CA Department of Justice sends Vanguard second delinquency notice as of Aug 25, 2023

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

And at times even trying to offer support I’ve felt pushed away by you. At times you come off my way or no way and even those that disagree with only minor points are enabling abuse. I’m not alone in feeling that either. And I’m no enabler. Speaking up on things here has cost me opportunities in the activity. But trying to help then feeling patronized because I don’t subscribe to every word used and demand levied makes me back off and not be as supportive as I would or could be…. And I’m not alone in feeling that with you.

Is it possible that someone with my professional and lived experiences might know more about safeguarding than the average, or most DCPers here though? And, in turn, because of this, that even small slips of language contribute to an overall culture of permitting or enabling a culture of abuse?

Or that stating such sternly and directly is intimidating but not inaccurate?

Anyone in the safeguarding field that doesn't acknowledge their own history of contributing to aforementioned culture is diluting themselves. I did. Universal you did. We all did and do. I am imperfect. But I'm also here to share what I've learned after a career dedicated to this very problem that started with what I endured at The Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps. I simply can't sugar coat everything, but have honestly done my best to walk this community through my process, providing verifiable, trusted resources along the way.

That is why I'm stern about it. BC I've witnessed time and time again how slips of phrase, covert action, or ignorance allows the culture of abuse to continue. And then I've helped victims pick up the pieces. This is my expertise. Explaining it all as an advocate is something I've learned on my own and yes, I'm imperfect at it.

(More "I" statements because of the many "you" statements in quote above.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So that only worked in one case.

DCI cannot fix a hunkered down corps BOD.  All DCI can do is kick a corps out of DCI.  The corps has to want DCI so much that they will do whatever is required to maintain/regain their relationship with DCI.

Well one board refused to budge. And I hate losing corps but it’s clear pioneer wouldn’t fix itself until the Don and his family were removed. Cadets and even Troop  18 years ago saw the need to change and fix things.

From the corps’ August 4 Organizational Update:

“Vanguard Music and Performing Arts (VMAPA) is in a much healthier place than where we were at the end of the 2022 tour. The organization has achieved its short-term fiscal goals of returning to current status with all vendors and is steadily working toward restoring our capital and endowment fund. This strategy has aided in the ability of the organization to not only consider a return for 2024 but to do so with an eye on ensuring our business model is sustainable into the future. Our accountants are also working closely with the Operations Team to complete our audits and meet our extended deadlines.

Umm…I hope they’re working on that quickly. This second notice seems to make this statement seem even more like an attempt to blow smoke up our collective derrières. 

I still hope they can get their #### together, because DCI is better with SCV in it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Is it possible that someone with my professional and lived experiences might know more about safeguarding than the average, or most DCPers here though? And, in turn, because of this, that even small slips of language contribute to an overall culture of permitting or enabling a culture of abuse?

Or that stating such sternly and directly is intimidating but not inaccurate?

Anyone in the safeguarding field that doesn't acknowledge their own history of contributing to aforementioned culture is diluting themselves. I did. Universal you did. We all did and do. I am imperfect. But I'm also here to share what I've learned after a career dedicated to this very problem that started with what I endured at The Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps. I simply can't sugar coat everything, but have honestly done my best to walk this community through my process, providing verifiable, trusted resources along the way.

That is why I'm stern about it. BC I've witnessed time and time again how slips of phrase, covert action, or ignorance allows the culture of abuse to continue. And then I've helped victims pick up the pieces. This is my expertise. Explaining it all as an advocate is something I've learned on my own and yes, I'm imperfect at it.

(More "I" statements because of the many "you" statements in quote above.)

All I can do is wish you luck and hope you understand why maybe you don’t get the results you want.

in real life I’m a demanding #####. But I also realize sometimes words DO matter and to get results I have to use different ones or maybe explore different ways to go about achieving results I want. But you do you

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

Well one board refused to budge. And I hate losing corps but it’s clear pioneer wouldn’t fix itself until the Don and his family were removed. Cadets and even Troop  18 years ago saw the need to change and fix things.

And as I understand it, Troopers never went to the extreme of the BOD hunkering down and requiring replacement.  The BOD stepped up starting in October 2005.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And as I understand it, Troopers never went to the extreme of the BOD hunkering down and requiring replacement.  The BOD stepped up starting in October 2005.

true. but DCI's silence here is incredibly noticeable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, year1buick said:

From the corps’ August 4 Organizational Update:

“Vanguard Music and Performing Arts (VMAPA) is in a much healthier place than where we were at the end of the 2022 tour. The organization has achieved its short-term fiscal goals of returning to current status with all vendors and is steadily working toward restoring our capital and endowment fund. This strategy has aided in the ability of the organization to not only consider a return for 2024 but to do so with an eye on ensuring our business model is sustainable into the future. Our accountants are also working closely with the Operations Team to complete our audits and meet our extended deadlines.

Umm…I hope they’re working on that quickly. This second notice seems to make this statement seem even more like an attempt to blow smoke up our collective derrières. 

I still hope they can get their #### together, because DCI is better with SCV in it.

I noted that they did not say who extended the deadlines. Was it DCI or the state? My guess it was DCI, because it seems unlikely the state would have sent a second delinquency notice if they had granted VMAPA a deadline extension. It has always been within VMAPA’s power to be transparent about what is going on vis a vis the State of California, but they have chosen not to be. For me, that would be another red flag that VMAPA is putting out potentially misleading news releases.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

All I can do is wish you luck and hope you understand why maybe you don’t get the results you want.

in real life I’m a demanding #####. But I also realize sometimes words DO matter and to get results I have to use different ones or maybe explore different ways to go about achieving results I want. But you do you

My understanding as to why results are not forthcoming at the pace I crave is multifaceted and includes my own faulty contributions.

We have long agreed that words matter. I've referred to your saying as much in previous threads.

I've already welcomed anyone here to coach me on, or outline a better approach. No takers so far, only "we don't like how you're doing it." Very few have done what I'm doing, so there's no play book here. But I have reached out to others on the activity who have. One is a survivor of Hopkins' abuse.

They've all greenlit my actions and poured on the gas. Not one has pumped the brakes.

12 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I'm from Southern California and I doubt you care anything at all about the Santa Clara Vanguard or what they mean to this activity.   

Apparently, you don't read either. I'm not a broken record, I won't repeat myself. Believe what you want to, even if it is in ignorance based on what I've posted on this very thread.

56 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Knew that going into it. Most offer criticism rather than help or support.

Most aren't ready for that conversation either, as we've discussed privately. Difficult conversations are difficult to have, and if it doesn't involve them, it's easy for them to push it to the side for a later date or ignore it entirely.