Let's Talk About the Blue Devils...

Just now, Sh0uldN0t said:

Anyway ... About BD ...

Apparently when you discuss SCV in a BD thread, it gets some people fired up. 

(Hoping no one responds to this. Just trying to lighten the mood.)

It's the hypocrisy that has me fired up. Just be honest about your position. Don't be wishy-washy and try to play both sides now or BD will come haunt you. 

On 7/27/2023 at 6:14 PM, Sh0uldN0t said:

Generally the same, yes. The difference is BD is the only corps that consistently draws from the other top 5 corps. I know there are exceptions. I know some of them personally. But generally, BD has the advantage of being able to attract more talent than the others. Whether their motivation is a life-long dream to march Blue Devils or just to improve their chances at a championship, this migration imbalance has the double impact of improving BD's profile while diminishing the others.  

I happened to run across this publicly IG post from a current BD MM (former SCV brass performer) so I feel I can (and should, for what is says about the MM's current experience) quote it but out of respect without revealing the MM's identity:

Why am I here?

It's a question I've been grappling with, and to be honest, I've been avoiding confronting it head-on. Perhaps because answering it would mean acknowledging just how much this organization truly means to me. At the outset, when I first arrived here, my focus was purely academic. I was driven by the desire for points and the pursuit of a ring. And for a while, that was enough to keep me going. Over time, something shifted within me, and my goals began to align with the profound legacy of the Blue Devils. Being here has set a standard for myself that I strive to surpass every single day. It's more than just a show now; it's a personal journey where every step I take, every note I play, is dedicated to a younger version of myself — the girl who was captivated by the Blue Devils back in 2017.

Whenever fatigue sets in or homesickness creeps up, I draw strength from the image of that younger version of me sitting in the stands, looking up to me as her inspiration for being here. It's a reminder of the incredible transformation I've undergone, emerging from a cocoon of uncertainty, pain, and beauty, and to reemerge new.

Every moment of this experience is something I cherish and appreciate deeply. I am here to be part of this symphony of growth and dedication, combining my ambitions with a profound connection to the Blue Devils' legacy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Is that how it works? On DCP we never stray from the original topic? 

I didn't start the SCV discussion within the BD discussion. I believe what happened was I commented on an SCV comment that the OP of this thread had made. Hardly out of bounds.  

Another reminder? No one has to participate in any discussion on this site if he/she doesn't want to. If that's you ...

To be fair, I understood (and I believe correctly to your intent) your comment as "I think it was a shame that it won...to the extent that their championship influenced any onward programing choices". It was a nuanced way to say that it wasn't the show that you'd prefer to have been a design precedent for subsequent shows. If that was your intent, then I got that.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2023 at 6:14 PM, Sh0uldN0t said:

Generally the same, yes. The difference is BD is the only corps that consistently draws from the other top 5 corps. I know there are exceptions. I know some of them personally. But generally, BD has the advantage of being able to attract more talent than the others. Whether their motivation is a life-long dream to march Blue Devils or just to improve their chances at a championship, this migration imbalance has the double impact of improving BD's profile while diminishing the others.  

I see what you’re trying to say, but your generalized assertion about the talent is faulty. I don’t think you can say they have more talent than any of the other top groups. Top three or four horn lines have similar talent level. Top six drum lines, crazy talent. Top three or four color guards, same. 

The difference is finding a specific performer profile, including visual capabilities. It’s not just enough to be able to play or spin at the highest level. You really have to be able to move, and “perform”. This is true at a number of other top groups at specific captions, but there’s nobody that really has that top to bottom like BD. The gap is closing though. 

There is plenty of talent to go around. BD still wins because they put together the best programs most years, and manage to get the most out of their kids, at the right time. I can think of a couple of recent times they closed the deal on finals night with a peak performance…2007, 2015, 2019 come to mind. They have also been bested by some amazing programs and corps…2008, 2013, 2016, 2018. 

As for migration from other top groups? Yeah, it happens but the number is not huge. There are also extremely talented individuals that do not make BD that go onto the other top groups. A particular winky trumpet player comes to mind. Lots of mad talent that audition at BD, then move on to, and are a great fit at another top contender. So I think the raw talent is comparable, but maybe BD just does a better job screening for their needs. 

• Like 4

On 7/28/2023 at 11:36 AM, Sh0uldN0t said:

Acknowledging the accomplishment - much as the judges did - however, needn't be the same as liking the show. I didn't like the show. And I don't like it. And if you don't like that I don't, well ...

Bro what? I'm not going to stand and cheer for a show I don't like lol. This isn't Cannes. 

• Haha 1