A Modest Proposal

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Still have to feed them, house them, and move them.  

and i bet at one time at most 20 of them are with the corps

Edited by Jeff Ream

7 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

There's a bigger problem than both of those. 😞 And making a shorter tour or more regional shows won't fix this bigger problem either.

What would that problem be?

47 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Member experience.

If anything the member experience is far superior to what it was when I marched 25 years ago.

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

We can disagree and that's okay. The open letter I published encouraged enough alum to share their stories with me. Some of them would make most decent people here sick. Some from before I marched, some from alum I marched with, and, saddest of all, too many  from alum that are younger than me.

Nothing matters more than reconciling that. Or rather, other solutions don't matter if that's not prioritized.

I am not sure what you are talking about. I am not aware of your open letter. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Fair. Suffice to say I published an open letter to the activity (after giving VMAPA a little lead time) in April of this year. It painstakingly detailed the abuse and neglect I endured and witnessed between 03 and 05 and offered some guidelines for how to improve. They corroborated it internally and let me know within weeks. And they shared it with their staff at the top of the season.

Alum from my corps and a few others have been reaching out to me steadily since then to describe their similar stories to me. Most won't come forward themselves, which is their right. And I can't share what I haven't been given consent to.

Ultimately, and almost universally, corps lost the trust of these alum. And these alum have mad camera time, leadership cred, and a while lot of heart to boot. So many of them tried to go back and help but were dismissed or ignored.

All the money in the world can't fix that. And my blood boils that this isn't what the community wants to address first. It's easier to pick over the bones of my corps by criticizing mismanagement, funding issues, design critiques, rather than finally listening to those of us that have been trying to draw attention to this singular issue for decades.

Aren't things like SafeSport addressing this? Isn't the loss of Oregon Crusaders and Pioneer and a one year hiatus of Spirit proof that there has been progress on the issue? Today there are more avenues to be heard than ever before and more people willing to listen and believe their stories. It's not perfect, I admit, but certainly there is progress and there will continue to be progress.