A tribute to George Zingali (video)

Saw somebody with this quote about the cross to cross on a facebook thread:  "32 years and we are still searching for a better drill move."  I suspect we're going to be looking a lot longer than that.  🙂

• Like 2

I wish Cadets would do a Zingali tribute show.  Doesn't have to be a rehash musically, etc, but with his style of whiplash drill and some of the most iconic moments.  You could make the theme expand to remembering loved ones lost & celebrating their lives.  Packed with the right music, just imagine the emotional punch - and yes, closed with the Cross to Cross.

Harvey

2 hours ago, TexasPRfan said:

I wish Cadets would do a Zingali tribute show.  Doesn't have to be a rehash musically, etc, but with his style of whiplash drill and some of the most iconic moments.  You could make the theme expand to remembering loved ones lost & celebrating their lives.  Packed with the right music, just imagine the emotional punch - and yes, closed with the Cross to Cross.

Harvey

sadly that type of drill for the whole show wouldn't do well in todays world.

4 hours ago, musicteacher said:

Ah, but if George was around, he would have adapted in his own way.

Exactly. Honestly because of the way it's discussed that wrote drill, a prop would have simply become a piece of the shape of the set or whatever. When I think of George based on what I have seen and read from people who worked with him, he seems part artist and part architect. The artist paints the picture and the architect molds his or her design to have the picture wrap around the framework. 

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

sadly that type of drill for the whole show wouldn't do well in todays world.

Agreed, but you could blend modern staging & props with some iconic drill moves and references to them pretty seamless I think.  The last two years there has been a noticeable trend back towards drill vs 2018-2019.  I've heard from some pretty "in" visual judges that they think that trend will continue.  We shall see I suppose.  Back to my point, I really think there is a way to do this, and it would be an emotional powerhouse.

On 9/14/2023 at 10:51 AM, TexasPRfan said:

Agreed, but you could blend modern staging & props with some iconic drill moves and references to them pretty seamless I think.  The last two years there has been a noticeable trend back towards drill vs 2018-2019.  I've heard from some pretty "in" visual judges that they think that trend will continue.  We shall see I suppose.  Back to my point, I really think there is a way to do this, and it would be an emotional powerhouse.

i dont see anyone really trying to go all out...because they want the score

On 9/13/2023 at 4:28 PM, musicteacher said:

Ah, but if George was around, he would have adapted in his own way.

On 9/13/2023 at 9:03 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Exactly. Honestly because of the way it's discussed that wrote drill, a prop would have simply become a piece of the shape of the set or whatever. When I think of George based on what I have seen and read from people who worked with him, he seems part artist and part architect. The artist paints the picture and the architect molds his or her design to have the picture wrap around the framework. 

On 9/14/2023 at 1:31 PM, TOC said:

Would he like rectangular type parade formations, jogging to other formations, props for staging purposes, ect.?

With extra time for thought and consideration for some of the props he did use in Star years, George might have come up with some interesting ones in today's DCI.  

• Like 1