by BD standards. 

But still a great year. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

98 BD gets lost in the sauce. Maybe cause it's sandwiched between championship years 96/97/99. 

But 98 is one of my favorites too. Killer brass, insane guard. Sadly the drums, while good had a off year by BD standards. 

But still a great year. 

Age outs from the lines of 96/97. To this day the highest 3rd place score. And in 2004 2nd highest score and so on…

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 2