Member Safety Training and Mandatory Reporting Question

6 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Wait a minute. Are you telling me that the full force of the military tackling this problem continuously since Tailhook didn't fix it permanently?

So weird.

You always get idiots coming into the group. I started IT 1980 and female friend started 1982. She was a math major and only female in her major at college. Very few females in the STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) fields then and even less in management.

We get together and sometimes talk about the changes in our workplace over the (gag) decades. Bottom line it’s better but never will be perfect because of human nature

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

You always get idiots coming into the group. I started IT 1980 and female friend started 1982. She was a math major and only female in her major at college. Very few females in the STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) fields then and even less management.

We get together and sometimes talk about the changes in our workplace over the (gag) decades. Bottom line it’s better but never will be perfect because of human nature

Indeed. This is always my argument. The problems we're addressing herein are never fixed.

Even with the utmost diligence,  they're only minimized, damage to victims is minimized post-violation, bystanderism is reduced, and allies know how to respond better. Oh and violators and their enablers are held accountable. This includes the low percentage of instances of false reports.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Indeed. This is always my argument. The problems we're addressing herein are never fixed.

Even with the utmost diligence,  they're only minimized, damage to victims is minimized post-violation, bystanderism is reduced, and allies know how to respond better. Oh and violators and their enablers are held accountable. This includes the low percentage of instances of false reports.

And I think this statement holds the key. The marching arts are playing catch up. For years issues went completely unaddressed. We are still in react mode for the most part at this point, mitigating damage rather than proactively heading it off. The better the training, reporting and accountability, the less issues should arise. It's a HUGE task and one that's difficult to accomplish in a short time. Add to that a culture change for many corps and that makes the task even more challenging. But the key is to approach it as a challenge rather than a problem and get down to the hard work. My .02 cents

• Thanks 2

Tiny incremental changes are the sad reality of how the behavior of large groups changes.  Agonizingly slow.   

There are still people who don't have much empathy and automatically blame victims for not immediately reporting it to authorities, but that sentiment is less prevalent now than 5 years ago.  People at least consider why that didn't necessarily work in the past and how we can take steps to make it work better in the future.  

• Like 2