Cadets Relocate to Erie, PA!

9 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Well... Well... Well... How things have changed. 

Back in the day, there was nothing right about the Cadets moving so far from Garfield and New Jersey. Now, there's nothing wrong with the Cadets moving so far from Garfield and New Jersey.

It's all fine by me. I'm just reflecting on how fickle (and sometimes feckless) drum corps fans can be. 

Fine by me too. They could be from Pigsknuckle, Arkansas and I wouldn't care. Just show a good and enjoyable product. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Back in the day, there was nothing right about the Cadets moving so far from Garfield and New Jersey. Now, there's nothing wrong with the Cadets moving so far from Garfield and New Jersey.

It's all fine by me. I'm just reflecting on how fickle (and sometimes feckless) drum corps fans can be. 

I live in North Jersey.

Our Boy Scout Troop always marched behind the Cadets in the

Memorial Day Parade.

I wasn't happy when they moved to Allentown.

But what really bothered me was when they kept saying things

like "they still considered themselves a Jersey corps" or something  similar whenever they were looking for money.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree with you. To be honest it does feel WEIRD to see the Cadets that far from NJ. But at this point I think we are all looking for any positives when it comes to keeping drum corps alive. 

Agree on doing what it takes to keep the corps and activity alive. 
Got over my “they freaking moved” shock with the Texas Crossmen. Irony is the bro in law I mentioned earlier graduated (finally) from West Chester when Crossmen were based there.

But still have problems thinking the NY Skyliners are based around Wilkes Barre PA. 🤔🤯

• Like 1

The real point here is drum corps continues to migrate away from the East Coast, which has an impact.

The new regime running Cadets had already accounted for a marked decline in the number of shows in the NYC-Philly area. That trend might never reverse. The knock-on might well mean shows in New England become less economical for the corps and for DCI. And the Allentown regional? It's not going to evaporate on its own anytime soon. Longer-term without proximity to renew the major fan base? That's another story.

• Northeast? Less economical
  • Florida? Less economical
  • California? Always an economic challenge for any but the California corps. 
  • Northwest? Same
  • Mountain states? Same.

Without denying Cadets rationale*, their move has further concentrated drum corps in the "Heartland."

*though I'm convinced their board/leadership isn't pure, a topic for another day 

Edited by Sh0uldN0t
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree with you. To be honest it does feel WEIRD to see the Cadets that far from NJ. But at this point I think we are all looking for any positives when it comes to keeping drum corps alive. 

Houston Oilers = Tennessee Titans?

Delaware Crossmen = San Antonio ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

You DO realize how things have changed since the era you're talking about, right? There's nothing fickle about it. Given the state of the economy, the state of drum corps in general, and the sh#t that has taken place within Cadets over the past 5 or so years, one would think, given the relationship with Cadets and Erie as of late, this would make perfect sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

The real point here is drum corps continues to migrate away from the East Coast, which has an impact.

The new regime running Cadets had already accounted for a marked decline in the number of shows in the NYC-Philly area. That trend might never reverse. The knock-on might well mean shows in New England become less economical for the corps and for DCI. And the Allentown regional? It's not going to evaporate on its own anytime soon. Longer-term without proximity to renew the major fan base? That's another story.

• Northeast? Less economical
  • Florida? Less economical
  • California? Always an economic challenge for any but the California corps. 
  • Northwest? Same
  • Mountain states? Same.

Without denying Cadets rationale*, their move has further concentrated drum corps in the "Heartland."

*though I'm convinced their board/leadership isn't pure, a topic for another day 

Cadets leadership responsible for marked decline in number of shows in Philly-NYC….

Details????? Proof???

And I’ve heard the complaint in your next post somewhere else 🤔

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

You DO realize how things have changed since the era you're talking about, right? There's nothing fickle about it. Given the state of the economy, the state of drum corps in general, and the sh#t that has taken place within Cadets over the past 5 or so years, one would think, given the relationship with Cadets and Erie as of late, this would make perfect sense. 

I merely pointed out the different receptions that greeted the two moves. No need to treat me like I asked for the hashmarks to be repainted. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

I merely pointed out the different receptions that greeted the two moves. No need to treat me like I asked for the hashmarks to be repainted. 

I just think you should open your eyes wider. 

• Like 1