DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

2 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

Look at the Atlanta Regional Recaps for Rapicki's assessment of Crown percussion. Rapicki judges percussion tonight. 

i don't know anything about percussion, but how Crown's percussion has been scoring this season is so bizarre. All over the place.

22 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I mean you're wrong right now. The path is there, as has already been explained based on the sheets. Whether they win or not ignoring that is just ignorant. 

I guarantee you that the BD staff is telling the members right now that "THE DOOR IS OPEN FOR THEM TO TAKE IT FROM YOU," - because that's the truth.

As a BD honk, I agree with you that the door is open, especially based on the Finals panel. But I can also tell you that BD’s staff isn’t talking about other corps at all. BD competes against themselves, not other corps. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

As a BD honk, I agree with you that the door is open, especially based on the Finals panel. But I can also tell you that BD’s staff isn’t talking about other corps at all. BD competes against themselves, not other corps. 

Yes, I agree with that much. I mean more in a "don't rest on your laurels, it isn't in the bag" way.

Regarding the panel. I know Julie is very discerning, and I've always appreciated her perspective. I'm very interested in seeing where she ranks things.

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

You're not hurting anyone's feelings. What you're doing is making us all believe you really don't understand how this activity is judged, what separates a championship show from a 2nd place show, and what it takes to beat BD.

I would love nothing more than BD NOT to win, but after 2017 and being outraged yet again that they won, I decided to put all my bias's behind me, actually learn, and start becoming a fan of the activity (from a competitive standpoint). I sought out people who knew more than I and I learned a lot, and it really has given me great insight into why BD always wins.

How many times in the past two decades has BD run the table for the entire season, only to lose in finals? How often has ANY corps had this happen?

Remember Down Side Up? I do. I remember watching the premiere and saying the season is over, we just saw the gold medal winning performance.

Scoring in DCI is an entirely unique concept. It’s a glide path built throughout the season. Scores tonight are not recorded in a vacuum, they are influenced both by what happened before and the fact that the season ends at a predetermined date and time, on a scale that tops out at 100.

So yes, technically Blue Knights could win the Gold tomorrow. Technically that is true. But actually that is not true, it is not possible for that to happen given the way this competition is judged.

It is more likely that BD will win the gold than Knights. And why is that? Because they have won every single show they have done this season, and scoring in DCI is, by design, inclusive of that fact.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Exactly...It's funny how basic of a concept this is, and how hard it is for some people.

Winning means a lot to some. I just can't tell how important it actually is to the BD organization anymore.

If I won that much, I'd get bored and start helping my competition. Ya know, cause we all win in the arts and competition is a facade.

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Winning means a lot to some. I just can't tell how important it actually is to the BD organization anymore.

If I won that much, I'd get bored and start helping my competition. Ya know, cause we all win in the arts and competition is a facade.

Winning brings money. And success brings the most talented staff and marching members. BD knows that if they start not winning gold someone else will. And that will impact all three of the above.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

i don't know anything about percussion, but how Crown's percussion has been scoring this season is so bizarre. All over the place.

Great, so you agree there is ambiguity at least somewhere. 

So, what happens if the drum judge drops BD drums to 4th, and moves Crown up to 3rd? And what happens if both MA judges have Crown on top, instead of the 1/4 split like last night? 

If that happens, Crown wins music, flat out. 

What happens if the 4 GE judges agree on Crown being 1 or 2, instead of 1,2,3,3 like last night? 

Crown likely wins GE, flat out. 

What happens if the colorguard judge puts BAC on top, and drops BD to 2nd?

It would erode BDs stranglehold on visual. They'd still win, but not every caption. 

All of those things are TOTALLY possible, as can be seen from last night's scores. The GE and Music judges disagreed on the same show on the same sheets. If they all resolve in one direction, Crown could win. Or, they resolve in the other direction and BD increases their lead. BOTH are possible. It's important to recognize that, otherwise you have a situation where BD honks are blindsided and claim conspiracy theories. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Winning brings money. And success brings the most talented staff and marching members. BD knows that if they start not winning gold someone else will. And that will impact all three of the above.

Yes, it's a self-reinforcing, capitalistic cycle that doesn't always feed the best art or member experience across the industry. I'm aware.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Remember Down Side Up? I do. I remember watching the premiere and saying the season is over, we just saw the gold medal winning performance.

Yep. I thought the same thing. Also, I remember watching Vanguard at Stanford and thinking, "It's over, this show is going to win." 

Blue Devils don't need a special show to win. Everyone else needs a show like '08 Regiment, '11 Cadets, '13 Crown, '16 Bluecoats and '18 Vanguard to win, and IMO no one has a show like that this year.

1 minute ago, Vuitton said:

Yep. I thought the same thing. Also, I remember watching Vanguard at Stanford and thinking, "It's over, this show is going to win." 

Blue Devils don't need a special show to win. Everyone else needs a show like '08 Regiment, '11 Cadets, '13 Crown, '16 Bluecoats and '18 Vanguard to win, and IMO no one has a show like that this year.

And many still argue that Phantom should not have won the gold medal, that it violated the understood rules of DCI scoring as I described above.

• Like 1