Blue Devils -- Too good for the rest of DCI?

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I get everything you are saying but I think you are answering the question here. There is no way for DCI to be truly fair. Drum & Bugle corps are run by community organizations. DCI cannot tell those communities/orgs how to run their operation. And different States and Cities have different advantages. California does have good weather (most of the time) and liberal laws for running Bingo. BD does well with other fundraisers too. 

- however if it was so easy in CA then what happened with SCV? Not looking for an answer. That is a whole different discussion to be held somewhere else. 

- add to this other parts of the country have their advantages too. 

Blue Devils have a vastly larger organization than most other corps. This allows them to work with more kids year around. They have more local parents involved because of BDB and BDC and other functions they run. That local help amounts to dollars when people help in fundraising, or logistics in local events and on and on. 

With the A corps Blue Devils have built a brand. They are known worldwide. They have also built a brand in how they program shows and craft their music. A lot of talent all over the country and from other nations want to be part of that brand, that signature sound, the style, and so forth.  As you stated we can't tell kids where to spend their money. So yes, it is not fair. What can change all that is for other drum corps to build their success, build their brand, their signature sound and style. This is largely what Carolina Crown and Bluecoats have done. It's how they jumped into being top 4 or 5 contenders every year. There was a time they were not close to that. This alone illustrates why the Blue Devils have been important to the activity - even if people get tired of them winning. 

So being in an area where the median income is twice the national average is not an advantage? Being in an area with less density of touring units is not an advantage? 

BD has done everything right. That's my point. Other corps are doing some of the right things but are about 15 to 20 years behind. 

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I will repeat what someone else asked: What is the point? What are you trying to achieve repeating the same thing over and over? Validation on your points that you clearly aren't receiving? Getting a rise out of people? Using DCP as your personal diary? I already know which of the 3 applies to @MarimbaManiac, so what about you? 

What does it matter to you? You could scroll on by, but you choose not to and attempt to bring someone else into the argument to antagonize him. How about we keep this on topic and you stop trying to attack people personally. 

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

What does it matter to you? You could scroll on by, but you choose not to and attempt to bring someone else into the argument to antagonize him. How about we keep this on topic and you stop trying to attack people personally. 

Guess I know which one it is. Have a good one! 

9 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Cue the "you're being too sensitive" or "taking things too personally" argument commonly used in defense of attacking people personally here on DCP. That's a documented bullying tactic, BTW.

Anyway, I'll just leave this here. You can even preview some of it without a fee: https://books.google.com/books?id=WfQUAgAAQBAJ

Edited by scheherazadesghost
typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

So being in an area where the median income is twice the national average is not an advantage? Being in an area with less density of touring units is not an advantage? 

This may be true but California also costs a lot more money to live there. Those making good money pay heavily in taxes. 

I could make an argument that Canton, OH is a more ideal place for drum corps. Cost of living is much cheaper. People have more money to spend on a local bingo and other fundraisers. The corsp has great facilities. The weather is great as Canton is not in the snow belt the way Cleveland is. Their are more high-level music schools at the college level in that NE Ohio, Central Ohio region than there are in the Bay area of California. The corps has some big donors and plenty of community support. It's an easy destination to fly into for camps. 

• Like 2

Just now, jwillis35 said:

This may be true but California also costs a lot more money to live there. Those making good money pay heavily in taxes. 

I could make an argument that Canton, OH is a more ideal place for drum corps. Cost of living is much cheaper. People have more money to spend on a local bingo and other fundraisers. The corsp has great facilities. The weather is great as Canton is not in the snow belt the way Cleveland is. Their are more high-level music schools at the college level in that NE Ohio, Central Ohio region than there are in the Bay area of California. The corps has some big donors and plenty of community support. It's an easy destination to fly into for camps. 

Bluecoats and Crown are definitely on the way organization wise, but again they are decades behind BD. I dont know about Boston, while the spent money on staff and upped their tour fees, I do not know what they are doing to build beyond the drum corps like Bluecoats and Crown are doing. Going back to my base analogy. BD is on third, a few other corps are on 2nd and most of the rest are at the plate without a bat. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Corps have been at that level...Cadets, Cavaliers and SCV. Unfortunately they are no longer for whatever reason.

All 3 had major shake ups in leadership. Simple as that. 

Just now, DFA1970 said:

It's that simple.

Pretty much, I mean we can go into detail with each one, but the story would start the same.