It's time to wake up this Open Class Forum!

On 7/3/2023 at 2:01 PM, Musicman1084 said:

I could see either Guardians or Battalion making the move. Both have had pretty large corps in the recent past with a slight decline in numbers post-pandemic (Battalion 140-150 in 2017-2018, and Guardians about 150 in 2018), but they seem set up to be able to make the move. While lots of Texas talent goes elsewhere, the band scene is very deep in Texas. Utah also seems to fill a bit of a void geographically, and their band scene is also surprisingly deep. I think this year will be very telling for both. If I were a betting man, I'd say probably Guardians given the longer history, but 2017-2018 gave us a taste of what Battalion could do even before making their DCI finals debut.

While I do think the Spartans is unlikely, it would be a huge (but pleasant) surprise if it was them. I would be ecstatic to see a world class corps in New Hampshire.

I haven't been with Guardians since 2020, but I'd be surprised if they can meet the financial structure requirements that DCI World Class has imposed. That said, it's certainly possible they have reorganized and grown the pie since then; they've they've got a talented brain trust behind the scenes.  But I thought DCI has since required a certain percentage of revenue be kept in reserve or something like that?

Mike

On 7/5/2023 at 11:55 AM, JD73 said:

In the early and mid nineties what is now called open class had over 100 corps competing. 

Many barely limping along.  It’s not safe to tour like we did then. 

• Thanks 1

100% agree. The safety and health guidelines in place today would have prevented most if not all of the open class corps from the nineties from being on road today. 

Edited by JD73

Three more Open Class Corps debut this week, Good Luck to everyone!

July 12: The Battalion at Salt Lake City UT
July 13: Southwind at Tupelo MS
July 15: Guardians at Little Rock AR

On 7/5/2023 at 8:55 AM, JD73 said:

In the early and mid nineties what is now called open class had over 100 corps competing. 

I don't believe there has ever been over 100 "open" corps competing in the 90s. Even as far back as the mid-80s, there were maybe 50+ in A/A60/D2/3 with 30-40 traveling to DCI each year up until the early 2000s. It's been really sad to see so many of them "fold" over the years. 

I pulled up and watched that 1995 Academie Musicale Drum and Bugle Corps performance and you can totally see why they won Div II/III in 1995! Excellent! 

Back in 1995, when you had to have Div III on a separate, really long day for prelims because there were so many.

Going through the list of Div II/III corps in 1995, I was like, 'I remember them!!!!' - *old*..... Of those 54  who made it to finals, in 1995, the following still remain: 

Div III to World Class: Mandarins, Blue Stars

Div II to World Class: Jersey Surf, Seattle Cascades (welcome back!) 

Div II and staying strong in Open Class: Spartans and Raiders (and BDB)

In 1995 , I would think that BDB, Colt Cadets, Les Stentors, were also around then, but didn't go to finals and are still active.... SCVC (well....  here's hoping)

And I know there were other corps that only did things like the Garden State Circuit, FAMQ, Eastern Mass, etc  who are long gone as well.  

A shame really, but so glad to see the ones that have popped up since then as well.  And catching these Open Class Corps shows on YouTube in 2023, (Sorry....I live outside the USA, so it's the only way I can see them at the moment, Flo Marching doesn't even work), they're definitely doing themselves proud!