I will not be outdone by other Drum Corps Internet Trolls (I own VMAPA.org)

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

As far as I know, the word ‘hostile’ is its own kind of encouragement 

Oh I know, it's just not my nature. It's is others' though.

8 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Let's see what happens when they ignore the issues and try and start a relaunch without addressing anything major. The general instructional community in the bay area is definitely not going to be behind them (from what I've heard). People won't be sending their students there, in fact most people I've spoken to are actively recommending against it. 

Without the community support behind them, and with a potential second top 5/6 group in the same general region, they are going to have a hell of a time filling a corps. 

Think about it, if you're a top level player in California, where are you going to want to spend your summer? Likely I think that would start with BD>Mandarins>BDB>Travel outside of the area>SCV. 

If the Mandarins end up cracking the top 5, I don't see a path back for a dysfunctional organization like SCV to come back as a world class touring program next year.

I'm certainly vocal, but hardly the only voice working to point such things out. If anything, my voice continues to be one that's trying to help them accept that they've lost significant public and stakeholder trust. It's tough to rebuild without accepting that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

But the constant attacks on the organization claiming to represent people without any type of evidence or information to share that would provide greater insight just isn't helpful to the situation. 

Keeping visibility up, keeps pressure on the organization. Considering they aren't acknowledging the issues, and are attempting to move forward with sweeping things under the rug instead of addressing them with the community, shows they aren't interested in doing the deep work that is necessary. I think you need to realize that diminishing outcry as just "attacks" perpetuates the problem. 

2 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I want to ensure SCV is around to stay. Not gossip about it. 

This is the wrong perspective to have. I want SCV to grow, and become a stronger and more ethical organization. However if they are going to resume the same policies and behaviors that they did before the pause, I'd rather they not return. Accountability is what is needed, not acceptance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Keeping visibility up, keeps pressure on the organization. Considering they aren't acknowledging the issues, and are attempting to move forward with sweeping things under the rug instead of addressing them with the community, shows they aren't interested in doing the deep work that is necessary. I think you need to realize that diminishing outcry as just "attacks" perpetuates the problem. 

This is the wrong perspective to have. I want SCV to grow, and become a stronger and more ethical organization. However if they are going to resume the same policies and behaviors that they did before the pause, I'd rather they not return. Accountability is what is needed, not acceptance. 

As I see it, continuing to gossip about it on DCP, isn't putting nearly the kind of pressure needed to actually effect change. And that is my point. Those with concrete information need to go on blast to put pressure on the organization. That means all social media channels, the media itself, all levels of DCI, corps, etc. Continually posting about it on DCP, does nothing. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Also, I just perused their facebook page for the first time in a while. Does anyone find it strange that they're promoting their involvement with clinics and camps in other states? I'm sure it's definitely not a way for them to skirt the fundraising rules. Certainly not. 

I would think that for DCI to allow SCV back into the fold, they will require proof that the financial side is in order.  This will (should) require an audit by a CPA & a CPA isn’t going to sign off unless they are convinced everything is correct and proper as their license & livelihood is at stake.   So that is one thing that needs to happen.   To make this process go smoothly, it would behoove VMAPA to be transparent, meeting both the letter as well as the intent of the regulations.   

It occurs to me that the whole SCV saga is going to be a big headache for whoever replaces Dan Acheson as DCI Executive Director.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Well the information has been shared, numerous times. I'm glad Richard is putting together a concrete database of information to discuss issues with SCV as I find that helpful. And again, I don't mean this disrespectfully as I believe you are well intentioned, but I don't see vague statements of claiming to have information and claiming to represent groups of people without being able to disclosure the information (whether rightful or not) conducive to fostering a change that is needed. 

Fair, I guess. But when (1) Vanguard has corroborated the truth of my report entirely, and (2) I'm a weathered youth arts safeguarding expert now backed by a state licensure in a health profession and federal service and (3) I've followed safeguarding and confidentiality a to a T despite requests like yours for more details I'm not sure what else to tell you here. This is all publicly available info I've made no attempt to hid. I have a new alum approaching me practically each month with a new report. I've shared my tallies and anonymized info numerous times here. And I've told everyone here the 8 different entities I've contacted to try and share this info to no avail. Including Trisha Nadolny. Feel free to keep lecturing me though.

Alumni aren't the only people that support SCV. I have donated money numerous times to the organization. My broader critique is, if you have ideas on ways we all as fans of the activity and of SCV can put pressure on the situation to get answers, effect change, etc, please, I'm all ears. But the constant attacks on the organization claiming to represent people without any type of evidence or information to share that would provide greater insight just isn't helpful to the situation. 

I didn't say alum are the only donors I said they're likely the largest donation base.

I've also very clearly outlined a culture of silencing and siloing that prevents the current and historical leadership from acknowledging issues, let along integrating them into sustaining change. I've been working at this for two years almost single-handedly in the face of this system. You've already said stop donating, so if you have, that's a big step. If you want answers, contact them and ask questions like:

• What is being done with the $20k raised through the Feeding Vanguard Forever Campaign?
  • What current, concrete steps are being taken to restore full compliance with the state of California's Charity Registry?
  • When can donors and stakeholders expect an updated strategic plan that ensures member safety in the future and ongoing institutional and financial stability?
  • Has the board undergone a rigorous self-reflection that's transparent to the public regarding past financial mistakes?

