DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

You make it sound like BD lost. Give credit to the other 3 that have up’d their sections that will always play into winning. BD knows this. That’s why they have 20 rings, 

I said no such thing, I'm saying that it's not a done deal and there is very much a pathway for a corps to take advantage of their weaknesses. 

Obviously, not all of the judges agree they have the best or most effective show on the field, and the weakness of their percussion could likely have a hand in dragging them down.

• Confused 2

59 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

??? They are used constantly throughout the show. Sometimes to elevate individual or groups of performers, tilted up to create entrances/exits, or with people hanging on them by one hand - holding a "cut out" body silhouette shape either still or while playing/spinning with the other hand. 

I get that, I do. I like them, but they are really flat by design. 

46 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Different time, different corps, different caption...

... but just listened to the the SCV 04 drum tape and they were rewarded for doing exactly as described. They were told it was artistic to find that edge.

So I say, rewarded or not, keep riding that edge. It's fun. Continue to be the season's darling show, even if that means not rising in the scores cause the content of it calls for exactly this. :shedevil:

It’s become their brand, and I dig it. Their guard is so physical. Their arrangements are so in your face. It’s really cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gjramsey said:

What happened to the brass finishing around the cut-out props?   I liked that better than rushing the pit thing they did last night.

I like the way they frame the art at the end with four tarps. And I never like marching on tarps. But the run to the front and move around as you play fff is really old now.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I said no such thing, I'm saying that it's not a done deal and there is very much a pathway for a corps to take advantage of their weaknesses. 

Looking at the recap I just can't agree with this. BD was 1st and 2nd in almost all subcaptions (with only three 3rd place finishes (two in achievement and one in content). That means across the board the judges are seeing more content in all facets of BD's show other than percussion (3rd) and that greater content being executed at a greater level.

Crown had several 3rd, 4th and 5th (percussion only) finishes across the subcaptions.

Bluecoats had several 3rd, 4th and 6th (percusson only) finishes across the subcaptions.

Boston had several 3rds and a crap ton of 4ths across the captions.

I've been saying all season that BD's consistency across all captions is going to bring them the title and Bluecoats, Boston and Crown are going to prevent Bluecoats, Boston and Crown from catching BD, because they are all knocking each other down in various captions. 

At this point, I believe Crown to have the best chance, but I just don't see it happening because of BD's consistency. 0.7 is a HUGE gap today. Vanguard was a heck of a lot closer than that to BD for almost the entire season in 2017 and never managed to beat them once.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

And only BD could do it justice. Ima start emailing Scott Chandler. 

sidebar: saw it in New York with Groban and Ashford. Funniest. Mrs. Lovett. Ever. 

YES! Honestly, I wish BD would do a whole classical show. I LOVED how they sounded playing Tchaikovsky in 1998. It was glorious. 

But yes, they could do a killer Sweeney Todd. Well, not that the revivial is getting a ton of buzz on Broadway who knows.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Obviously, not all of the judges agree they have the best or most effective show on the field, and the weakness of their percussion could likely have a hand in dragging them down.

Silly billy boo! Our friends across the Bay don't ever have any weaknesses to exploit within a respectful competitive environment. Never ever never.  

:peek: