Blu-rays No Longer A Thing?

Been away from the activity for a bit (obviously) and I remember there being issues with the rights to music used by the corps (let alone recordings used during shows), but is DCI really not selling blu-rays of finals any longer? Very distressing if true. Is there an alternative like FloMarching having prior competitions available for subscribers?

27 minutes ago, Rufus67 said:

Been away from the activity for a bit (obviously) and I remember there being issues with the rights to music used by the corps (let alone recordings used during shows), but is DCI really not selling blu-rays of finals any longer? Very distressing if true. Is there an alternative like FloMarching having prior competitions available for subscribers?

due to mechanical licensing, and costs to merge sounds with video i'm actually not sure how long its been since you could buy those.   later years had large gaps of silence if costs to secure rights outweighed the projected sales.   

10 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

due to mechanical licensing, and costs to merge sounds with video i'm actually not sure how long its been since you could buy those.   later years had large gaps of silence if costs to secure rights outweighed the projected sales.   

Or Tresona never approved the request. We're still waiting for a request from Southwind's 2017 show for one of the pieces in it.

2 minutes ago, cmchandler said:

Or Tresona never approved the request. We're still waiting for a request from Southwind's 2017 show for one of the pieces in it.

Tresona is a pain. It's all a pain. 

my sis n law works in rights and clearances (not for Tresona but for one of those big budget tv show producers who put out a new episode every week based on the national news...    she's very overworked)  But I asked her one time about this issue and her response was "there's so many layers to dig through when you need an artist's ok to use their stuff that its madness".   That email/phone call etc could have gone to them, and then the artist, their lawyer, rep, etc...  there's a lot of places it could, and often does, get lost, or ignored.  sigh.

• Like 1

The last year of physical video media from DCI was the 2019 season. Count me among those that would continue to buy them if they were produced. Physical media rules!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Dansize said:

The last year of physical video media from DCI was the 2019 season. Count me among those that would continue to buy them if they were produced. Physical media rules!

I second this. I have every DCI championship on DVD and Bluray, and if they kept coming I would keep buying. 

We are transitioning into a subscription and rent era where you own nothing. When it comes to my home entertainment, I would rather own it than lease it. I do not care if it is a physical disc or a digital download I can store on my NAS, I want control of the content I purchase. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There’s just not enough demand to offset the costs of the copyright. 

• Like 1

We are starting a musical theater program at my elementary school. We have a ton of help from a national theater organization and even with said help getting the money and rights correct is hard. I can't imagine the expense and effort is worth it for DCI.