Asking for evidence is one of the most insulting things you can ask of someone who has been abused. What you fail to see here is that I, and others, were the ones who were attacked first by staffers of an institution that didn't properly safeguard us. The evidence I've provided you is that VMAPA has corroborated my report in full. I won't be providing pictures of my previously broken thumb or xrays of my previously broken foot. The evidence of institutional abuse is in the public domain, so stop asking for it and go look yourself. Lord knows we've been leaving breadcrumbs.

Sure, keep with the criticism. I guess it serves to harden my argument, but know that other survivors of abuse at Vanguard are reading this and determining for themselves what your intent is. I'm always typing with them in mind first. Not you. Not Vanguard. And not leadership across this activity.

We both want that. But all 8 channels of communication I named previously in this thread have made DCP one of my last resorts. And I honor victim-survivor requests for confidentiality before giving you and the public the evidence you crave. These victim-survivors graciously consented for me to include them in my tallies without their names. That's a big step, not that anyone hear has the heart to recognize that. You and others have always been free to judge my character. I made sure of that when I went public in 2021. But sure, feel free to continue to dissuade others. I knew that would happen the second I stepped forward and put my name and reputation on the line. What are you and other anons here standing to lose that compares?

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Those with concrete information need to go on blast to put pressure on the organization. That means all social media channels, the media itself, all levels of DCI, corps, etc.

Heavens sake. I've already said this has been explored. Things take time and the world doesn't function around your need for expediency and claims to all the answers.  What have I been doing for the last 2 years but exactly this?

6 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

• What is being done with the $20k raised through the Feeding Vanguard Forever Campaign?
  • What current, concrete steps are being taken to restore full compliance with the state of California's Charity Registry?
  • When can donors and stakeholders expect an updated strategic plan that ensures member safety in the future and ongoing institutional and financial stability?
  • Has the board undergone a rigorous self-reflection that's transparent to the public regarding past financial mistakes?

These are actual steps fans can take and I appreciate that and I will be reaching out to contacts I have in the organization and others with these questions. As I hope others on this forum will do themselves. Because multiple people presenting these questions puts actual pressure on them. 

3 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Heavens sake. I've already said this has been explored. Things take time and the world doesn't function around your need for expediency and claims to all the answers.  What have I been doing for the last 2 years but exactly this?

Then don't get upset when people begin to pose these questions. And frankly, as you have stated multiple times, other alum are angered by your attempts to bring things to light. Then maybe you are no longer the best person to present these issues. It's very easy to dismiss things when it's continually coming from just one person. As I have said, I only ever get your side on these forums without any other source to corroborate. Which again points to my stance that DCP isn't the best place to gossip about this and doesn't put pressure on anyone. 

We didn't see the situation at Cadets change until a journalist wrote a scathing article about the whole thing. That is the kind of pressure it takes to effect change. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

As I see it, continuing to gossip about it on DCP, isn't putting nearly the kind of pressure needed to actually effect change. And that is my point. Those with concrete information need to go on blast to put pressure on the organization. That means all social media channels, the media itself, all levels of DCI, corps, etc. Continually posting about it on DCP, does nothing. 

You see this and think that's the only thing happening, and it isn't. I guarantee that people (as has been mentioned here) are doing so, but the corps is putting up roadblocks in channels they control. Some are turning to other entities, some are turning to the member pool and instructional community in the area, etc. 

I guarantee that there has at least been an affect on the potential members, and their recruitment pipeline. Considering they killed their in house training corps (incredibly stupid decision), and they don't have the breadth of reach like BD does, their only remaining avenue is through their Texas affiliates. No local band director or instructional staff who has been paying attention is sending kids to an audition camp this fall.

Just now, MarimbaManiac said:

You see this and think that's the only thing happening, and it isn't. I guarantee that people (as has been mentioned here) are doing so, but the corps is putting up roadblocks in channels they control. Some are turning to other entities, some are turning to the member pool and instructional community in the area, etc. 

I guarantee that there has at least been an affect on the potential members, and their recruitment pipeline. Considering they killed their in house training corps (incredibly stupid decision), and they don't have the breadth of reach like BD does, their only remaining avenue is through their Texas affiliates. No local band director or instructional staff who has been paying attention is sending kids to an audition camp this fall.

Then simply put, that's the end of SCV and we just have to accept to let it go down the drain. 

39 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Well the information has been shared, numerous times. I'm glad Richard is putting together a concrete database of information to discuss issues with SCV as I find that helpful. And again, I don't mean this disrespectfully as I believe you are well intentioned, but I don't see vague statements of claiming to have information and claiming to represent groups of people without being able to disclosure the information (whether rightful or not) conducive to fostering a change that is needed. 

Alumni aren't the only people that support SCV. I have donated money numerous times to the organization. My broader critique is, if you have ideas on ways we all as fans of the activity and of SCV can put pressure on the situation to get answers, effect change, etc, please, I'm all ears. But the constant attacks on the organization claiming to represent people without any type of evidence or information to share that would provide greater insight just isn't helpful to the situation. 

/endthread 

Couldn't have said it any better.

• Like 2