Bluecoats, BD, and SA (TW: Sexual Assault)

3 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

SoA now has the strongest policies regarding consent and rooming. They've been publicly available since before the season started.

And yes, while an investigation can totally do what @KVG_DC is suggesting... it is still at the expense of the victim-survivor always. That harsh reality is not good for us for so many reasons.

Not always.

4 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Not always.

I've spoken to many who volunteered to disclose their stories to me. They were all in various states of response to what they endured. So sure, but as an advocate and supporter, "not always" is still too risky to build policy on processes upon.

There are all kinds of victim-survivor-centric models out there. Drum corps don't have to reinvent the wheel. They do have to begin with due diligence and research though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

I don't know bout that.  Assuming they are 18 (adults), how much responsibility resides with the corps?  At what point does it become a law enforcement issue?  Seriously, young people are going to find away around everything no matter how many rules or even a system.  I'm just throwing this out there.  Now if they are under 18 that is COMPLETELY the organization. 

No one magically becomes a master of consent at 18, law aside because the law has failed to protect historically in drum corps. Youth education organizations are rresponsible for the cultures and protocols that members are locked into, without respite, all summer long.

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

I've spoken to many who volunteered to disclose their stories to me. They were all in various states of response to what they endured. So sure, but as an advocate and supporter, "not always" is still too risky to build policy on processes upon.

There are all kinds of victim-survivor-centric models out there. Drum corps don't have to reinvent the wheel. They do have to begin with due diligence and research though.

All it takes is one innocent to be crushed in a rush to judgement.  I don't need to point to very public cases to prove this, as I am sure you have seen them on media.  Remember, not everything is a nail when you are a hammer.  Also, you can have every policy in place and young people will find a way to circumvent it.  So yes, "not always" needs to ALWAYS be in the back of your mind.  Also, we need to start treating adults AS adults when they are 18.  IMHO, corps are entirely responsible for minors, period.  Adults need to be held as adults and this needs to be handled by police or FBI.  That's why you need to be VERY careful.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

No one magically becomes a master of consent at 18, law aside because the law has failed to protect historically in drum corps. Youth education organizations are rresponsible for the cultures and protocols that members are locked into, without respite, all summer long.

I'm sorry, you are wrong.  In the US you are an adult at 18.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

All it takes is one innocent to be crushed in a rush to judgement.  I don't need to point to very public cases to prove this, as I am sure you have seen them on media.  Remember, not everything is a nail when you are a hammer.  Also, you can have every policy in place and young people will find a way to circumvent it.  So yes, "not always" needs to ALWAYS be in the back of your mind.  Also, we need to start treating adults AS adults when they are 18.  IMHO, corps are entirely responsible for minors, period.  Adults need to be held as adults and this needs to be handled by police or FBI.  That's why you need to be VERY careful.

We can disagree on nuances here. Lived experience should not be ignored, nor the legacy of predators and enablers in this activity who cover for each other rather than ever being held responsible.

As I've said, I'm actively supporting victim-survivors right now. I know what it means to be cautious in these cases. Otherwise, I would've spilled the beans on a regular basis for the last two years when the stories started piling into my inbox.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
grammar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

We won't agree here. Ignore victim-survivors at your own risk.

I'm sorry, where did I say ignore it?  Not only that but you dare to threaten me?

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

Just now, Mello Dude said:

I'm sorry, where did I say ignore it?  Not only that but you dare to threaten me?

Whoa. Perhaps I should've said disagree. I'm not trying to escalate here, but rather stand firmly on my own two feet as a victim-survivor of abuse in the activity myself who has supported other victim-survivors for the last two years.

That was not a threat. It was intended as a "universal you" because silencing, ignoring, and disagreeing with victim-survivors is what has gotten the activity to the current state it's in. Doing so risks perpetuating the worst outcome. I don't know you. I don't want to know you. And I don't escalate discussions online or in person interactions in that way ever.

I won't be responding to you further.

• Like 6