What happens first? (Boston and Mandarins)

You never know.

In 1978 if someone asked if Cavaliers were going to medal first or Regiment was going to win first, everyone would have said Regiment would win first. Not only did Cavaliers medal before Regiment won, they won two titles before Regiment won.

In 1985 if someone asked if Star was going to medal before Cavaliers or Regiment won, people would have said Regiment and Cavaliers would win first. Not only did Star medal before those two won, Star won before those two won.

I now we aren't the same era, but I thought this was interesting.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

I am curious to find out the specific reasons people are hyping the Mandarins in 2023?  Granted, to date I have only seen and heard Mandarins via the live streams which is not a great indicator but from that  perspective I don’t see or hear anything from them that makes me think Wow Mandarins have arrived and are ready to pass the likes of Cadets, Cavies, Phantom and Blue Stars (pls note 3 of those corps are multi time champions). 

I mean I have no Ill will towards team Sacramento more power to them but I don’t see it …..yet

While the Mandarins haven't gone head-to-head yet with corps you mentioned, Mandarins did beat Phantom and Cavies multiple times last season, including beating both of them at the 2022 San Antonio regional. 

Yes PR and Cavs finished above them 8th/9th at finals and rightfully so, Mandarins have proved they can go toe to toe with two of the multi time champs you brought up. 

We will see what happens starting Saturday vs Troopers, which in another thread I believe you said will beat the Mandarins this year. 

Time for everyone to put up or shut up. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

While the Mandarins haven't gone head-to-head yet with corps you mentioned, Mandarins did beat Phantom and Cavies multiple times last season, including beating both of them at the 2022 San Antonio regional. 

Yes PR and Cavs finished above them 8th/9th at finals and rightfully so, Mandarins have proved they can go toe to toe with two of the multi time champs you brought up. 

We will see what happens starting Saturday vs Troopers, which in another thread I believe you said will beat the Mandarins this year. 

Time for everyone to put up or shut up. 

Well to be fair 2022 was quite a different season then what happened  previously and what is being experienced this season. Mainly due to most corps having to deal  with lots of blanks  on and off due to Covid.   Additionally, San Antonio is an interesting show, but it is three weeks from Finals, so not the best gauge  either. 

this topic is basically titled , what will happen first a  Boston win or will  Mandarins medal?  The idea that the  Mandarins or any corps  who finished in 10th the previous season would plow through the ranks to medal is a bit fantasy to be honest.  Just my opinion 

I am simply asking what the hype is regarding the Mandarins because I don’t know?
Is something vastly different with them this year compared to last season that is going to land them ahead of some very significant competitors ?     

honestly, let’s not all get tied up on these things and just enjoy the corps  and the season 

Edited by Triple Forte

10 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Well to be fair 2022 was quite a different season then what happened  previously and what is being experienced this season. Mainly due to most corps having to deal  with lots of blanks  on and off due to Covid.   Additionally, San Antonio is an interesting show, but it is three weeks from Finals, so not the best gauge  either. 

this topic is basically titled , what will happen first a  Boston win or will  Mandarins medal?  The idea that the  Mandarins or any corps  would finish where they did in 2022 would plow through the ranks to medal is a bit fantasy to be honest.  Just my opinion 

I am simply asking what the hype is regarding the Mandarins because I don’t know?
Is something vastly different with them this year compared to last season that is going to land them ahead of some very significant competitors ?     

honestly, let’s not all get tied up on these things and just enjoy the corps  and the season 

I can't speak directly for the OP, but I think he is talking about the future, not necessarily 2023. 

Pretty much starting this Saturday, we will get our answers when Mandarins see the Troopers, and then Tuesday when they see Cavaliers, and so forth from there. 

I have seen the Mandarins live multiple times, they are for real, I know they have their doubters and that's totally fine. 

Again starting this Saturday, it will all be settled on the field. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

this topic is basically titled , what will happen first a  Boston win or will  Mandarins medal?  The idea that the  Mandarins or any corps  would finish where they did in 2022 would plow through the ranks to medal is a bit fantasy to be honest.  Just my opinion 

The question isn't which is more likely to happen this year. It's which do you think will happen first in the future... if at all. 

