Madison Scouts 2023

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I don’t get this. Sports teams don’t hesitate to fire coaches because they don’t know who they’d replace them with. That’s just a silly excuse in my opinion, the idea that you can’t fire a corps director unless you know who you’d replace them with. 

Lies. There’s too much money at stake to not have a list ready to call.  This isn’t sport. It’s a non profit you need to constantly develop funds for.  You don’t get any magical millions from CBS sports to pay for your admin here.  You have to find someone crazy enough who actually WANTS to chase money and put up with thankless old ####s  from two specific years that think they rule the activity who are never satisfied. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 7:39 PM, Grandpa Joe said:

Hard to not take offense to some comments being made when my child is involved. I try to stay away from this thread as much as possible, but occasionally I'll stumble in and my blood pressure skyrockets. Being a parent is hard, being a parent of a corps member when that corps is known to be hated on is extremely difficult. 

Congrats to your kid. Thanks to them for keeping the corps going. I look forward to seeing them on tour. 

as for the critics, there are lots of them, not just here, but across the activity.  Everyone thinks they can do this better, but few have volunteered their time to do so.  It’s easier to write slag from afar than to jump in and help. 

cheers to your kid from an alumni of the 00s. 

• Like 2

The thread here since the Madison premiere is absolutely brutal. The thought of completely writing a group of students/staff/designers' entire season off, after one preview show is about as short-sighted as they come. If I was a member of the Madison Scouts and I read some of these posts - I would me mortifed. As an alumnus of the corps, myself - I am always shocked at how brutally we are to ourselves. Jesus. 

I personally seem to feel like this show is moving way in the right direction for them (compared to last year). Brass, Perc, and Guard all seem way stronger than last year. It seems like the show has a better identity and a pretty substantial raise in content difficulty. Boerma's presence in the design is a big big upgrade to me as well.

As for not having the closer on - their standstill of the musical book seemed shockingly strong to me - the brass looked like they were pretty confidently doing drill step outs. I took that as they have it on - but something might have prevented them from marching and playing it. Who knows.

All that to say - excited for them, I am attending the Madison Show on Saturday - excited to see/hear it in person. In the Alumni facebook group - it looked like some design team members were going to be present at the alumni tent. Will be interesting to see what their thoughts are. 

Haters gonna hate - I am excited for them and hope they kick ### this season.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, C.Holland said:

You can disagree all you want but the  program coordinator who’s old school, the wardrobe of old school, the concept of old school, if was anymore old school they’d have been firing a starter pistol and arcing up for the ballad… zzzZzzzZzzzzZzzzZzzzzzz. 

I agree it was old school. I do not agree they were forced/pressured to do it. This administration has alienated its alumni base, including forcing them to shut down the alumni Facebook group, so who was there to force them?

This creative team has no idea what they are doing. It's been throw #### at the wall to see what sticks since 2016. Like I said before, if you can't do it yourself copy someone else. It's not that hard.

Do all the Zzzz'ing and arguing all you want. People like you are part of the problem and are responsible for the failure of this organization.

Edited by DudleytheWest

15 hours ago, Gantang said:

You are arguing from the specific to the general. Your son may be an outlier in the 2023 Madison Scouts, but it is not the rule. Dating back more than a decade, there has been a decline in the level of talent auditioning for the Scouts. At one point (if my memory serves correctly), Madison had the youngest average age of any Semi-finalist. You can't tell me that high school juniors and seniors are filling the ranks of BD, Blue, BC, CC, etc. 

Successful corps, and they do compete for placement and accolades, will GENERALLY attract a higher talent level than lower placing corps. 

Madison is a feeder corps now. People march there to get experience to move on and up to more competitive corps.

This hogwash that no one cares about scores or placements has to stop. It's ridiculous. Yes, it's not the #1 reason many people chose to march where they march, but no one says, "Oh, I'm fine if we don't make finals. I get the night off." No, they all want to succeed competitively.

I chose a corps that was amongst the top corps, but going there I never thought we would win. We did, and it was great. I wanted to win. We all did. We wanted to beat our rivals. It was great when we did and it sucked when we didn't. The year we won, I would have been thrilled to be 4th, ecstatic to be 3rd, over the moon to be 2nd, and disappointed AF if we were lower than 4th. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I just want to know who you are putting in charge to fix it. That was the question

It's not my responsibility to fix it - it's the BODs - that's what they're there for. Simple as. I'm not sure why some of you are having such a hard time grasping the concept of it being a JOB. If I fail at my job, I'm fired. If you fail at your job, you're fired. They have failed every year from 2016 to today yet they are still there. Again, not up to me. I'm not part of the organization. I would love to win millions in the lottery and offer $10M to Madison on the condition that every single person is fired! Maybe we would re-hire some, but cleaning house is what has to happen at Madison.

13 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I don’t get this. Sports teams don’t hesitate to fire coaches because they don’t know who they’d replace them with. That’s just a silly excuse in my opinion, the idea that you can’t fire a corps director unless you know who you’d replace them with. 

Thank you. Yes, exactly. In my 30+ year career, I have never known one person who failed that wasn't let go. The BOD is full of Chris's friends and there's people like C Holland who excuse-make as to why they should stay. It's only hurting the corps. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Man has been spitting that they need to fire people.  So my question is WHO WOULD YOU REPLACE THEM WITH?  If it is that easy to find someone to turn something around WHO IS IT

It's not that difficult. It happens all the time in our society - sports, arts, work, etc... If a team is failing at their duties, you get rid of them and start afresh. And you rise and repeat until you find the right fit.

If you didn't alienate your alumni, your cash flow would improve, perhaps allowing you to go out and acquire staff and directors from other corps. JW, for example, brought Santa Clara from a 7th place corps to a champion. The Mandarins snapped him up and are now not only competitive but put out great modern and entertaining corps. Mason turned Star from nothing to a champion, and was rebuilding Madison into a competitive unit. 2015 was because of him. He was on the right track. He knew what he was doing. He's not some clueless clown floundering in his job.

12 hours ago, C.Holland said:

I hope they’re at least paying their actual dues, donating to the keg fundraisers for the annual tailgate, and buying corps meals like the rest of us are.  

They are not. When you threaten legal action to forcibly shut down your alumni's Facebook page, that doesn't exactly breed good will. When delete any critical comments from any social media outlet and block people who are critical of you, that doesn't breed good will. 

Keep spouting your line. It's not up to any of us to find a solution. It's up to the Board of Directors.

God I will be jumping for joy if Blue Devils B beats them at quaterfinals, because maybe people will wake up.

• Like 1

I will keep asking the same question - who do you want to run the ship? If you know something is failing and know it needs to change who is that person to fix it? You keep typing more words but it doesn't answer who fixes the corps you believe is failing.

Personally if the director and board has to sacrifice competitive success to be financially stable that's better than a Glassmen and SCV situation where you never know if they will exist again. 

• Like 2