DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS SEMIFINALS

Last night was the best performance of the year for the Boston Crusaders....according members and staff I have spoken with, and my own eyes and ears.

I think they have one more great performance in them.   Tonight is your night to climb, Boston!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jimwolf359 said:

Decided the Wife and I are not going to miss Finals again. Just booked Super 3 Tics and Hotel (Hyatt Downtown) for next year. 👍

Yay! Love to hear it 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ContraFart said:

When 2 out of the 3 performance parts are in 4th place, it seems messed up that you are nearly 1.5 points ahead.

Of all your gripes man, I’ll never understand this one. Have you ever been a performer or taught? Individual field level skills are VASTLY different from box skills. It’s like saying VP and VA are the same.

You put yourself through hating BD so much every year. You need some hippie garden of love in your life, my friend.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Fair. I'd say the visual *program* this year is the most sophisticated in . . . probably ever, and the musicians are performing it to a level I've never seen at Troopers. So they are definitely improving their visual overall, but in order to get ful value out of it they'll need to figure out how to get the guard up the curve. I have faith.

On Monday Troopers need to do a ‘Tell the Truth Monday’ and address their guard program.  Boston was in same position a few years back and they figured it out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

No flaming coming from me. I understand the sentiment for sure. Blue Devils have a complex mix of visual content and musical repertoire. If we look at effect itself BD creates the most varied and numerous types of effect. They use a lot of musical styles in various genres, keys, tempos, and meter and mix with unique visual ideas to build effect. Visually they do not overuse ideas and do the best job of keeping the show moving forward. 

Their visual proficiency is incredible. Their detail in the upper body, legs, feet, movement synchronicity is still tops. 

Their guard clearly gave a masterclass last night. So much detail in body. The flag work was astonishing and the rifle work was the most exposed. 

In brass and percussion they no longer consistently win those captions...though they are capable. They took 4th in brass and percussion last night. But their music analysis is still fantastic and that has a lot to do with all the musical styles/genres and a perfect blending of those elements. 

Overall show design is a big deal. We all know this and if Bluecoats, Crown and Boston want to take the next step that is where it starts. They all did great this year. We'll see what happens tonight. 

*This*. People forget that variety is key when it comes to GE. And I personally know one of the effect judges tonight is big on variety of effects. We don’t want to see the same effect over and over again the entire show. 

BD manages to create a show with so many genres of music and styles of visual movement that add up in the variety of effects column. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Cadet Guardy said:

It would make sense?! Show me a spread like that in finals week, ever.. it’s absurd, in all due respect. 

I think Bluecoats guard has over achieved their book in the past, maybe it was 2019 or 2018? 

Content and Achievement, as you know are two different things. They are completely independent of one another. You could get a 7.0 in Content and if you performed that very easy book perfectly, you could get a 9.8 in Achievement.

I understand why it is confusing to some because we see throughout the whole season Content and Achievement scores being in line with one another. I think for most corps, at their first show, their Content numbers should be quite a bit higher than their Achievement numbers. I realize more Content (supposedly) becomes more visable over time and it certainly increases overtime, but I don't think something has to be clean to realize it's content. The first time I saw Star in '90 they were a mess, but everyone recognized the demand/content instantly. Regiment blew them away (I think by 6 points) and I knew that night if Star cleaned Regiment was toast!

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i expected it to widen. i thought BD much better tonight

Same. 

People need to look at the individual subcaptions and not the overall score. The captions BD is winning they are doing so by relatively small margins, but it's the consistency that creates a bigger gap when Crown, Boston and Bluecoats are all knocking each other down to 3rd, 4th, and in some cases lower. That creates a huge gap, and I think it's right on, honestly. The other three need to up their design to get the rewards BD does, and I really just don't know how they can do that, because they are already amazing. 

It's a pistol.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

honestly the spread is because of the flip flopping in captions between 2-4. if Crown were a solid 1st or 2nd across the board, they have a higher score.  but with the sheets bouncing all over with them...and Crown's 6th in percussion, that keeps those 3 tight and pushes BD further out ahead

I've been saying that ALL season, but it seems to go ignored.

7 hours ago, CAtenhut said:

Crown fans probably wish there wasn't another night. I can't imagine their anxiety watching them get 2nd yesterday and 3rd tonight, knowing that they just missed the medals the past 3 competitive seasons.

That 2-4 and 5-7 battle has been everything we all expected it to be. Can't wait for tomorrow night!

I don't care where Crown finishes. It's one of my favorite shows of the year. In 1988 I would have rather finished 3rd or 4th than 2nd because that would have been so heartbreaking to be so close. 

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

No flaming coming from me. I understand the sentiment for sure. Blue Devils have a complex mix of visual content and musical repertoire. If we look at effect itself BD creates the most varied and numerous types of effect. They use a lot of musical styles in various genres, keys, tempos, and meter and mix with unique visual ideas to build effect. Visually they do not overuse ideas and do the best job of keeping the show moving forward. 

Their visual proficiency is incredible. Their detail in the upper body, legs, feet, movement synchronicity is still tops. 

Their guard clearly gave a masterclass last night. So much detail in body. The flag work was astonishing and the rifle work was the most exposed. 

In brass and percussion they no longer consistently win those captions...though they are capable. They took 4th in brass and percussion last night. But their music analysis is still fantastic and that has a lot to do with all the musical styles/genres and a perfect blending of those elements. 

Overall show design is a big deal. We all know this and if Bluecoats, Crown and Boston want to take the next step that is where it starts. They all did great this year. We'll see what happens tonight. 

I can't tell you how much I value you and how much I learn from you. Where were you 6 years ago when I was raging at another BD win? LOL.