DCI Semifinals - August 11, 2023

Yesterday was a great day of drum corps. Here are a few thoughts about today to spark discussion:

Everything went smoothly at Lucas Oil, at least from my vantage point. Lines were manageable, no entry snafus. Crowds are a bit bigger today, let’s hope the same is true.

It could be a battle Royal between Crossmen and Blue Knights for 12th. BK will not give anything away and Crossmen’s vastly improved show packs a punch and could be even more powerful today. I’m feeling 2012-like vibes from them.

Troopers will not want to remain in 11th. Blue Stars has more energy than many of us thought entering into Indy, Colts won’t give anything away. Perhaps this is not as intense as 5-7, it will still be a great match up.

5-7: This could be a “you never know” grouping. I think we’ll see Cadets remain in 5th. I think Phantom’s show is underrated by the judges and Mandarins is pretty fired up. 

Though “blood in the water” usually refers to sharks, don’t think Boston Crusaders isn’t out for blood and will be content with 4th place. Crown has shown us that the “sword is drawn” and while Bloo may want us to experience love among the flowers, they’ll be like the champion gardener who discovered a beetle on a prize rose bush when it comes to their competitors. BD knows the heat is on and will not get caught off guard. Scores will be tighter. All four will have great runs.

• Like 2

Just now, Tim K said:

Yesterday was a great day of drum corps. Here are a few thoughts about today to spark discussion:

Everything went smoothly at Lucas Oil, at least from my vantage point. Lines were manageable, no entry snafus. Crowds are a bit bigger today, let’s hope the same is true.

It could be a battle Royal between Crossmen and Blue Knights for 12th. BK will not give anything away and Crossmen’s vastly improved show packs a punch and could be even more powerful today. I’m feeling 2012-like vibes from them.

Troopers will not want to remain in 11th. Blue Stars has more energy than many of us thought entering into Indy, Colts won’t give anything away. Perhaps this is not as intense as 5-7, it will still be a great match up.

5-7: This could be a “you never know” grouping. I think we’ll see Cadets remain in 5th. I think Phantom’s show is underrated by the judges and Mandarins is pretty fired up. 

Though “blood in the water” usually refers to sharks, don’t think Boston Crusaders isn’t out for blood and will be content with 4th place. Crown has shown us that the “sword is drawn” and while Bloo may want us to experience love among the flowers, they’ll be like the champion gardener who discovered a beetle on a prize rose bush when it comes to their competitors. BD knows the heat is on and will not get caught off guard. Scores will be tighter. All four will have great runs.

Everything did go smoothly at LOS. Though I got to enter into the Friends of DCI gate. It seems trivial, but I do think it helps a lot as far as the congestion of entering the stadium.

Boston just didn’t really seem as loud as I had seen them previously or compared to other corps last night. It was honestly odd. Now I know they mic certain players and reinforce through the sound system (which I hate), but it was as if that meant the corps had to hold back to make sure the blend was right. Nah, if Boston wants to win this (or get second at least) they need to let loose 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Everything did go smoothly at LOS. Though I got to enter into the Friends of DCI gate. It seems trivial, but I do think it helps a lot as far as the congestion of entering the stadium.

Boston just didn’t really seem as loud as I had seen them previously or compared to other corps last night. It was honestly odd. Now I know they mic certain players and reinforce through the sound system (which I hate), but it was as if that meant the corps had to hold back to make sure the blend was right. Nah, if Boston wants to win this (or get second at least) they need to let loose 

Boston did not have a good run last night. 

1 hour ago, BeachBum said:

Let’s goooo

You should edit in the schedule

Edited by theonlyfizzle

16 minutes ago, Tim K said:

What do you propose that BAC improve upon?  They seemed quite strong Thursday.  Their weakness is GE, and barring any surprise addition/change to the show, I'm not sure they can find enough increase in scoring to overcome the gap.

11 minutes ago, drummergirl said:

Boston did not have a good run last night. 

So now BAC is pulling the "bad run last night" narrative? 🙂

Careful....I believe BD owns the exclusive right to that claim.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 90svet said:

What do you propose that BAC improve upon?  They seemed quite strong Thursday.  Their weakness is GE, and barring any surprise addition/change to the show, I'm not sure they can find enough increase in scoring to overcome the gap.

Let loose 

• Like 1

Dumb question.  What is "semi-finals" vs "prelims"?  
Looks like it dropped entries from maybe 30ish to 25.  Is that the intent?  I think I remember a cut line around 17 in the past, but now just seems to be the same schedule as yesterday, but with more special recognition type events used in place of the eliminated corps.  What's the point?