Cadets Relocate to Erie, PA!

On 2/16/2023 at 3:44 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Agree on doing what it takes to keep the corps and activity alive. 
Got over my “they freaking moved” shock with the Texas Crossmen. Irony is the bro in law I mentioned earlier graduated (finally) from West Chester when Crossmen were based there.

But still have problems thinking the NY Skyliners are based around Wilkes Barre PA. 🤔🤯

the New York City Skyliners of Wilkes Barre PA ( said in Fran Harings voice)

On 5/8/2023 at 10:24 AM, TheOneWhoKnows said:

They've already put together a clinic for the local marching band students. They've already scheduled multiple community performances and appearances. And this is just year one. I know the drum corps community here well. They are involved. They are attentive. They are working closely with The Cadets to make this beneficial for both the corps and the community. There are already plans to bring back the Erie Thunderbirds with Cadets partnership. We have a WGI guard here that will get assistance as well. Things are happening here in Erie. 

it'd be nice to see. when the Tbirds morphed into Excalibur then faded into oblivion, there was silence til Lake Erie Regiment appeared....then disappeared. then a long silence til the Tbirds came back, then faded back out. I'm not worried about the Cadets...i'm worried about whatever other groups come around and how long they last. Does the Cadets organization want to get back in the business of running multiple groups? they started then killed off the indoor groups, then killed a ton of bridges when C2 went away. Yes, different management, but Allentown was far more of a populated area to support a C2 than Erie is. Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland are all a decent drive from Erie to recruit from, and while there's some good HS bands up there, not enough to support a second corps without recruiting outside the 79/90 interchange region. And face it, drum corps hs only gotten more expensive in the last 5 years.

don't get me wrong...i'm all for more corps. but once LER went away til tbirds came back for a few years, a whole generation of potential members went elsewhere or just never got involved.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 12:05 AM, Jeff Ream said:

it'd be nice to see. when the Tbirds morphed into Excalibur then faded into oblivion, there was silence til Lake Erie Regiment appeared....then disappeared. then a long silence til the Tbirds came back, then faded back out. I'm not worried about the Cadets...i'm worried about whatever other groups come around and how long they last. Does the Cadets organization want to get back in the business of running multiple groups? they started then killed off the indoor groups, then killed a ton of bridges when C2 went away. Yes, different management, but Allentown was far more of a populated area to support a C2 than Erie is. Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Cleveland are all a decent drive from Erie to recruit from, and while there's some good HS bands up there, not enough to support a second corps without recruiting outside the 79/90 interchange region. And face it, drum corps hs only gotten more expensive in the last 5 years.

don't get me wrong...i'm all for more corps. but once LER went away til tbirds came back for a few years, a whole generation of potential members went elsewhere or just never got involved.

I totally get what you're saying. I was involved with the Thunderbirds the last time they were around and there were reasons I saw internally as to why it didn't work and I'm hoping we can weed that out. (Nothing bad or wrong, just some ego issues). 

However, I don't think this is a Cadets running multiple groups. It's more a sharing of access to resources. I know that can appear very similar, but I don't think either group wants to run the other group. It's using each other's existence as a benefit to continue existing. 

6 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I totally get what you're saying. I was involved with the Thunderbirds the last time they were around and there were reasons I saw internally as to why it didn't work and I'm hoping we can weed that out. (Nothing bad or wrong, just some ego issues). 

However, I don't think this is a Cadets running multiple groups. It's more a sharing of access to resources. I know that can appear very similar, but I don't think either group wants to run the other group. It's using each other's existence as a benefit to continue existing. 

Sharing of resources only works when all groups contribute equally, and all groups are accepting of the results which occur from this.  There's never been an equal share when the flagship underperforms expectations.