You clearly missed the point of the question because I think you're still stuck on "I don't get the Mandarins hype" argument. I think it's being brought up because almost everyone else who has seen them live or on Flo disagree with you. Hopefully your opinion on them changes once you see them live.

Edited by CAtenhut
  • Thanks 1

Mandarins are cleaner out of the gate than they ever have been before and cleaning well on the road so far. Their visual and brass in particular are a step up from past years.

The design of the show has stepped up the demand and complexity. Admittedly they've been doing this each year for a few years.  But they're at a point now where the complexity and demand seem consistent through the show. There's not really a "this is the part where they give everyone a break" section.  The lulls for sections are spread through the show in ways that keep the overall package consistent.  

The theme reads through the show design in a more coherent way than I've seen them do since bumping up to the finals tier in World Class.  And it's a fairly fresh take, adapting some previous visual effects in design (e.g. Angels and Demons) but in new ways.  

For many it has what could be called the "lightning in a bottle" factor of design where the coherence of it and electricity of the performance combine in exciting ways to engage the audience.  

In short, I think it's mostly the totality of the package this year that has risen in comparison to past years for the Mandarins that has people excited.  And I think it will be competing with Cadets and Phantom rather than Blue Stars and Academy.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

The question isn't which is more likely to happen this year. It's which do you think will happen first in the future... if at all. 

You clearly missed the point of the question and instead still stuck on "I don't get they Mandarins hype... There is nothing special about them" argument. Almost everyone else who has seen them live or on Flo disagree with you, so hopefully your opinion on them changes once you see them live.

But why can’t somebody tell me the specific reason for the hype? There has to be some reason right?

Is there a drum line insane is their visual package the best package they ever had  Is their  GE off the charts? 

I will repeat I have no ill will towards  Mandarins. I hope they have the best year ; placement and success they ever had in their  organizations history. And I do look forward to seeing them live.

Edited by Triple Forte

Frankly. It's the Mandarins show this year that got me to pull the trigger on a ticket for Annapolis.  With BD I know I'm getting something good, so my question until the season started was "how does the show look down the line?" 

Mandarins are a show I really would like to see live this year.  BK has a show I like, Cadets as well, the musical quality and percussion will be a treat, and I wanna see how those uniforms play in person frankly.  Jersey Surf is an unknown yet, but I typically like what Surf has to offer.

• Like 3

Just now, Triple Forte said:

But why can’t somebody tell me the specific reason for the hype? There has to be some reason right?

Is there a drum line insane is their visual package the best package they ever had  Is there a GE off the charts? 

I will repeat I have no ill will towards  Mandarins. I hope they have the best year ; placement and success they ever had i their  organizations history. And I do look forward to seeing them live.

I just made a stab at it.  I think for many, Mandarins haven't been on their radar despite being that "aw they made finals cool!"   Mandies caught my eye as far back as 2015 and 2016 when Key Poulan was still writing original bits for them and they were stuck in the 17-20 range.  It was no surprise to me in 2017 when they shifted gears and nearly made finals with Inside the Ink.  The gear shift was intriguing to me too because it was a style unlike anyone else was really doing and I wanted to see where it would go.  They found/made a 'new lane' in design.  

What we're seeing this year is a development of that new lane to a high enough level that it shows consistency and coherency.

Plus...the development of the Brass program in particular has been growing and growing.  Even when they made finals with Life Rite After, there were brass passages that were either written down or hosed so they could move while the more impressive brass parts were during controlled movement or after controlled movement.  Now they're moving and playing more and there's not, to me, an obvious "here's where they've hosed something or written it down to let the brass catch their breath" section.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Is there a drum line insane is their visual package the best package they ever had  Is their  GE off the charts? 

I will repeat I have no ill will towards  Mandarins. I hope they have the best year ; placement and success they ever had in their  organizations history. And I do look forward to seeing them live.

I think they have shown constant growth and improvement over the past 5 years... almost making finals in 2017, to finally making it in 2018 and consistently holding onto that 10th spot thru last year. 

But this year just hit people different. Creative show design, stronger musical book for both brass and percussion, both sections are better than previous years, and their guard is still one of the best. Also in past years, it's been "they don't play enough" or "they don't march enough" or "I don't like vocals". But this year seems to be more accessible and almost everyone (all but you, apparently 😂) really love this show. 

• Like 3