DCI Championship Week (either breaking news or trolling)

Have seen complaints having same weekend for both means DCI marchers won’t be able to fill DCA corps for Labor Day.

Flip side is the school age people who didn’t match DCA at all because of Labor Day conflicts

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

With declining attendance Labor Day weekend, wonder how close DCA is to running the whole event at a financial loss.

Another point to ponder 🤔

Asked this on FB group. They had to turn off commenting for the flames and things that needed “fact checked”. 🤦‍♂️

FYI opened a new thread on DCA side asking what protections DCA has for its members (of any age). Apparently (as per FB posts) any all age corps that wants to be in SoundSport has to go through anti-predator training. Some heartburn there to say the least

On 5/28/2023 at 7:53 AM, cixelsyd said:

2.  The two NE corps who went to Madison in 1999 are no longer with us.

Wasn't it Minnesota Brass and Brigadiers?  Hardly major travel for Minnesota 😉

My takes on DCI vs DCA:

1.  Should all be under one large organization; Size/Budgets/etc will determine Open vs World Class.
  2. Current DCI becomes defined as "full-time drum corps [FTDC]"; Current DCA becomes defined as "part-time drum corps [PTDC]" (We can still call them DCI and DCA for all I care.)
  3. Neither should be age-restricted. If someone who's over 22 can meet the scheduling requirements of FTDC, more power to them. 
  4. Use the same judging process/sheets across all of the levels (shouldn't depend on size or FT/PT)
  5. Combine shows whenever possible (weekends, duh).
  6. All corps in a show are judged the exact same way, with the outcome being whatever it is! A very good World Class PTDC could beat an Open Class FTDC, etc. None of the "classes" will matter anymore, except that we'll all know what it means to be Open/World and FT/PT...no reason to NOT let them all compete against each other if the scheduling makes it easier to do so. (The idea here is to make sure every show has lots of corps, lots of variety, lots of entertainment for the crowds. Sure, the PTDC will still be loaded with old farts, lol)
  7. The scheduling process could still allow for part-time-only shows and/or Open-only shows, and they'd still have their own finals.
  8. The Drum Corps Organization should strive to streamline the scheduling process so that everyone starts (Late June?) and ends (Current DCI Finals) at the same time (Forget about the Labor Day thing entirely?). But if current DCA is married to Labor Day, that's fine, the new Part Time Drum Corps groups can continue with their "finals run" to Labor Day, after competing against everyone else in July/August. I'd advocate for ending only two weeks after Full Time Finals, if not FT Finals!

The idea here is to get more people involved, using shared resources, and maybe build a more stream-lined, consistent drum corps experience based on location and personal time commitment. I imagine a person who might stay home, closer to a part-time drum corps, if they think they'll be able to share some full-time drum corps experiences along the way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MadScout80 said:

I looked and other corps was Rochester Crusaders. I would have guessed Empire Statesmen also from Rochester 

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

With declining attendance Labor Day weekend, wonder how close DCA is to running the whole event at a financial loss.

Another point to ponder 🤔

i have seen in several places today DCA has 1300 paid at finals last year.

so my earlier estimate of the corps at Allentown performing before twice the DCA audience size is probably now closer to 4 times that number

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, MikeN said:

Oh good grief.

Mike

seriously Mike. when i stopped marching in 96, at least 40% of the corps was under 21. i taught a DCA corps in 2000 and over 60% of the corps was under 21. it's just gone up since. I'm not trying to Brasso pick nits, but the perception of "senior corps" still persists of old guys smoking and drinking beer waiting to go on the field. in the last 7 or 8 years i hard a name DCI director make such comments as a DCA corps was getting ready to perform at Allentown....and when they heard the corps was 90% under 21, they couldn't believe it.

the sooner that  term goes away, the better off it is for those corps.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MadScout80 said:

Brigs and Rochester Crusaders.

that show was also the first time i ever got to see Chops and Govies live. and after seeing MBI i immediately thanked god i had the first cell phone nationwide plan, cause i started calling the east coast to warn them about MBI

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I looked and other corps was Rochester Crusaders. I would have guessed Empire Statesmen also from Rochester 

they were in Scranton that night with Cabs, Bucs and the rest