CA Department of Justice sends Vanguard second delinquency notice as of Aug 25, 2023

12 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

They meet on the last weekend of September.  If either the DCI membership or CEO are going to take action, it will probably occur then.

they had to know this was building. i know tour is the primary focus as it happens but the whole board isn't corps directors. and as more info came to light over the last year...sent to them as we have seen here....just wow.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Well fellow students of the world, feel free to outline how whistleblowers should have gone about this process.

I'm all ears.

I hear your frustration. I can only speak for the comments I have made and words I have chosen.  I do not speak for anyone else on this thread.  There is no outline for how whistleblowers should report beyond what is listed as federal law and most of that only deals with retaliation. And even then, retaliation still occurs. Most law regarding reporting and retaliation is obtuse at best and deals more with the Enron's of the world and less with the member abuses and me toos of the world.  Even the SOX law only really required outside auditing and double check signing at minimum. 

I want to make sure that I am being clear here that telling a person that hubris is the great de-railer of cause is not an attempt to minimize the whistle in the first place but to state that one may win greater support without centering oneself in the middle of the report.  While the broader goal is to bring SCV to some kind of reconciling with the state, far too often that gets drowned out with a lot of personal desires and self acknowledgement and aggrandizing.  It looks less like whistleblowing and more like a personal vendetta. It needs to stay in the realm of whistleblowing versus personal agenda (which is what it appears like more and more).

And that NYT book review was interesting in that the author spoke about how we communicate and interpret our world around us and we move in our bubble.  That's not even a just summary but it was interesting enough for me to want to dive in further.  I wanted to acknowledge that unlike many others, I do often click hyperlinks provided to me.  Admittedly I need to actually educate myself a bit further about what adversarial collaboration is before I can comment on it as a method.  I take it though, that it is something you believe as a beneficial method.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm from South ZCentral PA and i care a lot about SCV and what they mean to the activity. for decades they were viewed not just as great on the field, but off the field as well. GR a legend. bingo was a model for all before BD took it next level.

and right now what they mean to drum corps is a huge example of how not to be off of the field. and it seems it gets worse as time rolls on.

Can't disagree.  Especially with the last paragraph but would only add GR was indeed a genius, legend, and also a bit complicated......as many leaders are/were in and outside of the activity.  

2 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Can't disagree.  Especially with the last paragraph but would only add GR was indeed a genius, legend, and also a bit complicated......as many leaders are/were in and outside of the activity.  

few at the top of any business are saints 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

On the other hand, if your org had a huge brick-and-mortar bingo operation with lots of cash changing hands and a demonstrable need for in-person oversight, maybe being local would be a plus.

It will matter if the mission statement for a drum corps non-profit omits the words "drum corps", as so many do now.

The standard setter for longevity, stability and excellence in the DCI era is self-destructing as we look on.  But the bigger problem is the personal style or tone of those trying to do something about it?

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

On the other hand, if your org had a huge brick-and-mortar bingo operation with lots of cash changing hands and a demonstrable need for in-person oversight, maybe being local would be a plus.

It will matter if the mission statement for a drum corps non-profit omits the words "drum corps", as so many do now.

The standard setter for longevity, stability and excellence in the DCI era is self-destructing as we look on.  But the bigger problem is the personal style or tone of those trying to do something about it?

Oversight for Bingo should be a PAID position managed by the CFO ( paid) and their staff (also paid) and yes should be local to the operation.  That is far too laborious for a VOLUNTEER board position even if that position is Treasurer.  A board treasurer provides oversight to the overall finance and auditing process.  The missteps that I call out concerning their board was the "greenlight at all costs" checkwriting that the BOD approved from 2019-2022 that collapsed the organization as well as failure to audit their org and stay on par with the State of California.  THOSE missteps all lie at the feet of the BOD.  

Who you hire should align with your mission statement but doesn't necessarily mean "drum corps".  Many mission/vision statements now say "performing arts/music education" because the broader description allows for diversification of programming and potential revenue streams.  A healthy org hires a person that can help deliver that mission statement and the hope is that person shares some sort of aligned passion and experience for the mission.  

I never said the bigger problem was Richard's tone and delivery.  I never said that was bigger than the topic of SCV at any point.  I simply said his tone and centering was getting in the way of a clear message and willing listeners in regards to the HUGE issue that is SCV.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

The house was pretty well cleaned and started from scratch 

That's what I thought.  Also, DCI required this of PIO too Right?  And they chose not to comply which is why they lost member status?  

On 8/29/2023 at 10:34 AM, scheherazadesghost said:

This is all made worse by few alumni monitoring the situation who are well-versed in nonprofit governance, so someone like me is kept at far away. Easy to agree that the board is handling it when you don't know what a board is supposed to look like from top to bottom.

Is a "not" missing between "who are" and "well-versed"? Otherwise this paragraph confuses me.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, flugelswerebugels said:

Is a "not" missing between "who are" and "well-versed"? Otherwise this paragraph confuses me.

Edit to add: Actually no, but I'll explain. Original statement was:

"This is all made worse by few alumni monitoring the situation who are well-versed in nonprofit governance..."

Simplified, I'm saying "few alum are well-versed in nonprofit governance."

This is made apparent by the current state of things, how long it's been going on, and the professional profiles of those involved that I've objectively reviewed. In this environment, where alumni oversight is not bolstered by numerous experienced nonprofit experts, mistakes are bound to be made.

Yes, thank you. Will go edit that.

Another flaw in my approach: verbosity leads to mistakes and confusion. 😎👍🏽

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Reggi93 said:

I hear your frustration. I can only speak for the comments I have made and words I have chosen.  I do not speak for anyone else on this thread.  There is no outline for how whistleblowers should report beyond what is listed as federal law and most of that only deals with retaliation. And even then, retaliation still occurs. Most law regarding reporting and retaliation is obtuse at best and deals more with the Enron's of the world and less with the member abuses and me toos of the world.  Even the SOX law only really required outside auditing and double check signing at minimum. 

Thank you. This helps detail the context for readers.

I want to make sure that I am being clear here that telling a person that hubris is the great de-railer of cause is not an attempt to minimize the whistle in the first place but to state that one may win greater support without centering oneself in the middle of the report.  While the broader goal is to bring SCV to some kind of reconciling with the state, far too often that gets drowned out with a lot of personal desires and self acknowledgement and aggrandizing.  It looks less like whistleblowing and more like a personal vendetta. It needs to stay in the realm of whistleblowing versus personal agenda (which is what it appears like more and more).

I understand this point and you are not alone in this thread.

And that NYT book review was interesting in that the author spoke about how we communicate and interpret our world around us and we move in our bubble.  That's not even a just summary but it was interesting enough for me to want to dive in further.  I wanted to acknowledge that unlike many others, I do often click hyperlinks provided to me.  Admittedly I need to actually educate myself a bit further about what adversarial collaboration is before I can comment on it as a method.  I take it though, that it is something you believe as a beneficial method.  

Cool. Adversarial collaboration is one approach that I've been in praxis with, as collaboration was a mainstay of my graduate studies and professional career. It is a beneficial method that can help groups objectively address their differences in opinion and build constructive information from them. It need not be hostile or in bad faith, in fact, that is where the word adversary might confuse some. It's merely meant to convey two parties that approach each other from firmly opposite views, highlight differences, and are committed to hashing those differences out. Perhaps "oppositional collaboration" is more accurate, softer and more in-line with what I'm driving at. But the official nomenclature is "adversarial collaboration."

Edited by scheherazadesghost
grammar, typos
  • Like 2