Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

1 hour ago, Richard Lesher said:

The DOJ notices are real. All things being crazy and emotional, the DOJ stuff is dead serious. 

When considering what the DOJ notices say, and considering what SCV is saying realize, the DOJ is like the department of motor vehicles. They truly do not care.

Forms come in, and if they are not right they are kicked back. If the fees are wrong they are kicked back. If audits are not completed the registration is never made current. Ever try and register your car without a smog check, and hope the DMV just takes your payment and ignore you didn't smog you car? Yea, it's not going to happen. 

This is what is freaking me out so much. SCV could submit total trash in terms of financials and auditor comments it would still meet the state's standards so long as something was submitted, boxes where checked, fees were paid, and the correct form was used. 

The IRS 990 could indicate SCV is losing $10,000,000 a year and as long as it's audited and all the forms are done correctly I would have absolutely nothing to stand on. 

The problem is now, they started 2023 in default which indicates they have no reserves of non bingo revenue saved, and without the member fees from the corps they are clearly paying Bingo employees with bingo revenue in FY 2023. 

What about donations to pay Bingo salaries? Well, because they are delinquent they are prohibited by state law from soliciting donations. Even in a good year that still wouldn't have been enough by itself. So there's that. 

Additionally........... if one takes into account when SCV's expired registration started and looks purely at their 990's they submitted there is over $1,000,000 of donations that shouldn't have been there. We also don't have FY2022 or FY2023 numbers. 

To add to that, SCV to this very moment continues to have up their Donation Pages of there website. I would say that's an argument for solicitation. SCV might argue otherwise, but an entity expired and delinquent since 2020 shouldn't be splitting hairs so close to the edge of compliance. 

If one reads the whole DOJ letter SCV is given another 60 days (from 16-NOV). From what I can tell, another letter will follow after 60 days, and with no action the DOJ will give a notice to revoke or suspect the non profit status, and give another 60 days from there. 

So............. SCV is 120 days from 16-NOV-2023 to getting a cease and desist notification with a corresponding tax bill. 

That is literally what SCV is facing right here, right now. 

You sent info / email on SCV current protracted delinquency status and potential non profit status revocation.... and still no response back from anyone at DCI here the end of November ?

On 11/28/2023 at 10:54 AM, Slingerland said:

It's a family business, as far as he's concerned. So no.

I’d be more nuanced than that. 

If you worked for something your entire life and still hold it together (there is s corps hall, a land and a bingo going on with plan for a new multi purpose building on the land), you don’t necessarily want to let it all go if you are not convince that you got the right person. 

Would you give anything you have/worked for your entire life to someone you know will not make it work in the short, medium or long term. 

and yes, you don’t know for sure, but you have to make a call. 

Edited by Old Guy

On 11/28/2023 at 11:26 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Just gave me the creeps… must have been van going to Finals. Everyone else talking and looking around. There RB is… just.. looking… straight… ahead with a blank look. Like he was above acknowledging the people around him or wth?

I’d advocate that if no one wants to look and talk at you or even if it’s only you that feels like that, may be you try to be as small as possible or just feel terribly embarrasses. 

I don’t know. But I don’t think he felt above anyone. 

Edited by Old Guy

8 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I’d be more nuanced than that. 

If you worked for something your entire life and still hold it together (there is s corps hall, a land and a bingo going on with plan for a new multi purpose building on the land), you don’t necessarily want to let it all go if you are not convince that you got the right person. 

Would you give anything you have/worked for your entire life to someone you know will not make it work in the short, medium or long term. 

and yes, you don’t know for sure, but you have to make a call. 

Part of issue is RB personal finances are apparently intertwined w/ Pioneer finances.   That complicates things. 

55 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Part of issue is RB personal finances are apparently intertwined w/ Pioneer finances.   That complicates things. 

It is. 

how many directors over the years took ten thousand of $$$ in their personal pocket to help their corps to the next day or as short term help while waiting for the next fundraising, etc. 

How many had work for free for expended period of time? 

Is it good practice? No. 

But would you shot down half the corps left because they all did it. 

We begin to live in a world where volunteering start being look like abuse!  A strange world in my view! 

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It is. 

how many directors over the years took ten thousand of $$$ in their personal pocket to help their corps to the next day or as short term help while waiting for the next fundraising, etc. 

How many had work for free for expended period of time? 

Is it good practice? No. 

But would you shot down half the corps left because they all did it. 

We begin to live in a world where volunteering start being look like abuse!  A strange world in my view! 

Sie Lurye sold off his flat lots in Chicago to keep RA going.  I’m sure there are dozens of stories like that.  There were a couple of parents who put up their homes as collateral for the Guardsmen.  I personally thought that was insane. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Maybe “Old Guy” = RB? :whistle:

Ha ha ha 

Not that old. 😂 

But I like the man and felt he did more to help anyone than any one else in drum corps. He got my respect for that. 

But if you look at the life of anybody with with a magnifier you will always 100% find things that shouldn’t be there and that we are not too proud. 

10 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

You sent info / email on SCV current protracted delinquency status and potential non profit status revocation.... and still no response back from anyone at DCI here the end of November ?

No, I didn't notify DCI regarding the latest November DOJ notice. 

Remember............. I submitted an ethics complaint to DCI regarding Cadets not being a registered charity with the state of Penn. To be sure of myself I reached out to the state of Penn. and got confirmation from the Department of State of PA confirming as such. 

It was at this time I submitted the complaint with the Dept of State notice from PA to DCI ethics channels and Dan Acheson himself e-mailed me saying based on what the Cadets say they are good to go. 

Then the media manager of Cadets e-mailed my personal e-mail accusing me of makings false claims against Cadets. 

The the FOLLOWING WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boom.......... lawsuit is public regarding Cadets, and then the BS crapping all over me stops, well, well, well. 

DCI is complicit in continuing the ruse of improper conduct of Cadets. 

I'm done notifying DCI, it is merely composed of the organizations that are the violators it should be governing. 

Edited by Richard Lesher