The absinthe ritual

Absinthe has a mystique around it because of the ban rhetoric as well that gives it an aura of 'forbidden pleasures' ala prohibition style fun.  Favored by artists looking for creativity through altered states.  It was considered somewhat more acceptable than simply getting plastered on plonk in part because the ritual around its preparation was ornate.

I've never actually had it but have had Turkish raki which is another anise drink.  You basically mix with water and what was clear goes opalescent.  Raki packs a solid kick with a burn depending on how you mix it.  So it lacks the 'sugary smooth' of absinthe.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2

There is a bar on the Lower East Side of Manhattan called William Barnacle (on St.Marks Place?) that has several Absinthes and a very elaborate water device for the ritual. My daughter and I go there whenever I’m in the city. We call it the Absinthe Bar.  Have three Absinthes and you see the fairies.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Green Fairy is a nickname for it and the purported hallucinogenic effects it can have.   So the show picks up on all that as they shift to the green uniforms.

• Like 3

My first trip to Europe was in the summer of 2011, and the first stop was Prague. Absinthe shops abound in Prague. It was advertised so frequently that I assume it was the real stuff. I planned to try it, but time in Prague ran out, and it was on to Vienna, Munich, and Zurich. I figured it was a European thing, and that I'd try it in the next city. As it turned out, it was not a European thing. At least not in the plentiful sense of Prague. In retrospect, Prague was a very "absinthe" city, but I didn't know any better.

I finally tried it in Italy a couple years ago. It tasted like licorice to me, which is to say I didn't like it. I saw no fairies, but I did feel my face making an "ew face" with every swallow.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

This is easily the most niche thing I've ever read.

And we’re into drum corps! 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I finally tried it in Italy a couple years ago. It tasted like licorice to me, which is to say I didn't like it. I saw no fairies, but I did feel my face making an "ew face" with every swallow.

That's the anise flavoring.  It's not something everyone likes...heh.

• Like 2