London New Year's Day Parade

Wasn't aware, until after I stopped watching early on, that London has had this parade for decades.  One and done for me.  Too much host talking, poorly directed coverage, etc.  I guess England doesn't have marching bands, so they import them and may not be able to pay them.  Never saw so many mm out of step.  Yes, it was a great experience for all groups, but after Macy's, Rose Bowl, and other USA parades, it was hard to watch.

You know, I get it, these are not the most experienced high school bands in the world but there was a time when even the mighty DCI champion corps went through their growing pains and performed at this level. These are the kids who are going to keep the drum corps activity alive over the next several years.

Personally, I applaud them and the parents who financed this trip for their daughters and sons. They may be pebbles now but many of them will become diamonds later and we'll be paying to see them.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TOC said:

Wasn't aware, until after I stopped watching early on, that London has had this parade for decades.  One and done for me.  Too much host talking, poorly directed coverage, etc.  I guess England doesn't have marching bands, so they import them and may not be able to pay them.  Never saw so many mm out of step.  Yes, it was a great experience for all groups, but after Macy's, Rose Bowl, and other USA parades, it was hard to watch.

Great Britain has bands - just not HS marching bands.

I seem to remember seeing a bunch of them last fall for some reason.

Here are a few.  

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Great Britain has bands - just not HS marching bands. 

Mostly military bands and the Black Dyke Band doesn't do parades.

"But while most countries have maintained a marching band presence in their military institutions, America has brought the marching band into the classroom. Today, the music ensembles are a staple of most high schools and colleges across the country."

"Do UK schools have marching bands?
The answer is no! The answer is so strongly no that if a comedian on a stage said “Do universities in England have marching bands like in America?” - This would probably get a good laugh! No. There may be the odd marching band society or Scots pipe band, but I have never seen or heard of one in an English university."

Who cares?  It’s a cool parade, it’s a lot of fun for those in London, and it’s how they celebrate New Years Day. 

• Like 1