A Modest Proposal

On 1/4/2023 at 1:58 AM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I might be harsh in saying this, but DCI has gone so far beyond what drum corps was supposed to be that it's coming back to bite them in the ###... and I think they deserve it.  Banks were "too big to fail" back in '07... well, so was Vanguard.

I hear what you're saying, but if you're talking about what drum corps' roots were (ie, community ensembles that got kids off the streets with great touring and performance opportunities), that has been supplanted by the public school and the school band.  I think that if DCI were to survive, they had to shift to providing "elite" "next level" experience in order to stay relevant.  This worked for a while, but now it's just too expensive. 

You're right, though.  The business model is breaking down.  DCI needs to consider moving to a different model to stay affloat.   

18 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Well, the East coast has always been pretty expensive for all those things compared to the Midwest, Plain States, and South. I wonder what the price differential between regions is...

to some extent.  As schools shuffle their school year and semester calendars I think this sometimes creates scarcity on facilities.  but also as security, utilities, and maintenance costs go up so does the facility costs. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ranintothedoor said:

I hear what you're saying, but if you're talking about what drum corps' roots were (ie, community ensembles that got kids off the streets with great touring and performance opportunities), that has been supplanted by the public school and the school band.  I think that if DCI were to survive, they had to shift to providing "elite" "next level" experience in order to stay relevant.  This worked for a while, but now it's just too expensive. 

You're right, though.  The business model is breaking down.  DCI needs to consider moving to a different model to stay affloat.   

"Marching Musics Major League" is where it wants to go.  it just doesnt have the ability to get tv money like the NFL does or sell Bud Light ads between corps.   It wants to be the NFL/MLB/NBA... or even  competitive lumberjacking.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

"Marching Musics Major League" is where it wants to go.  it just doesnt have the ability to get tv money like the NFL does or sell Bud Light ads between corps.   It wants to be the NFL/MLB/NBA... or even  competitive lumberjacking.

Competitive Lumberjacking could be a cool show concept 

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Blue Stars came pretty close that with Call of the Wild (hoooowwwwwl)

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Doesn't Stihl sponsor competitive lumberjacking..CBS 2 (cable)?

4 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

I hear what you're saying, but if you're talking about what drum corps' roots were (ie, community ensembles that got kids off the streets with great touring and performance opportunities), that has been supplanted by the public school and the school band. 

Maybe temporarily, but not anymore.  By now, the same people have been steering the focus of competitive marching band toward similar added extravagances (and away from inclusivity) for so long that it is out of the reach of many less affluent communities.

• Like 1