2023 Scores Question

On 6/19/2023 at 3:32 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

So, 2023 tour is shorter than in previous seasons.  Thus, Corps will have less time to clean and revise/add material than in previous seasons.  In theory, this should lead to lower scores across the board than in previous seasons.   So, will we see top scores in the 98+ range?   Or perhaps more like 95 to win?  

I think high scores are a product of the strength of corps in the top echelon that push the envelope and really don't have any correlation to length of the season at all...comments to that effect in any other year that show would have been a winner is an indicator as well IMO...

8 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Youre back to believing that a 20 means perfect..it doesn't and never has....and were back...lolYou have to look at the entire production and whoever is #2 what did #1 have even with a major flaw puts them above. Now when you get to that one can disagree with who was better ( as people do ) forever. ( and do also ..lol )

Come on, wouldn't common sense dictate that the top score would be as close to perfect as can be? Now you just prove my point that the number means NOTHING. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

probably because many of those replying have actually judged. i do think any and all circuits should do more education to the general public on how judging is done. but then you default to WGI, and it goes downhill

You dismiss my entire premise because I have never judged, but I'm not a moron, I have been close to the activity and taught for 30 years. You even admit that judging is  nothing but assigning numbers to ordinals and my entire point is that from the outside looking in that makes zero sense. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

ah WGI again, but back to BD winning...

are you looking at the results as just your personal preference, or are you looking at the show from the standpoint of every single sheet and did the show meet the criteria on that sheet?

i may not have always liked those BD shows, especially oh 08-13, but i get why those that won got there.

I'm coming from the perspective of the fact that the talent of and the execution of the top 4 groups are extraordinary close. So the question that should be asked is what causes one of those groups to win 50% of the championships? 

Nobody is engaging with that question, they are just telling me that I'm wrong for asking it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Come on, wouldn't common sense dictate that the top score would be as close to perfect as can be? Now you just prove my point that the number means NOTHING. 

Yes bur you are focused on 1 thing NOT an entire picture. It's not how judging works, nor should it be. Clearly you want to prove some point but to me it doesn't make sense . When judging you take everything into consideration not one thing bad or even good. Lets flip this, if a group has an amazing moment, does it make then the better group? Maybe yes maybe no. 

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes bur you are focused on 1 thing NOT an entire picture. It's not how judging works, nor should it be. Clearly you want to prove some point but to me it doesn't make sense . When judging you take everything into consideration not one thing bad or even good. Lets flip this, if a group has an amazing moment, does it make then the better group? Maybe yes maybe no. 

The visual judge does not take into account the brass playing. That's why we have captions and none of what I have been saying has been about the GE score (which is it's own monster) 

To answer your question, if a group does anything amazing, it makes them a better group.

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

The visual judge does not take into account the brass playing. That's why we have captions and none of what I have been saying has been about the GE score (which is it's own monster) 

To answer your question, if a group does anything amazing, it makes them a better group.

I’m going to push back on that. As a musician and a visual judge, I definitely consider the simultaneous responsibility of visual contribution with what is being heard musically. From both a perspective of difficulty in multitasking and in visual musicality when I am judging ensemble. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

100% incorrect.....again you look at 1 things verses the entire package. You don't just judge by one moment. 

35 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I’m going to push back on that. As a musician and a visual judge, I definitely consider the simultaneous responsibility of visual contribution with what is being heard musically. From both a perspective of difficulty in multitasking and in visual musicality when I am judging ensemble. 

This is factually correct and has been for decades

49 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Ok so if you are judging brass, and see the simultaneous responsibility of the visual which creates more challenge to the brass playing, i.e. playing sideways in a plank, do you comment on the quality of the visual movement or the form of the plank? I would hope not, because you are judging brass, not visual.