Madison Scouts 2023

Is the alumni problem one where people don't support anymore because they don't get in finals or is it an issue where they just think it has to be latin jazz and high screaming trumpets or its not acceptable?

Or is it a combination of both.

I come from a corps with a really apathetic alumni base. Maybe that was a reflection of corps management in the later years not engaging us but when it came time to save the group, everyone was like "eh" That's too bad except for a select few and it has never been enough to keep the Glassmen name alive.

I tried to do what I could do within my abilities and always made it a point to meet the bass drum section every year and do something for them. Now for the last 11 years I've had nothing but memories to go on.

If there are Scouts alumni who aren't supporting because they aren't in finals any longer I feel sorry for them. At least their corps still exists. It certainly sounds like the financials are in a decent spot. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gbass598 said:

Is the alumni problem one where people don't support anymore because they don't get in finals or is it an issue where they just think it has to be latin jazz and high screaming trumpets or its not acceptable?

Or is it a combination of both.

I come from a corps with a really apathetic alumni base. Maybe that was a reflection of corps management in the later years not engaging us but when it came time to save the group, everyone was like "eh" That's too bad except for a select few and it has never been enough to keep the Glassmen name alive.

I tried to do what I could do within my abilities and always made it a point to meet the bass drum section every year and do something for them. Now for the last 11 years I've had nothing but memories to go on.

If there are Scouts alumni who aren't supporting because they aren't in finals any longer I feel sorry for them. At least their corps still exists. It certainly sounds like the financials are in a decent spot. 

I think a lot of us are in this same situation. I can’t believe some of the comments here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The anger and frustration has blinded some Madison alum. They've lost sight of what this activity is about: the members. Who they gleefully cheer to fail out of a vendetta against the leadership. If there's anything that's pathetic in here, it's that. 

What is your experience in drum corps. I am interested to know because:

1). You seem to know what the member is going to feel reading negative comments. I’ve had way worse directed at me by both members and staff when I messed up. Seriously, if one can’t read a comment on the internet without getting ones soul crushed, then one needs to put on a diaper and get back in the crib.

2). If the corps you marched in lost its identity, its relevance, and was a competitive failure I’m pretty certain you would feel the same or similiar.

7 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

I would never publicly use words like "pathetic" when describing a corps that I'm sure many of their current members and staff, if not all, still feel privileged to be a part of and are still giving their all this season. Posts like yours would make them feel like garbage.

Fair enough, but I was talking about the administration, not the members. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gbass598 said:

It’s not about not making finals. It’s about a failed administration that has total control, is closed off to feedback, has stolen the corps identity, shunned it’s alumni, can’t handle any criticism, puts out failed design after failed design…etc.

I’m bowing out of this thread. I don’t like the person this topic turns me into and the rage this instills in me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vuitton said:

It’s not about not making finals. It’s about a failed administration that has total control, is closed off to feedback, has stolen the corps identity, shunned it’s alumni, can’t handle any criticism, puts out failed design after failed design…etc.

I’m bowing out of this thread. I don’t like the person this topic turns me into and the rage this instills in me. 

What exactly is the stolen identity?

I hear screaming trumpets. I see green. I see aussies. I see a repertoire that has a Stan Kenton chart in it. I see Scott Boerma is the brass arranger.

Just to be devil's advocate, what if being forced into holding on to an identity is what leads to a "failed design"

As a complete outsider with no connection to the corps administration, It sounds like there are different factions of Scouts alumni and they both get mad if they don't get their way. I have friends who are Scouts alumni and its not something we have come up in conversation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gbass598 said:

Is the alumni problem one where people don't support anymore because they don't get in finals?

That's part of it, but it's mostly due to the failure and incompetence of the Director and his regime. CK is a dictator who closed board meetings to the public and shunned alumni. It's the drum corps version of a communist regime where he guarantees re-election and non conforming opinions aren't allowed. 

Edited by TenHut

7 minutes ago, TenHut said:

That's part of it, but it's mostly due to the failure and incompetence of the Director and his regime. CK is a dictator who closed board meetings to the public and shunned alumni. It's the drum corps version of a communist regime where he guarantees re-election and non conforming opinions aren't allowed. 

Thank you for clarifying that side of things.

31 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

Fair enough, but I was talking about the administration, not the members. 

Yes, although I didn't care for the tone of your comments (and many others), I would NEVER have assumed you were talking about the members. I know you're better than that. 

• Like 1

So, from what I’ve been reading it seems as though the Scout Alumni can expect the same approach to competitive placement every year until there is a replacement of the current regime of the board and the ED. 

• Like 1