DCI and Indy sign extension thru 2033

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

It’s expensive no matter where you go. Have it out west? None of the east open class will go. You may even lose some world class corps. 

Really? Some will, because they came in 2007. 

Alternating years and having cities bid is a logistical pain in the butt compared to using the same stadium every year, but it shifts the burden of long haul traveling more equitably. A west coast finals would have an additional 5 California corps join open class, maybe 6 if SCV ends up coming back (😂😂😂). 

IMO DCI chose to prioritize easy, over equitable, and it has had negative effects. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac

3 hours ago, Onionhead2 said:

I went to a race once !!!!!!

3 hours ago, 90svet said:

What city would have adequate housing for so many corps?

just so you know Grandpa Joe, I got the bums rush out of a tent revival in the talladega infield in 2000,

for breaking out my Vuvuzela.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Really? Some will, because they came in 2007. 

Alternating years and having cities bid is a logistical pain in the butt compared to using the same stadium every year, but it shifts the burden of long haul traveling more equitably. A west coast finals would have an additional 5 California corps join open class, maybe 6 if SCV ends up coming back (😂😂😂). 

IMO DCI chose to prioritize easy, over equitable, and it has had negative effects. 

All due respect, 2007 was 16 years ago. Things are different now and way more expensive. Not to even get close to mentioning the logistics and safety measures that have changed since then. Open class corps simply wouldn’t travel all the way west. And I’d bet Jersey Surf wouldn’t either. 

3 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

All due respect, 2007 was 16 years ago. Things are different now and way more expensive. Not to even get close to mentioning the logistics and safety measures that have changed since then. Open class corps simply wouldn’t travel all the way west. And I’d bet Jersey Surf wouldn’t either. 

You'd lose every east coast and southern corps. As it is, the OC corps are expected to pay the same gas bills, the same housing bills, and the same food bills as the WC corps but without a paycheck at the shows to help offset the costs. We're not even allowed into the WC shows in our own backyards. If you want to know why we're dwindling, all you have to do is take a look at the expenses versus income and there ya go. (In before someone claims it's all the ###### props and costumes.)

10 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

4 minutes ago, cmchandler said:

You'd lose every east coast and southern corps. As it is, the OC corps are expected to pay the same gas bills, the same housing bills, and the same food bills as the WC corps but without a paycheck at the shows to help offset the costs. We're not even allowed into the WC shows in our own backyards. If you want to know why we're dwindling, all you have to do is take a look at the expenses versus income and there ya go. (In before someone claims it's all the ###### props and costumes.)

You're running face first into the point without actually realizing it. 

Yes, it's difficult to bring a corps completely across the country, and it's something that west coast corps have been doing for 15 years without a break. It's financially decimated more than one organization, and it's left a community of corps stranded out on the west coast with their seasons ending in mid-July. 

DCI decided that losing those corps, and putting the ones who decide to make the trip at a substantial financial disadvantage, to make things easier on themselves and the local corps. Screw everyone on the west coast right? That's a them problem. 

1 hour ago, bluehull said:

Stepping outside ? Outside of where ?  Maybe you call camping towing a 35' trailer  Maybe you could help by getting some platoon sized tents from government surplus and some unused M*A*S*H showers. Am sure the kids won't mind the Ticks and an occasional rattlesnake bite

"Radar i am taking a shower!"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Yes, it's difficult to bring a corps completely across the country, and it's something that west coast corps have been doing for 15 years without a break. It's financially decimated more than one organization, and it's left a community of corps stranded out on the west coast with their seasons ending in mid-July. 

DCI decided that losing those corps, and putting the ones who decide to make the trip at a substantial financial disadvantage, to make things easier on themselves and the local corps. Screw everyone on the west coast right? That's a them problem. 

I realize the problem. But “equitable” is a pipe dream fallacy. There are no good answers. The activity is better off as a whole to have a permanent home for finals than not. 

5 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

and those corps get a better share ratio for miles than everyone else for going to a location that cuts DCI a choice deal....and the money DCI gets goes back to....wait for it.....

the corps

1 hour ago, Grandpa Joe said:

I've been saying for years I don't understand why corps don't utilize the campgrounds. The kids already sleep on gym floors, what's the difference in camping other than you might get rained on stepping outside? 

And think of the money they could save on food by fishing and hunting for their own meals.

• Haha 2