Ghosting is no way to run a corps

I think during the off season, issues involving World Class and Open Class are more similar than different. During the season I enjoy commenting on Open Class shows in the Open Class forum. Sometimes OC can get lost but when there are discussions by people who have seen the shows and know the corps, OC gets the recognition it deserves.

On 3/31/2023 at 12:57 PM, Chief Guns said:

Honestly if I wanted to shed some light on some Open Class news/issues etc, I would probably post it in the World Class threads too. 

Sadly, the open class forums are like LA Rams/LA Chargers home games...................no one shows up. 

and part of that is because in general the world ignores Open Class as much as DCI marketing does

13 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Don’t all the classes compete in quarterfinals?  And some open class in semifinals?  And once, an open class Corps (Magic) made finals.  

corect and all use the same sheets.

• Thanks 1

i think without someone as the head of the corps operations, those left to be "interim" are often scrambling to handle everything, and thus other marketing and such items get missed.  you can't do it all by yourself.  certainly not if you have a career elsewhere and drum corps is your side gig.  

• Like 1

I know alumni, and can confirm that Stars is not marching this year. They couldn't find a new director. They plan to be back in 2024.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Veritone said:

I know alumni, and can confirm that Stars is not marching this year. They couldn't find a new director. They plan to be back in 2024.

Good to know they plan to come back. I doubt they'll ever hit the field. Refer to the thread title. Director or not, the fact that someone on their board couldn't be bothered to post something says volumes about lack of leadership.

6 hours ago, wolfgang said:

Good to know they plan to come back. I doubt they'll ever hit the field. Refer to the thread title. Director or not, the fact that someone on their board couldn't be bothered to post something says volumes about lack of leadership.

you've likely read this many times here, non-profit arts are incredibly hard.  They're twice as hard when you already have another career, and are trying to do this "for the good of the kids".   When an ED leaves their post, it leave everyone else scrambling.    I don't know how large their board is, or their Volunteer team that's handling operations, but the website shows 1 ED and 1 CD (both are interim).  Even if its a paid position, this isn't a 40 hour job, its a 90 hour job.  You've got to corral the board, the fundraising, the operations, the staff, the budget, and you have to do it all in spite of a time when there's a hundred million other arts orgs applying and fighting for the same grants and donors.  Depending on where your org is, you may only have a few large donors to even be able to hit up.   While the ED works for the board, they need to steer the board in the proper directions, assigning tasks and timelines.  Often in non profit arts, when the ED leaves, the board is then left rudderless. The previous Admin's plans are often put aside, and any operations put on hold since there's no one steering the ship.  There's this idea that without an ED, the board often won't do anything for fear of doing the wrong thing.

They'll often wait for the next ED to come in, so that they can work with the programming of the new administration.  Even on things as small is this.   So without someone in that role, its not surprising that social media, ops, and likely fundraising are all sitting on hold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1